Why become a member? ×

New LEFTIES from Fender!!

uk_lefty

2 hours ago, Oomo said:

Noticed they also have the Fender American Vintage II 1966 Jazz Bass for lefties too (as well the the American pro II). No idea about how it differs though to be honest.

I think visually it has the bound neck and colour-matched headstock common of the period. Not sure about pickup placement, fingerboard radius etc - but those are the things that standout.

If I was being nitpicky I'd have liked a limited Vintera range offered in lefty configuration but we've got some cool options now compared to days gone by!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived tonight.....

Really nice finish, smooth neck but the Pao Fero board looks like milk chocolate and the 12" radius will take a bit of getting used to.

Haven't plugged it in yet (can't get near my amps).

IMG_20230204_184815276_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230204_184714928.jpg

• Like 3

On 21/01/2023 at 09:50, uk_lefty said:

They've done it again... Fender have done the Player Plus range in left handed. PJ basses in three colours from what I've seen so far. They're on Thomann at £999.

Not after a bass atm, but I always liked to see (ehm... have) a Fender Boxer, lefty!

Not sure they even made it lefty though.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kevham said:

Mine arrived tonight.....

Really nice finish, smooth neck but the Pao Fero board looks like milk chocolate and the 12" radius will take a bit of getting used to.

Haven't plugged it in yet (can't get near my amps).

IMG_20230204_184815276_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230204_184714928.jpg

How's the colour in real life? That's the one I'd go for, even though I can't get on with PJs I'd probably just never use the J.

Colour is lovely. It is pearlescent which you can't really see in photos. Matched with the tort guard it looks class.

Mine has a small blemish on the back but not enough that I'll be sending it back.

I wish they would just use maple fingerboards though - Pau Ferro is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

I'm also a bit puzzled as to their choice of 12" radius for the board - it is very flat compared to any bass I've ever played before.

Still haven't been able to plug it in so can't comment on sound yet.

• Like 1

Ok I managed to get it plugged into my practice rig. A few observations:

1. In passive mode, there is no tone control. This means it cannot do classic P-bass or J-bass tones with the treble rolled off.

2. The active preamp is powerful - with everything centred it is much louder than in passive mode. The frequencies seem pretty good but it took me a while to dial in a useable tone without overloading my amp. I need to check if there is an output adjustment on the preamp 

3. The bass sounds good in both active and passive modes. Good clear PJ tones, nice middle P pickup and honky J pickup BUT you cannot roll the treble off. This could be a major issue for some folk.

4. The neck is surprisingly comfortable, fast and easy to play. I was wary at first but it has grown on me.

• Like 2

Pity you can't roll off the treble  - that's a deal breaker for me.

The board does look a little anaemic, reminds me of the Laurel one on the CV P I used to have.

It's a shame, as it looks great otherwise... Trying to look for reasons not to buy another P and struggling at the moment! 😄

Edited by rasher80
  • Like 1

Yep. I think they've made some mistakes with these. They should have stuck with maple boards and should have a passive tone (like Sire do).

On the plus side, it does mean it is quite different from a Player series P-bass.

I've noticed it's also slightly heavy although I am comparing it to my Overwater (swamp ash) and my Aerodyne Jazz.

• Like 1