Why become a member? ×

Phil Lesh bass, Sunshine Daydream concert 1972

Richard R

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

8f3eab3102d07bc936f0a70ed366db3a.jpg

Alembic did a few discrete mods to a Guild Starfire for him :)

Its the bass that made me love the look of lots of electronics, kmobs and switches. I love a crazy layout like that.

Too cool.

On 28/01/2023 at 19:04, ahpook said:

8f3eab3102d07bc936f0a70ed366db3a.jpg

Alembic did a few discrete mods to a Guild Starfire for him :)

Also is that there in the middle the battery for whole preamp, and attached with strips of copper tape?

If that is the case you would think they could have come up with a less hack like and more practical/easily accessible solution with all that overengineering otherwise going on there.

I do love the 60's sci-fi spaceship control panel aesthetics of it though, but would have been even better if they had cramped in some flick switches as well, and used a variety of different knobs.   

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 30/01/2023 at 10:14, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also is that there in the middle the battery for whole preamp, and attached with strips of copper tape?

If that is the case you would think they could have come up with a less hack like and more practical/easily accessible solution with all that overengineering otherwise going on there.

I do love the 60's sci-fi spaceship control panel aesthetics of it though, but would have been even better if they had cramped in some flick switches as well, and used a variety of different knobs.   

I'd guess it's another pickup, but it does look a bit lashed {leshed} up ?

It does look very cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

I'd guess it's another pickup, but it does look a bit lashed {leshed} up ?

It does look very cool.

;) *ba-dum-chi!*

Ah, of course, makes sense, must be that Quad Pickup mentioned in the control pictogram. 

Also just found a video with a recording of a song from that concert.

Must admit I was never any big Grateful Dead fan, but actually did sound very nice, and the bass sounded no less than awesome on that recording, also really like Lesh's very meandering bass play, that almost magically just fits in perfectly and never gets in the way despite being all over the place, almost like a paradox.

Maybe I really ought to check out some more Grateful Dead stuff, the few songs I have heard just always came off as a bit boring, kind of too straight and off the mill bland, for my taste, but perhaps I just need to keep away from studio recordings and stick to their live stuff, sure does seem like that is where the real magic is happening.

Liked just about every live recording I've watched and heard with them so far, but disliked every studio recording I've heard, or well maybe dislike is too strong a word to use, leaving me completely indifferent would be more accurate. 

This one:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

54 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I just need to keep away from studio recordings and stick to their live stuff

Absolutely this.

GD completely passed me by until a couple of years ago when I asked Findave of this parish for a recommendation of what to listen to. And the live recordings are definitely where the magic is.

Because they encouraged both fan and desk recordings and bootlegs,  pretty much everything got recorded, and a lot is now on CD.

Cornel 5/8/77 is the obvious starting point, and for a good reason. It's regarded as almost definite by some, but they played for 30 years, so there were a lot of good gigs.

The Sunshine Daydream concert is from '72 so a bit earlier. 

I then really like "Wake Up to Find Out -  Nassau Colluseum 3/29/1990" and "Crimson White and Indigo - July 7 1989' Different to the 70's concerts and to each other. The version of Birdsong on Wake Up to Find Out has a sax guest player. Originally just for that song they liked jamming with him so insisted he played the rest of the set. 

All the above are on Spotify,  and highly recommended. 

• Thanks 1