Why become a member? ×

a Flats question

police squad

I love the fender long scale flats that come as standard on the JMJ Mustang

I would like to have similar on a P bass I have.

How would the same strings feel on a P bass.

My yard stick here is, Rotosound RS66 swing bass, on all my P basses. Tension is fine 45-105 on the rounds

I'd like a similar tension to the Rotos please, without buying hundreds of sets

I ask because I have joined a new band doing Americana stuff. I'll use the JMJ but would like a P bass backup with flats (I have plenty of P basses with rounds)

TIA you fantastic lot

I have Fender flats on my Classic 50s P and had the same flats on my JMJ, on the JMJ they definitely feel looser which is understandable considering the shorter scale length of the JMJ and the fact the Fender flats are for a long scale bass. I ended up fitting Chromes to the JMJ to get a bit more tension.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danweb22 said:

I have Fender flats on my Classic 50s P and had the same flats on my JMJ, on the JMJ they definitely feel looser which is understandable considering the shorter scale length of the JMJ and the fact the Fender flats are for a long scale bass. I ended up fitting Chromes to the JMJ to get a bit more tension.

I dont want any more tension on the JMJ, I just want to P bass to feel nice. I have some cheap Olympia flats on it 45-105 and they're way to stiff. I used it at a gig and had to put it down after 2 numbers and went to the JMJ.

How do they feel on the Classic 50s P bass

I’m not a fan of high tension either, and do prefer the cleaner tone of a light Flatwound. 
I like 40-95, which you can get with EB Group IV and Chromes, both similar-ish to Fender flats, personal preference but I prefer Group IV. GHS Precision flats come in 45-95 if you want a more old school sound. And of course Thomastik and LaBella do low tension, but won’t sound anything like the Fender flats. 
Just highlighting strings I know well and use. 

I had a set of Fender flats on a PBass (think they were the 50s?) and thought they were quite high tension. I don't have any exact info on tension, but my finger tips on my right hand would hurt after a 3hr practice.

I now use TI Jazz flats anytime I want flats and find them much easier on the fingers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m not a fan of high tension either, and do prefer the cleaner tone of a light Flatwound. 
I like 40-95, which you can get with EB Group IV and Chromes, both similar-ish to Fender flats, personal preference but I prefer Group IV. GHS Precision flats come in 45-95 if you want a more old school sound. And of course Thomastik and LaBella do low tension, but won’t sound anything like the Fender flats. 
Just highlighting strings I know well and use. 

nicely done. I'll check out prices

Just now, Jonesy said:

I had a set of Fender flats on a PBass (think they were the 50s?) and thought they were quite high tension. I don't have any exact info on tension, but my finger tips on my right hand would hurt after a 3hr practice.

I now use TI Jazz flats anytime I want flats and find them much easier on the fingers.

what gauge TI flats please

36 minutes ago, police squad said:

I dont want any more tension on the JMJ, I just want to P bass to feel nice. I have some cheap Olympia flats on it 45-105 and they're way to stiff. I used it at a gig and had to put it down after 2 numbers and went to the JMJ.

How do they feel on the Classic 50s P bass

They feel good, I don't find them stiff at all, they are the light gauge Fender flats (9050L 45-100)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, police squad said:

are they any good Lozz

Well at heart I’m really not a flats guy, but they’re a bit more scooped in the sound than most other flats, and can be pushed to sound quite “round” and aggressive as the top end is pretty decent. Apparently Phil Lynott used them so have a listen to some live Lizzy perhaps?

Just now, Lozz196 said:

Well at heart I’m really not a flats guy, but they’re a bit more scooped in the sound than most other flats, and can be pushed to sound quite “round” and aggressive as the top end is pretty decent. Apparently Phil Lynott used them so have a listen to some live Lizzy perhaps?

Yep I know Phil used them. I just want nice natural thump really. I love the JMJ sound but will need  a spare bass on my new band project and as I have several P basses, one of those with flats should do it. I dont think I'm looking for a scooped sound, it's weird isn't it. P bass + rounds has worked for me my whole gigging life, when I wanted the bass upfront in the mix etc. Easy to temper the rounds with a bit (ok a lot) of right hand muting at the bridge. But I am loving the feel of the JMJ with flats. My new band is an Americana project with some really amazing players, so I feel flats and a nice laid back feel should work well

30 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I went really light........43-100 on a P & Ric and then 43-106 on my SG.

Wow, never knew about the 43-106., curious as to what that gauge is like then… though think I’m too settled with the 43-100 to change, absolutely love them. 

Aha, must be the short scale gauge for a shorty SG? 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Wow, never knew about the 43-106., curious as to what that gauge is like then… though think I’m too settled with the 43-100 to change, absolutely love them. 

Aha, must be the short scale gauge for a shorty SG? 

Is indeed, they're the light gauge for short scales. It's the only short scale I've ever owned, but the scale length and light gauge make it a lot of fun to play.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I've an idea Fender flats are re-badged D'Addarios (probably Chromes). They feel very similar and have the same coloured ball ends.

Pretty sure the ball end colours are different, even if just on one or two strings? I agree there are similarities, but quite different characteristics IMO. 
Possibly a different type of D’Addario at best.  

• 1 month later...