Why become a member? ×

Talk about Bass

joel406

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

To be honest, this kind of attitude is not greatly appreciated here, either. Civility costs so little, and these lazy fashion insults reflect more on the user, really. I'm sure you're better than that; please don't prove me wrong. :friends:

is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

To be honest, this kind of attitude is not greatly appreciated here, either. Civility costs so little, and these lazy fashion insults reflect more on the user, really. I'm sure you're better than that; please don't prove me wrong. :friends:

A glaring irony here, probably too big for most folk to see round it...

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2023 at 01:21, Musicman666 said:

is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

How much did you pay for?

All times are metered if you can't get satisfaction within the time you paid for you are not tying hard enough and will have to pay extra. 🤣

Be quick about it as well the 3 inflation buses will be here soon.

• Haha 2

I don’t find TB as interesting or enlightening as this site. I’m a Yank who has lived in Cambridgeshire for 23 years and just started gigging this past year after decades off. The differences between the band culture here vs the American midwest are subtle but important to know. The freewheeling discussions on this site have been invaluable for helping me fit in.It’s a great community. 

I also own a Hartke kickback 12. Brilliant practice amp…adequate for jazz with the fretless…rubbish for anything else. 

• Like 4

100% agree BC is far more friendly and generally we dont jump on people for having a different viewpoint. We'd rather discuss first before the attack :laugh1:

I jest of course. 

BC is probably where i spend most of my on line time. I can always find a new topic for interest and most important i actually get good advice from the many experts on here. 

Even the daftiness questions get a result without being criticised. Its almost like a family but the difference being i can switch BC off :tatice_03: 

I find when i'm on TB i have to be very careful how i word things and as long as i post compliments i get left alone. To be fair there are some great guys on TB that i respect and admire and mostly on the Mesa Subway forum which is about all i use on TB.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

100% agree BC is far more friendly and generally we dont jump on people for having a different viewpoint. 

Rubbish! Where's your evidence? Please provide links to 19 different peer reviewed sources. Never heard such rot in my life. I'm reporting you to the mods! ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Rubbish! Where's your evidence? Please provide links to 19 different peer reviewed sources. Never heard such rot in my life. I'm reporting you to the mods! ;)

OH REALLY !!!!! and who do you think you are ????? 

I'm leaving this forum..........in a huff. :on_the_quiet:

Dave :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m nerdy about gear , and I’ve been on TB for over twenty years. I was an old Pbass guy that got into Rics and now seem to play just about anything but Fender shaped stuff. Today I seem to have a thing for Gibson shortscales and Danelectros. 
I always found people supportive and was able to consult with some who are recognized authorities. The beauty of the internet.
I initially started coming here to get some insight on amps and cabs that are popular in Europe and the UK but have very little presence in North America. 
I enjoy this site. 

Here in Nova Scotia the available gear in most music stores leaves a lot to be desired. And they only push what they have , so I am thankful to learn of other options.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, msb said:

I’m nerdy about gear , and I’ve been on TB for over twenty years. I was an old Pbass guy that got into Rics and now seem to play just about anything but Fender shaped stuff. Today I seem to have a thing for Gibson shortscales and Danelectros. 
I always found people supportive and was able to consult with some who are recognized authorities. The beauty of the internet.
I initially started coming here to get some insight on amps and cabs that are popular in Europe and the UK but have very little presence in North America. 
I enjoy this site. 

Here in Nova Scotia the available gear in most music stores leaves a lot to be desired. And they only push what they have , so I am thankful to learn of other options.

To be honest its much the same over here in Scotland. Local shops either have an Ampeg, Ashdown or a.n.other cheap range. Any US amps are "out of stock".

My Mesa gear i had to buy without trying because dealers didn't stock it. Things are a lot worse since pandemic.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be honest its much the same over here in Scotland. Local shops either have an Ampeg, Ashdown or a.n.other cheap range. Any US amps are "out of stock".

My Mesa gear i had to buy without trying because dealers didn't stock it. Things are a lot worse since pandemic.

Dave

Glasgow or GTFO, and even then it's merely "better than everywhere else" with a low bar to clear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Close - Get The F Out (of here, I suppose).

Thought i'd ask just in case there's a shop in Glasgow i wasn't aware off.

Its odd but i've honestly felt that attitude in some music shops. Its as if you're taking up their valuable time and they could be doing something else rather than watching me walk around a bass dept. Much sadness.

