Why become a member? ×

black strings?

+1 for the Black Beauties.

I've used them on a Lakland Bob Glaub and a Fender '51 Telebass and they sound really nice.

The finish does indeed flake, quite quickly if you use a pick - think of them as relic'd. :)

The other thing worth mentioning is that they feel rough, more so than, say, Rotosound. If string-squeal annoys you when you're sliding up and down the fretboard, then that might put you off.

[quote name='josh3184' post='469209' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:01 AM']Only problems is that with the coloured strings the coating tends to flake a tad...[/quote]

What do you mean by that? Coating goes of quickly?

If so, I've got to add, I don't use pick at all, only tight figerstyle (a lot), and some slap, but coating was the main thing I [i]wanted [/i]to try DR's, but when Happy Jack mentioned, that they're rougher than Rotos (rounds??? I won't buy them in my life anymore - hated their roughness!), I think, I'll forget it about DR's, and will ask for a set of Elixirs in a shop..

I had a few sets of the DR Strings in blue & after a few weeks the silver comes thru from wherever you play the most (even with fingers).
If you slap at all I found the G string doesn't last very long at all.

They do have a very bright sound tho.

I put DR's on my Thumb bass, they looked bloody good with the black hardware! However yeah as already said the colour flaked off fairly quickly, & I don't play with a pick, they stayed bright though!

BTW I had to file down the end of the B string to fit it over the bridge, just mentioning in case you may have the problem with the 'vette.

[quote name='Faithless' post='469477' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:10 PM']What do you mean by that? Coating goes of quickly?[/quote]

Yeah, bits of the colour will start to come off leaving you with silver strings around where you play the most. I found this would happen even when playing fingerstyle.