Why become a member? ×

Analog chorus - Jam Waterfall, Boss CE2w, providence anadime

lidl e

I need a good analog chorus pedal. 

What would you pick?  Anything besides these three?

Im actually thinking ripply fall (ehich includes the waterfall) but not sure i want to go that much.

Edited by lidl e

• lidl e changed the title to Analog chorus - Jam Waterfall, Boss CE2w, providence anadime

You've probably tried it, but the EHX Bass clone is about as good as it gets for that Nivarna 'Come as you are' (EHX Small Clone) sound while also having some good Bass specific features, I find the X-over is always useful in a bass chorus. Relatively cheap too.

Or, to not answer the question: I think chorus (and other modulation and delays) are one of the few effects that can sound just as good (or better) as digital rather than analogue. Source Audio Gemini is very good and can edit to make just about any chorus sound and also can do other modulation sounds like phaser and flanger. Or, I like the Boss CEB-3 for a subtle chorus, they used to be analogue and then went digital and as far as I have read from owners of both the digital sounds better.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 18:00, itu said:

tce SCF.

Mine is from 80's and still going strong. Three effects in one box, and superior performance compared to any other pedal mentioned earlier.

And recently reissued 

I ended up with a Tech21 bass boost chorus that makes me smile when I use it

Edited by LukeFRC
Stupidity
  • Like 2

I expect there are nearly as many opinions as there are chorus pedals.

I once bought about 6 new fuzz pedals at the same time so I could properly test them side by side with my setup, I knew I'd return 5 of them for refunds - which I did with no dramas (most shops make you pay for the return post now though, often it used to be free). Online orders might be killing the high street but it does have consumer benefits. So if your overdraft or credit card can handle it and you're up for the faff then that's what I'd do. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

tce SCF.

Mine is from 80's and still going strong. Three effects in one box, and superior performance compared to any other pedal mentioned earlier.

I know it, but i never knew a bassist with one. 

Every guitarist back in the day had it for sure.

Will check out the new one.

I have the TC Electronic Corona Chorus and I really don't like it. It seems to muddy the sound and no matter what toneprint I try, none are much good and sound quite processed. The tone dial also does nothing to change the overall tone. Super disappointed with it. I've also tried the Behringer Chorus pedal and it's not bad for a £20 budget starter pedal.

I use a lot of chorus and the three I've read good reviews on are the MXR M83 Bass Chorus Deluxe, Electro-Harmonics Bass Clone and Mooer Ensemble Queen Bass Chorus. I was going to give the Mooer a go being the cheapest but also tempted to try the Bass Clone.

Edited by Linus27

I love my Valeton Aquaflow Vintage Chorus, which to my knowledge is just about the only budget pedal ever made based on the legendary Boss CE-1 chorus circuit.

It sounds amazing, but unfortunately is was discontinued a couple of years back, but you might still be lucky to find a used one for cheap.

preview.jpg

Otherwise the EHX Bass Clone is pretty amazing as well, or if you don't need a super lush wobbly chorus, it's hard to beat the amazing, but relatively subtle, aethereal shimmering chorus effect of the Boss DC-2w, or if on a budget the great TC Electronic Third Dimension Chorus clone of it.

The Valeton Boss CE-1 based chorus kind of sit in between those two, it can get super lush, but don't really get super wobbly like the Bass Clone does on more prominent chorus settings, but rather maintain some of that aethereal shimmering quality of the DC-2 and the TC Electronic clone, even on more prominent settings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2