Why become a member? ×

Hofner Beatle basses - so bloody many in the range!

tredders

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

... buy a cheaper copy by Hofner from a shop that will allow you to pay on hp...

IIRC one of the factors that steered him towards the 500/1 was that (while he was in Germany) the Hofner was WAY cheaper than the very expensive imported and highly-taxed Rickenbackers that John and George bought. He liked the Hofner because he didn't want to have to use HP and get into debt.

• Like 2

I bet there were also additional problems and costs related to it being a lefty model - the Germans seem to have always had far less trouble than the Americans (and UK manufacturers) producing LH guitar models, and far fewer misgivings of the "am I going to be able to actually sell them?" type. See also Framus/Warwick.

My Hofner is an Ignition, made in Indonesia. Looks great, especially after I got rid of the horrible plasticky pickguard and @Happy Jack gifted me the proper teacup knobs. Having said that, I don't like the sound - despite installing TI flats; I don't like the tiny scale - despite having tiny hands; and I don't like not having a pickup in the "proper" middle position on which to rest my thumb. I wouldn't get rid of the bass (like the Steinberger Spirit, I want one of each in my collection) but it's certainly not the bass I tend to pick up when I want to have a play.

Hofner Violin.jpg

16 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I bet there were also additional problems and costs related to it being a lefty model - the Germans seem to have always had far less trouble than the Americans (and UK manufacturers) producing LH guitar models, and far fewer misgivings of the "am I going to be able to actually sell them?" type. See also Framus/Warwick.

My Hofner is an Ignition, made in Indonesia. Looks great, especially after I got rid of the horrible plasticky pickguard and @Happy Jack gifted me the proper teacup knobs. Having said that, I don't like the sound - despite installing TI flats; I don't like the tiny scale - despite having tiny hands; and I don't like not having a pickup in the "proper" middle position on which to rest my thumb. I wouldn't get rid of the bass (like the Steinberger Spirit, I want one of each in my collection) but it's certainly not the bass I tend to pick up when I want to have a play.

Hofner Violin.jpg

I bought both versions of the Ignition to help narrow down which pickup configuration I might prefer if I ever go for a German model. I much preferred the 61 both ergonomically and tonally. Both pups are usable on their own and together whilst the 62 bridge pup lacks too much bottom end for me.

20200313_162958.thumb.jpg.ee06cd3321facea942f6ba3d14078ca5.jpg

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Or for the full McCartney experience, you should first hanker after a Gibson EB-1 , then buy a cheaper copy by Hofner from a shop that will allow you to pay on hp...

The shape is similar but that's it, the Gibson is solid body whereas the Hofner is hollow in an attempt to get closer to the tone of a double bass, the pickups are very different also and the Hofner has a wooden bridge also to try and get closer to an upright tone, the EB1 on the other hand sounds nothing like en upright so I think inspired by is possibly more true than copied

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I bought both versions of the Ignition to help narrow down which pickup configuration I might prefer if I ever go for a German model. I much preferred the 61 both ergonomically and tonally. Both pups are usable on their own and together whilst the 62 bridge pup lacks too much bottom end for me.

20200313_162958.thumb.jpg.ee06cd3321facea942f6ba3d14078ca5.jpg

I do wish my Hofner had the bridge pickup in the middle position, the bridge pickup is useable and useful but a middle position pickup would be good as it is as you say useable on its own

13 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Do you actually find much difference between the pickups with the '61 configuration?

Yes, the middle pickup has more definition than the plummy neck pickup.

Edited by Sparky Mark

On 26/05/2023 at 11:33, MacDaddy said:

Or for the full McCartney experience, you should first hanker after a Gibson EB-1 , then buy a cheaper copy by Hofner from a shop that will allow you to pay on hp...

If a hofner violin bass was the last bass in the world and I had the funds to buy it I would.

To burn it!

• Haha 1