Why become a member? ×

Good budget bass build

RnRDave

Hi all

So I'm considering putting a little budget bass build together and wondering what peoples thoughts are about harvesting parts from cheaper range bass's?

I'm talking Harley Benton, Fazley or J&D levels of budget. I'd really only be using the body, my reasoning for buying a ready built bass is I really don't want the faff and added cost of spraying it the colour I want (I can't find bodies that aren't unpainted or not black).

I have some decent pickups, bridge and tuners lying around so will just need to replace wiring harness.

The Fazley really has me hovering over the buy it now button...

Thoughts?

1658579010Fazley Outlaw Series Peacemaker Basic Blue_2.jpg

In my experience, when it comes to building a budget bitsa, it's the neck that is the crucial factor. As long as the body is sturdy enough to accept a bridge and is a colour, shape and condition that you're happy with, all is good. I'm sure that more learned BCers will be along to discuss tonewoods, but it's never been an issue for me in terms of choosing parts. Make sure the neck pocket is wide enough for the neck, otherwise that can open up a whole world of pain. On the other hand, one of my main gigging basses has a 2mm gap between the body and the neck of one side of the pocket. It's been like that for about 10 years, with no discernable issues.

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 4

I'm with @rushbo 100% regards the importance of the neck or lack of when it comes to body material.

Folk have the strangest notions about basswood, poplar, okoume or even pine, thinking them lesser timbers.

Tom Anderson has no problem using basswood bodies for guitars costing £4k. Nor does Ibanez, plenty £2k basswood models from them.

On 16/01/2023 at 06:57, RnRDave said:

The Fazley really has me hovering over the buy it now button...

Go for it.

Selling on the neck, pickup and hardware might get you back £40 to £50. Now £80 for under 4BF of alder is a lot of cash but

Stain generally takes a few trial and error sessions.

Poly isn't cheap or that quick.

Polishing takes time.

Add up the time it would take to thickness then plane & square the alder, joint it, cut out the body, router cavities and sand. Even if you paid yorself minimum wage, you won't bring that body in for £80 😀

• Like 1