Why become a member? ×

Passive aggressive p-bass pickup recommendations?

MrDinsdale

Hey!

Got a Schecter P4 Exotic which I love, plays brilliantly etc. Over time I think I've come to the conclusion the EMG Metalworks pickups it shipped with aren't quite right for the project i'm in, even if they look awesome.

D8CF00BE-1DB2-460B-84E7-219B461BC005.thumb.jpeg.16b6b029eb9ba36098ab00820b5ae3a5.jpeg

Need something with a good aggressive mid range and ideally passive, needs lots of clanky noisy punky goodness. I really love the Schecter Monstertone pickups in my J4 but don't think you can purchase separately.

Control wise I'd probably go for a mute button, volume and maybe try a Stellartone tone pot. 

Nice! Will have to keep an eye out.

Will give the EMGs another go before committing to a change and have a play with their height etc but just not quite there. Should really try some of the different preamp voicings too i guess.

Will have a scout around for some audio samples of those suggestions 🙌

I've a Tonerider TRP1, although a little different from the norm, with HFV Heavy Formvar Wire, in a P Bitsa... Alnico

Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage JBV/PBV PJ set in a Bitsa Jazz... Alnico

With another KA PBV arrived for another Bass project.

All quite Warm and 'Vintage'...

I've an Entwistle PBX / JBX PJ set in an Aria Jazz Modder... Ceramic

A Bit Edgeier...

Budget, and Looking at the previous responses...

The Entwistle PBXN 'Neo' is meant to have 'Guts' but has disappeared of ebay of late...

Maybe a KA PBO Ceramic... bit more £  than the Entwistle... Or, Wilkinson? Ceramic again may be that bit more aggressive...

Stellartone...

Is this what you are after?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I've a Tonerider TRP1, although a little different from the norm, with HFV Heavy Formvar Wire, in a P Bitsa... Alnico

Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage JBV/PBV PJ set in a Bitsa Jazz... Alnico

With another KA PBV arrived for another Bass project.

All quite Warm and 'Vintage'...

I've an Entwistle PBX / JBX PJ set in an Aria Jazz Modder... Ceramic

A Bit Edgeier...

Budget, and Looking at the previous responses...

The Entwistle PBXN 'Neo' is meant to have 'Guts' but has disappeared of ebay of late...

Maybe a KA PBO Ceramic... bit more £  than the Entwistle... Or, Wilkinson? Ceramic again may be that bit more aggressive...

Stellartone...

Is this what you are after?

That is exactly what I had in mind! 👀

I've got an EMG GZR Geezer Butler in one of my Precisions and its one of the best all round pickups I've used. Lots of mids and plenty of grind when using a pick. I wouldn't let the Geezer bit sway you one way or the other, its a great pickup. I believe they modelled it on an early 60's Precision PU

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2023 at 17:49, MrDinsdale said:

Heard good stuff about the DiMarzio Model P, definitely one thats on my radar!

Here's a great demo of the DiMarzio Model P, compared to a regular standard stock Fender P pickup, that I think demonstrates the character and qualities of the Model P really well :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Here's a great demo of the DiMarzio Model P, compared to a regular standard stock Fender P pickup, that I think shows really well the character and qualities of the Model P :

Yum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Here's a great demo of the DiMarzio Model P, compared to a regular standard stock Fender P pickup, that I think demonstrates the character and qualities of the Model P really well :

Yeah thats exactly what I'm after ❤️❤️❤️ gonna get some ordered to got with the Stellartone B10!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got the model p and the stellar tone ready to fit🤘 just waiting on a vol pot and trying to decide if i want to include a series parallel switch or just plug the unused hole in the pick guard. They don't look as good as the EMG but pretty confident they'll make a huge difference tonally.

846FD198-D48F-4123-8FFD-1ABBE65570F0.thumb.jpeg.e8296db572d8313824c1daf93710a483.jpeg

• Like 3

And its done!

2AF452C6-EEB7-42E9-A344-9DDC5FE57C4B.thumb.jpeg.839ca225b5a5b38e165ff9f5dc318b40.jpeg

Need to get some new matching black knobs, the EMG pots have a smaller shaft so they don't fit the regular 6mm CTS or Stellartone ones i popped in.

Also still have to decide if i wanna plug the front hole or maybe pop in a parallel/series switch. Ive put crimp connectors on the electronics and its set up so i can easily add a dpdt switch without having to resolder it. Over did the amount of extra wire for manoeuvring so might clean that up soon at a later date!

A0FE44E4-5979-4734-B92B-CE5ED6E79084.thumb.jpeg.3a0270753ae8f49e5a0b537a67b88d8d.jpeg

Sounds fantastic though 🙌 will try and post some sounds later. 

• Like 1

PS only had a quick play but the Stellartone b10 sounds great, loads of tonal options available which (to me) immediately sound more useable than just rolling off the tone. Can get a really nice smooth sound but still keep all the raspiness in there to a a little more life. 

I wanna gonna suggest Seymour Duncan SPB3's, but I see you've made your choice.

I had one of these back in the late 90's, it was a really dark translucent red with the same black anodised pickguard.

This is the only other one I've ever seen, mine didn't have the daisy wheel neck adjuster though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

I wanna gonna suggest Seymour Duncan SPB3's, but I see you've made your choice.

I had one of these back in the late 90's, it was a really dark translucent red with the same black anodised pickguard.

This is the only other one I've ever seen, mine didn't have the daisy wheel neck adjuster though.

I agonised over sound samples between the model P, Nordstrand n4pa and Spb3/4. 

They were all excellent and i feel like the other two actually sounded better in the demos. The Model P however just sounded like it would instantly fit in my signal chain perfectly despite sounding less polished dry. It sounds great and with the Stellartone pot i can get some really nice scooped tones out of the box if needed 

The Schecter P4 Exotic is great, the subtle tobacco sunburst on the zebrano looks excellent. I've never liked sunburst but this is just right. Really love it, all black hardware is always the way. 

• Like 1

Coming from a Warwick and lots of wenge and bubinga this feels very lightweight! 😂 I think it's pretty average though really, my Schecter J4 feels slightly lighter possibly.

Ill be honest even with the upgrades/changes I still think my J4 is my favourite but this is now a pretty awesome backup for gigging or if i just need some punchy p-bass magic 🙌