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Thought i'd ask just in case there's a shop in Glasgow i wasn't aware off.

Its odd but i've honestly felt that attitude in some music shops. Its as if you're taking up their valuable time and they could be doing something else rather than watching me walk around a bass dept. Much sadness.

Dave

I would shop in a shop called GTFO, it's deliciously paradoxical!

I can't say I've noticed that attitude, but I'm not in that often.  And don't get me started on Aberdeen - the bass selection is so small that you can be in an out of there before they've even had a chance to get their "can I help you with anything" on :D

• Haha 1

Afraid my knowledge of Aberdeen is the guy from Scottish Amicable setting up my mortgage to buy land and get a house built. He arranged it with BoS in Aberdeen. I had to drive up to go thru the paperwork and sign it. Best thing i ever did as far as houses are concerned. The guy had the same issue when he was trying to self build so he set it all up with his Bank Manager mate in BoS. My own BoS branch wouldn't provide a mortgage to buy land. 

And of course the Dead Sea scrolls show that was up there in 90's i drove up to see that. 

I'm not a big fan of driving thru cities. Glasgow is easier because i used to frequent Glasgow for bands etc.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Long & McQuade is the coast to coast Cdn retailer and we have several in the Regional Municipality , the big one is in Halifax but they just carry basic stuff. Fender, Ampeg, Traynor, GK and Mesa for the most part although some Ashdown has just started to appear. With a very vanilla stock of basses. There’s no depth for choice. Even a simple set of shortscale flatwound strings is a special order.

We used to have a great Vintage shop that would have interesting stuff pop up , it’s unfortunately gone.

I see more interesting stuff pop up online in the local buy&sell … kijiji. 

Edited by msb

1 hour ago, msb said:

Long & McQuade is the coast to coast Cdn retailer and we have several in the Regional Municipality , the big one is in Halifax but they just carry basic stuff. Fender, Ampeg, Traynor, GK and Mesa for the most part although some Ashdown has just started to appear. With a very vanilla stock of basses. There’s no depth for choice. Even a simple set of shortscale flatwound strings is a special order.

We used to have a great Vintage shop that would have interesting stuff pop up , it’s unfortunately gone.

I see more interesting stuff pop up online in the local buy&sell … kijiji. 

I emailed Traynor about their bass amps but they never replied. Have to say i was disappointed in them. I emailed thru their own website page so no excuse as far as i can see.

I had an Ampeg SVT4 Pro that i really liked the tone but the weight was a big issue plus the fact it kept breaking down so moved it on.

If it had been more reliable i might have kept it and put up with the weight issue.

Dave

Eh, no-one seems interested in doing business, it would seem.  I was in the market for a couple of special order DiMarzio pickups.  DiMarzio themselves to be fair replied straight away to say they couldn't/wouldn't do custom shop orders internationally direct.  I emailed the UK distributor (Headstock) and got hee-haw reply (not entirely surprised as they're a distributor so under no obligation to reply to a pleb like me who's not in the trade, but still they could have been helpful and pointed me to some retailers).  So I went to Andertons, knowing that they sell DiMarzio pickups and asked for a quote.  Well, that was 31st January.  They took all the details and said they'd get back to me.  I chased them a week later.  They replied and said they'd chase it.  I have had not a peep back, although I'm sure this is as much the distributor's fault as anyone's.

So the pickups are on their way across from the States thanks to a very helpful eBay seller who I contacted on 30th Jan to speculatively enquire about the pickups I wanted (which they didn't have in at the time).  In response to my speculative and rather non-committal query, they got 2 of the pickups in anyway and out of the blue got in contact with me directly to let me know they had them and they'd just gone live in his eBay store.  Legend!  Snagged!  Sorry Andertons/Headstock - you snooze you lose!

• Like 5

Nice one, well done and pretty good response from the US contact you had.

Oddly enough i asked Andertons when Mesa was going to start supplying and waited that long i contacted Mesa direct. I got a reply from Mesa within a day and it took Andertons approx 2 weeks to say they haven't heard anything but when i told them Mesa replied to me within a day and that was 2 weeks ago they apologised and thanked me for the update.

In the past i found them reasonably good at getting back to me so i still like them.

I was very impressed by Sweetwater in US tho when i enquired about the TT800.

Dave