Why become a member? ×

Dogal Hellborg Strings

Owen

On 23/11/2022 at 09:15, Hellzero said:

As much as I love Jonas Hellborg and his playing (I have each and every album he recorded), this guy would put his signature on manure in no time as long as he gets money... So sad.

So would I.

As recorded music doesn't really give anyone any income anymore I would look for any way I could feed myself.

Changing endorsements is no different to moving jobs for a better deal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2022 at 01:15, Hellzero said:

As much as I love Jonas Hellborg and his playing (I have each and every album he recorded), this guy would put his signature on manure in no time as long as he gets money... So sad.

Early in his career I recall Hellborg using custom made amps and basses from small makers who can't typically afford to give anything away. Then he went to EBS then Warwick both of whom he has had active design input with. He did no doubt start getting some kind of endorsement money with those two (especially Warwick I'd think) but I have a strong impression he has never used gear he didn't believe in. He hasn't exactly bounced from one corporate giant to another every couple of years like some others have. As talented as he is not every teenage rocker is going to rush out and buy something just because Jonas Hellborg is using it like they have done with people like Flea.

His going with Dogal seems more a result of finding a string maker in the same city where he lives who was willing to work with him to further develop his unique concept for strings. Having used both the DR and Dogal Hellborg sets the Dogals are the same basic concept but a huge refinement over the DR's. No doubt a great deal of effort has gone into creating the Dogal Hellborg strings but a it's niche product nobody is ever going to get rich on. I'd be very surprised if he was getting much more than free strings, a small percentage of sales and possibly an occasional trade show appearance or photo shoot fee.

The Dogal Hellborg strings are marvelous on hollow body basses and AGBs. I've never played a louder more even sounding string on an ABG and can't see ever using anything else. They are very supple feeling with a massive fundamental. There is more string noise than with a lot of strings but given their advantages I've been willing to work around that. On solid body basses they're a touch too bright for my taste when new but after 2-3 months they settle down without loosing that huge fundamental. I've had a set on my ABG for almost 6 months. While they have gotten darker sounding they still sound alive and tune perfectly. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before they need to be changed. Anyone who likes a flexible nickel string like Thomastik Jazz Rounds or GHS Balanced Nickels will likely get along with the Dogal Hellborgs.

Edited by jeffbonny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a big fan of the DR Hellborg strings (if not the longevity), so the Dogal strings piqued my interest.  I did contact them a while back to purchase a set (maybe a year or two ago), but the whole purchase process was a bit vague/backward/convoluted - you ask them for what you want, they cut a Paypal money demand (not an invoice) and send it back to you.  Reluctant to discuss price.

They based a couple of KM inland across the water from Venice (they were in Venice when I made the initial enquiry).  They're pretty pricey; about 75€ a set, plus tax and shipping.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd always wanted to try the DR Hellborgs. I never got around to buying any, as I was always Happy with the High Beams and Sun Beams I was using and they were expensive to take a risk on. These strings sound interesting, and when you look at the current prices of TI or other flatwound strings reaching £60+ mark, and rounds not far behind maybe for a boutique premium product, close to £80 is fine, they'd better last though 🤣