Why become a member? ×

Comparison clips of my ol' Fenders

wateroftyne

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='473054' date='Apr 27 2009, 12:42 AM']Ooh, el cheapio. Thanks v. much.

Believe it or not in 20 years of playing I've never strung a bass with flats. I'm quite excited. :)[/quote]

Cool! Prepare to be.. underwhelmed. At least in the short-term.

For three reasons:

1 ) They feel very, very different to rounds. They're very smooth.
2 ) At first they sound clacky - it takes them a little while to mellow and sound as they should. However, they last for ever. I don't think any of the sets on the basses above are newer than three years old.
3 ) They don't sound great when you're noodling around the house. But that's not what they're for... sittin' in the mix is where they're at.

Have fun!

• 8 months later...

Hi all

I had an hour or so spare this morning, so here's a couple more clips if you're interested.

Again, totally non-scientific - watch in HQ if you can.

'71 Jazz, Cairnes pickups, roundwounds... a good illustration of the differences between the pickups:

71' Fretless P, PBR-1 onboard pre, roundwounds:

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='708998' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:11 PM']It's a jam on a line from a song called 'The Lambretta Twins' by The Caffreys, one of my bands.[/quote]

Oh right. It must just remind me of something else then... Cheers!

[quote name='Beedster' post='709030' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:35 PM']I'd a thread like this if I could play that well :)

Do you now get all the clariyty you want out of the ebony board Michael? Any idea how it compares with maple, I never A/B mine properly and wish I had

Chris[/quote]
Heh.. it's the only lick I know. I make a point of only joining bands with deaf people in so they don't notice I'm playing this over and over again through every tune. :rolleyes:

As for the ebony board... yep, it seems to have done the trick. I fancy putting Sunbeams on, but recording the clip above reminded me that I'll probably go straight back to flats...

Great array of different sounds. And gives plenty of food for thought. Liked the rosewoods a lot.
I like that riff, i might pinch it :) for jamming purposes only of course.

Good clips of the band via 'see my basses'.

Do you always play with no socks on? If so perhaps you should consider 'branding' yourself WoT the Barefoot Bassist. :lol: :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed that, quite interesting comparison.

I have a set of flats on my TRB fretless, only because they were on it when I bought it. They actually sound and feel good, however I do seem to get a bit of finger noise from my plucking hand which I've never noticed with roundwounds. Someone else tried my bass recently, who'd used flats before and he was quite impressed.

Maybe the past is the way forward...?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've made my mind up now. I'll have the '71 Rosewood please. Have it wrapped up and send to me as soon as possible.

And what Silddx said above - good bassline holding down a song. You can keep your "bass-as-a-lead-instrument" noodling as far as I'm concerned.... people that do that are just frustrated guitard-wannabees :)

[quote name='tredders' post='738758' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:09 AM']Ok, I've made my mind up now. I'll have the '71 Rosewood please. Have it wrapped up and send to me as soon as possible.[/quote]
Alas, that bass is perfect in every regard, and my most treasured posession. Nice try, though. :-)