Why become a member? ×

Pedal Board Builders?

redd

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this post??

Does anyone offer a pedal board building service in or around the NW of England? I love seeing your pictures of slick little temple audio boards with all the extra frills and attachments.  I've almost pulled the trigger on the kit a few times but in the cold light of day when I'm honest with myself I have to realised that there is no way I could put one together. I can barely wire a plug. 

Any recommendations welcome! 

• Like 1

There's no soldering or anything. 

It's like tetris. Just grab a board and a power supply, some velcro and work away.

I bet you can do it on your own!

Im sure you can do it with the help of basschat.

• Like 2

If I can do it, then you certainly can. 😃 Start simple and like @lidl e says - go for it. Even if you do decide to get someone to build it for you, you'll need to tell them where everything is going, the type of effects and the signal chain so you'll have to do some experimentation first. You may as well try putting your own board together.

Start off by deciding what is going on the board and in what order. There are plenty of ideas on this site and plenty of people who are willing to share their experience. Initially you can try out your 'board' on a piece of wood or cardboard without velcro. Get something you're happy with and measure the footprint of the resulting 'board'. You can buy or build your own board base (I made mine from offcuts of plastic fascia board from B&Q covered in black gaffa tape). Get velcro strips (mine came from Amazon) and transfer your template board to the real one. You can get power supply blocks or a wall plug and daisy chain leads (better than individual batteries) and before you know it, you have a board.

Then you'll see someone else's board on here and want to change/add/swap pedals. 😃

• Like 1

Gigrig do it. But they aren't cheap.

And unless you are looking for some really complicated systems you can do it yourself.

It is easier than wiring a plug.

The assembly is part of the fun - and it has a real world advantage: you get to know it, inside out. So if there's every a problem you know how to fix it or at least get round it until the end of the gig.

• Like 2

The guys from That Pedal Show (https://youtube.com/@ThatPedalShow) have some informative videos on YouTube about building your board and getting the right order of effects (although ultimately there’s no hard and fast rules with this sort of thing it’s whatever sounds right to you).

This is the playlist for building, order etc… https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlXYVdnj0oge-IB47Z2Ow-0TNUj7snQP9

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 2

Before buying a board work out what order you want your pedals, and how accessible each one needs to be from a performance PoV. IME anything that needs to activated mid-song is best placed on the front row where you can activate the foot switch without worrying about inadvertently hitting another one. Save the upper row(s) for pedals that are either always on or those that only need to be turned on and off between songs. 

• Like 3

On 31/12/2022 at 09:40, redd said:

Hi everyone, 

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this post??

Does anyone offer a pedal board building service in or around the NW of England? I love seeing your pictures of slick little temple audio boards with all the extra frills and attachments.  I've almost pulled the trigger on the kit a few times but in the cold light of day when I'm honest with myself I have to realised that there is no way I could put one together. I can barely wire a plug. 

Any recommendations welcome! 

FYI, i'm a long time effects user, but i've never put together an actual board. i alwasy just crried them around loose and used batteries

I have recently bought all the bits and I am about to embark on my own first build. I don't think i'll have any major issues besides space!

one thing to know, patch cables are expensive!

On 03/01/2023 at 16:01, lidl e said:

FYI, i'm a long time effects user, but i've never put together an actual board. i alwasy just crried them around loose and used batteries

I have recently bought all the bits and I am about to embark on my own first build. I don't think i'll have any major issues besides space!

one thing to know, patch cables are expensive!

I use EBS Flat patch cables as they save some space on a board. If space isn't a problem then the cheap Stagg ones are fine. It's not like Hendrix was buying snake oil patch cables for his iconic tones!

With a good power supply you'll save a fortune one batteries, especially if any of them are digital and have a high current draw. I've had some mad things in the past that used up a 9V in under an hour!

Whether you can get away with something simple like a One-Spot or if you'll need something with individually isolated outputs will depend on the pedals you have and whether they cause interference with each other when on the same supply. Just check the current draw on the pedals to make sure a supply can provide enough. Almost all makers have the information on their websites or in the pedal manual. Sometimes even on the bottom of the pedal itself.

Set up time is much faster with a board too. 1 power, 1 in, 1 out. That's it and you are ready to go.

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I use EBS Flat patch cables as they save some space on a board. If space isn't a problem then the cheap Stagg ones are fine. It's not like Hendrix was buying snake oil patch cables for his iconic tones!

With a good power supply you'll save a fortune one batteries, especially if any of them are digital and have a high current draw. I've had some mad things in the past that used up a 9V in under an hour!

Whether you can get away with something simple like a One-Spot or if you'll need something with individually isolated outputs will depend on the pedals you have and whether they cause interference with each other when on the same supply. Just check the current draw on the pedals to make sure a supply can provide enough. Almost all makers have the information on their websites or in the pedal manual. Sometimes even on the bottom of the pedal itself.

Set up time is much faster with a board too. 1 power, 1 in, 1 out. That's it and you are ready to go.

Good luck!

I got this fella

https://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_powerplant_iso_10ac_pro.htm

Reviews are excellent, it has switchable ports 9/12/18 and a USB power slot which i need for a midi controller for the future impact.

• Like 1