Why become a member? ×

Boss Waza Air Bass - update to v1.30

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I'm loving my waza air bass headphones - they are the best practice aid I've ever had. There's a new system update available but it seems unneccesarily fiddly to install. Has anyone done this successfully without bricking £300+ worth of kit?

https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/waza-air_bass/updates_drivers/c97e9fa0-4cdd-40ca-8c91-f0607a2bbd22/

9 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Well, I did the update. My headphones are now at v1.3.0 and are still working perfectly. The update procedure did seem a bit unnecessarily convoluted though and it took a few goes for my MacBook to see the WAZA-AIR B drive.

Is anything else different? I find that when I open the app I need to select the transmitter if I haven’t used them in a while (everything connects and works perfectly without opening the app of course)

• 5 months later...

I’ve finally done the update and still enjoying my wazas (I’m often outside having a Waz). Despite saying I probably don’t need the foot switch I’m wondering if anyone has one who could tell us about it. Because of the *insane* menu for selecting effects and so forth in the WAZA app I’m wondering how it works for turning effects on and off, because in the app you have several in one ‘slot’ and even then they’re blended in rather than switched if that makes any sense. 

I mostly use a clean sound patch with a limiter and bit of reverb, but that knocks out any further effects in those slots at the same time so maybe I’d make separate patches for the ones I want and use the switches in the pedal to go ‘up and down’ through them? 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I mentioned this, or if I was particularly stupid, but I was getting annoyed with my waza airs as they would cut out after a few minutes of playing and you had to unplug and replug to make them work. I changed everything in the settings (and TBH, I rarely use the app - its the worst part of the waza air, makes it like the opposite of the spark) but nothing worked.

Then one day looking for something else, I found another post of someone saying the same thing, and the answer was that you had to put the sender in the headphones before any changes in the app are made. I genuinely didn't know that (and it doesn't seem mentioned in the manual, which I read).

I would think if you did a change in the app that affected the sender there should be a big 'now plug the sender in the headphones to apply the changes' banner. But there isn't.

Now I like them again

Except last night, I don't know if the batteries were flat but I plugged my new bongo in, and not only was there a wall of high frequency noise, but it distorted like mad. Charged the waza and try again tonight

• Like 1

On 21/11/2022 at 00:51, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'm loving my waza air bass headphones - they are the best practice aid I've ever had. There's a new system update available but it seems unneccesarily fiddly to install. Has anyone done this successfully without bricking £300+ worth of kit?

https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by_product/waza-air_bass/updates_drivers/c97e9fa0-4cdd-40ca-8c91-f0607a2bbd22/

Who on earth designed that part of the kit?

I mean it's not difficult to do for a tech minded person, but what an awful way to implement a firmware update in 2023.

The firmware update procedure is something the Fender Mustang GTX amps do really well and the boss engineers could learn from. I updated my GTX100 when I first got it and yesterday I took delivery of a secondhand GTX50 for my son. It took me no time at all to get the GTX50 updated to the lastest firmware. It was effortless and a no time was I anxious of bricking it.

The other thing they could learn from looking at the Fender is that the IOS app to control the Fender is a joy to use whereas the Boss one is so frustrating to use that I always use the same settings.

Despite this it the Waza is still the best practice setup I've ever used.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Don't know if I mentioned this, or if I was particularly stupid, but I was getting annoyed with my waza airs as they would cut out after a few minutes of playing and you had to unplug and replug to make them work. I changed everything in the settings (and TBH, I rarely use the app - its the worst part of the waza air, makes it like the opposite of the spark) but nothing worked.

The WL-T transmitter has 2 standby modes: Motion Sensing and Signal Sensing. Maybe it's in Motion Sensing mode and you're not moving around enough to tickle the motion sensor?

You can change it in the absolute awesome and definitely not stinky poo app.

Whoever put a motion sensor on a device targeted at bassists was... let's say 'optimistic' :D

Edited by simisker

18 minutes ago, simisker said:

The WL-T transmitter has 2 standby modes: Motion Sensing and Signal Sensing. Maybe it's in Motion Sensing mode and you're not moving around enough to tickle the motion sensor?

You can change it in the absolute awesome and definitely not stinky poo app.

change in that app and then connect it to the headphones before the settings are updated!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone told me about this foot switch today, and it's on offer at £79 from Amazon. It lets you do much more than the app will let you in terms of number of effects you can use at once, which might be a limitation if you tend to use the compressor/limiter like I do as an always on 'effect'

https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstepbwedition

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.15.11 pm.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ped said:

and it's on offer at £79 from Amazon

https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstepbwedition

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 2.15.11 pm.png

Couldn't see it on the Jungle site-had the 'KAT' vers at £79 tho,but no 'BW' vers.

The makers site you list does offer the waza air at £56 plus shipping-as you say - its not much use for your reqs (and prolly mine on that basis) however I'm gonna see if I can interface it with my Orba mk2-You never know........lol

3 minutes ago, Magister Ludi said:

Couldn't see it on the Jungle site-had the 'KAT' vers at £79 tho,but no 'BW' vers.

The makers site you list does offer the waza air at £56 plus shipping-as you say - its not much use for your reqs (and prolly mine on that basis) however I'm gonna see if I can interface it with my Orba mk2-You never know........lol

This one I think? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DGRQ5YP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TQTDAPMQ4LIN&psc=1

Yeah it would great with the Orba 2!!

2 minutes ago, ped said:

This one I think? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09DGRQ5YP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TQTDAPMQ4LIN&psc=1

Yeah it would great with the Orba 2!!

Duh! search skills on the fritz agin....Having read the makers site and specs for this-it would maybe it be a little pointless? They show that their premium waza product at a gazillion dollars $259 is in fact the one they want you to have,

I like the waza-its been a good little option to that headphone problem-after phil's stuff I lost interest & then lo and behold the unupdateable waza appears & saves the day!

Now how to integrate that bloody orba........

3 minutes ago, Magister Ludi said:

Duh! search skills on the fritz agin....Having read the makers site and specs for this-it would maybe it be a little pointless? They show that their premium waza product at a gazillion dollars $259 is in fact the one they want you to have,

I like the waza-its been a good little option to that headphone problem-after phil's stuff I lost interest & then lo and behold the unupdateable waza appears & saves the day!

Now how to integrate that bloody orba........

Which one are you referring to - it look like the BW model is the one for the Waze headphones, and it provides slightly more functionality than the Boss pedal.

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Seems unlikely that the guitar waza connection would be different from the bass ones in that regard. 

What goes wrong, do they not see each other?

The instructions are to turn off the Bluetooth on the phone/whatever the wazas are connected to, turn them on ‘in Bluetooth mode’ then switch the pedal on and they should connect. I’ve tried it both in pairing mode and just regular slow blinking mode (as the manual doesn’t really state whether Bluetooth mode means pairing or not) but either way nothing happens. I’ve updated the firmware and tried the beta release but neither work. The pedal appears as wanting to pair on other devices so it’s reaching out but apparently ignoring the wazas…

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Seems unlikely that the guitar waza connection would be different from the bass ones in that regard. 

What goes wrong, do they not see each other?

Some members of the XSTEP group on Facebook have confirmed that the BW version of the Airstep pedal doesn't work with the bass version of the waza air (are you confused yet); something to do with a slightly different Sysex which could easily be changed with a firmware update but isn't yet. 

However the full fat Airstep does apparently work with basically anything, so it's a good job I have one on the way...