Why become a member? ×

Choosing Electric guitar / basic setup for son

dmc79

That 'hardtail' Pacifica is a darned good guitar, and would be a 'keeper' if the lad bonds with it at all. It is the 'quality' starter guitar, with an alder body, good, reliable tuners, and no 'whammy bar' vibrato issues. The pick-up is excellent; not much not to like here, I'd say. If resale is really an issue, this model won't lose as much as is suggested; I'd suggest that resale is unlikely with such a starter guitar. I've buddies that have played Pacificas for years, and play 'em well. Well worth the outlay, I'd say.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. After a good look at this article:

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-beginner-electric-guitars

and the positive comments on the Pacifica, we've gone for a Pacifica 120H in black. Basically the hardtail version of the Pacifica 112V, which came out top in that list, with Squier Classic Vibe Strat close behind. I get the point about resale value, but he just wasn't sold on the traditional Strat/Tele route, this seems like a decent guitar for the money, and no tremolo arm / wonky bridge tuning issues. 

As we didn't get a bundle deal in the end, I'll need a practice amp now. Am I right in thinking at a push he could use my Ampeg bass practice amp (you just don't do it the other way around - bass through guitar amp)? I may just get him one anyway. Probably one with some basic built in effects, like a Roland Cube, Orange Crush or Line 6 Spider, and definitely a headphone input! Any thoughts? I had a Roland Bass Cube once, so am leaning towards a Cube 10 GX. I know in time a Zoom or similar multi effects thing may be up his street, but I figure it's best to at least have a bit of drive / crunch, etc on tap from the amp rather than one that doesn't have anything like that.

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 3

good choice with the Pacifica, If the plan is to mainly be using headphones then skipping the amp and going for a multi-effects unit (like a zoom) might be a better option, they have loads of useful sounds, amp simulations and if you get the right one a looper as well, not to mention a good tuner all built into a ready to go unit. that should keep him happy for a bit and shouldn't sound bad run into the bass amp (set fairly flat i'd guess)

i helped a friend source a cheap Zoom unit a while back and before dropping it over i gave it a reset and a test, i was mightily impressed with the quality of the sounds.

then if he sticks with it you can scour the local classifieds for a decent amp.

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought my daughter a Harley Benton CST-24 (PRS Custom 24 copy) and other than a bit of a dry fretboard I can't fault it. A bit of lemon oil on the fretboard and it plays lovely. Even the trem is decent and doesn't put it out of tune.

For the amp I bought a Roland cube 60 which has some great built-in effects. I wouldn't say the amp models sound exactly like a real valve amp but they're good enough for practice at home. The effects are decent enough as well.  The 60 is really loud, a bit excessive for home practice maybe.

I'm looking for a guitar for child 2 now and possibly going Ibanez Gio and Orange Micro Terror as she likes that guitar look and the reviews for the Gio are great. The Terror amp is surprisingly decent, I've seen a band with one plugged in to a 4x12 and it sounded nasty.

• Like 1