Why become a member? ×

How do you buy yours?

Buddster

Thanks for all the replies. 

So interesting comments and also a complete mixed bag. 

I agree that most store basses won't be set up to test properly anyway (they look like they haven't seen a screwdriver or allen key since being taken out of the box) and the thought of trying some show off slap or fancy jazz is a big no, so yes, taking plugin miniamp and headphones is a good idea. And a strap. PMT in Bristol used to have a small room you could have a tryout in (tbh they should stick the guitar buyers in there too, save us the suffering!) 

I can see that if you prefer say, a jazz, that buying blind would be fine as you know what you should get. But how do you know you like a jazz without trying a jazz first? Or a Stingray, or an Ibanez. 

So I bought a Squier jazz to see and now I know, but it was a gamble. I've also an SR which I bought because I love the look and thankfully love playing. So thats 2 for 2.

I should have gone to the SW bass bash! 

I went into one of my two local music shops this afternoon - wasting time while Mrs. Neepheid was in the hairdressers and meeting her for lunch after.  Unfortunately that only used up about 5 mins of my time and had to find other ways to kill time.  Bass offerings are really pitiful up here.  The other shop sometimes has interesting stuff in as they sometimes sell second hand instruments but it was too far from the hairdressers to be able to return promptly if I got the call.

So, trip to Glasgow, or buying online.  I wouldn't go to Glasgow specifically to try a bass I might not buy - 5 hour round trip at best.  Fuel and time?  Nah, I'll just get it delivered, thanks.  Even if I send it back simply because I don't like it, it would still cost me less than going to a shop with stock worth a damn.

How do I know what I want?  Trial and error.  Fitting a revolving door to your house makes things a bit more efficient ;)

• Haha 1

I've bought some basses after trying them, others I've bought online after making some effort to find out if they'll be OK for me - I don't get on with chunky necks, so that's the aspect I'm most concerned with. Bass Direct is in range for me, and I'll travel a couple of hundred miles for a bass or amp, so it's generally overseas sales that I don't get to check out at all. I've had a couple of Warwicks and an Esh Poseidon from abroad which were second-hand, and a number of Antoniotsais, and a couple of instruments from Thomann, so it's all seemed to work out OK so far.

When i was looking for a 5 stringer i drove 250 miles down to Bass Direct to try whatever Mark thought would suit my needs. Having tried the one bass i originally thought would work i was disappointed with the Spector bass and MArk offered me a few others. At no time was i pressured in any way altho i did end up with a Dingwall NG2 in black with maple neck that did the project i wanted it for and then i moved it on.

I've also visited Guitar Guitar in Glasgow and had no issues trying out various basses and again didn't feel under any pressure. In fact it can be rewarding getting some feedback and advice from assistants in shops who are usually bass players themselves. That's how i first came across a Sandberg. Guitar Guitar let me try one when i was looking at Fenders. I was most surprised how good it was. I made it clear from the start i was only just looking with a view to buying in a few months. 

I have bought most of my recent basses on line tho some new and some 2nd hand. 

I always advise to try before you buy. Its thhe best policy IMO.

Dave

• Thanks 1