Why become a member? ×

Daisy Chain or Isolated PSU for a 2 pedal setup?

Chadu25

Is it okay to just daisy chain 2 pedals or better off buying small psu bricks like ernie ball volt or cioks dc4?

I'm putting together a microboard setup with the following:

TC spectradrive and a polytune 3. Will mount it on pedaltrain pedal booster 2. 

Any brands you'd recommend if daisy chaining would suffice? Will the truetone be okay or?

Truetone NW1-B - 1 SPOT Series - 9v pedal power supply https://amzn.eu/d/1tgTI8I

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

Cheers!

Screenshot_2022-12-30-12-43-43-11_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Daisy-chaining for two pedals is usually OK - just add up the current consumption of the two devices (it'll be underneath the pedals and given in milliamps (mA)), as long as you're not to pull too much current through the power supply then you should be OK...

Edit: Just checked the specs and the Onespot delivers 1.7A (1700mA), which is plenty!

According to their manuals the Spectradrive draws 250mA and the Polytune draws 45-50mA, so you're nowhere near the 1700mA limit!

One caveat though is mixing analogue and digital devices from the same PSU can sometimes introduce noise, but I don't remember having that problem when I ran the onespot.

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Daisy-chaining for two pedals is usually OK - just add up the current consumption of the two devices (it'll be underneath the pedals and given in milliamps (mA)), as long as you're not to pull too much current through the power supply then you should be OK...

Edit: Just checked the specs and the Onespot delivers 1.7A (1700mA), which is plenty!

According to their manuals the Spectradrive draws 250mA and the Polytune draws 45-50mA, so you're nowhere near the 1700mA limit!

One caveat though is mixing analogue and digital devices from the same PSU can sometimes introduce noise, but I don't remember having that problem when I ran the onespot.

Thanks mate! That's what I needed to know. Won't be introducing a digital device anytime though. Just want to build a micro board that has a tuner and a preamp as a grab and go board.

I have a cioks for my board and recently bought a 1spot for the pedals I don’t have on the board. 

I daisy chained 5 pedals, one digital and 4 analog and it was dead quiet.

Usually I’m in the buy once, cry once team but for those two pedals I would try the 1spot first. It doesn’t cost much and always good to have one around, even if you decide to upgrade.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2022 at 14:53, Chadu25 said:

Thanks mate! That's what I needed to know. Won't be introducing a digital device anytime though. Just want to build a micro board that has a tuner and a preamp as a grab and go board.

The tuner is digital, and also the drive and compression on the SpectraDrive preamp are digital too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

2 hours ago, Chadu25 said:

Thanks everyone! Here is my micro board. Bought a 1spot 9V adapter and a mooer 2 way daisy chain. Everything is working perfectly. Went with the Dáddario tuner instead for a more compact look. I used a pedaltrain booster 2 

dzwhvd8cjmaa1.webp

b7amvkocjmaa1.webp

Oh my god the bass 😲 I need details, what model/colour is this? 

14 hours ago, Lunoxx said:

Oh my god the bass 😲 I need details, what model/colour is this? 

It's a sunset vertical fade inspired by Justin Raines Saratoga finish. It's a 27" scale mini jazz bass by Elegee Custom Guitars from the Philippines. I had it specifically made so I can pass it on to my future kid 😃 should he/she have interest in the lowend. Mean time I get to enjoy it for now lol Here is a full body pic along with my main bass 😃

IMG20221127153313-01.jpeg

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be very surprised if two TC pedals couldn't share a daisy supply just fine.

In any case a suck'n'see approach is perfectly valid.

Back in the mists of time I had an incompatible pedal. All the supposedly iso supplies I tried weren't.

The pedal that popped wasn't going anywhere and the new addition was likewise staying so another faithful servant had to be substituted even though it wasn't doing anything aside from upsetting the newbie into messing up the other incumbent.

Sticking to two pedals will save you from that kind of puzzle solving.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Like 1