Why become a member? ×

Orange obc cabinet comparison

Wonky2

Hi folks 

can anyone advise me on the potential purchase of an orange cabinet…..

i had an obc210 which I thought was great, but I let it go because it’s weight was an issue for me at the time.

im now yearning to go back to an orange cab, got the warmth and deep width of sound, and looking at the obc112 which I understand to be significantly less in weight.

but how does it compare in terms of Oomph? 
is the loss of size and weight notable over the obc115 or obc210?
am I only going to get a decent thump out off an obc15 or obc210?  Or will the 112 compete? 

i realise this is all subjective to your own preference and ear but I allthough i tried a 112 in a shop recently I couldn’t compare it to an older weighty 15” or 210 as they didn’t have any.

that said, I know a lot of people use two obc112’s, but I only intend to use one. Anyone use one in it own or is their a reason why two is the preferred  solution?

i guess I’m asking is one 112 enough on its own, (small to medium size venues) or will compromising on weight mean compromising of that deep and full sound you might get from either the two older heavier cabs ?

if

im going to loose, I’d rather go heavy and add casters I think…to help with moving it..

should I consider the sp212 or the old isobaric jobs or is that a dead horse since the arrival of the obc112?

ughhhh man I hate this. The ironly is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tC rs450 combo I’m selling to fund the cab. I bought an orange little bass thing on a whim and decided I’d fancied a change, but stinky poo man, the tC is actually friggin great.  Not really sure why I’m changing other than gas.

Edited by Wonky2
  • Like 1

It would be a simple matter to calculate the OBC 112 frequency response, sensitivity and maximum output using the driver Thiele/Small specs, but since there's no way of knowing what they are you're back to comparing it to other cabs the old fashioned way, trying them side by side.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

It would be a simple matter to calculate the OBC 112 frequency response, sensitivity and maximum output using the driver Thiele/Small specs, but since there's no way of knowing what they are you're back to comparing it to other cabs the old fashioned way, trying them side by side.

Sounds awfully complicated, so yes I agree the old fashioned way is best. 
but in the absence of being able to a/b several cabs I thought I’d ask here  incase there is anyone amongst us who has already been down this road :)

• Like 1

Nice choice on the Orange LBT. that amp really interests me.

I just had a look at the OBc112.

350 quid.

they look nice for sure, but just as Bill says there is absolutely no way to have a clue about their performance without trying them.

Due to the vague "specs" published on the Orange website, it's a fair assumption they are built down to a price point first and foremost. 

whether the sound is right and the volume adequate for your needs is impossible to say alas.

I would bet that the Basschat DIY 1x12 cab would sound at least as good (probably better), be the same weight and cost less.  You could paint it orange and make the baffle cloth look like a nice vintage orange cab.

This would be my choice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, karlfer said:

Bit late to see this. 2 X OBC 112's are more than enough for any pub/club gig I do.

I've never needed the gain or master past noon even in the bigger clubs (OBT Mark 11).

Superb modular rig, very light, sounds wonderful.

Cheers karl 

yeah the single obc112 is great but for the bigger venues I imagine will struggle on its own.

i did a show gig (big stage and house pa, small theatre size) and it just about coped as an on sound stage rig (for the band to hear rather than the venue)…. 
it just got a bit lost with the size of the stage /venue , the bottom end kind of evaporated….
I may well keep my eye out for a 2nd obc112 but anytime in the past I’ve had a two cab rig I almost certainly never use the 2nd cab.  It gathers dust, takes up space and ends up getting traded on.

i wonder if the obc115, sp212 or an obc212 might cope a bit better as a single cab solution, not that the obc112 lacks anything really for most venues ….but we all like to have plenty of headroom at our disposal I guess.

My heart tells me to trade the 112 for a 115 as a single can solution but my head says there can’t be that much in it between them ….

mattie

Edited by Wonky2

Whatever you do, don't get an isobaric cab and expect light weight and good sound because you'll get neither. The 212 is very punchy though. 

I had a 115 which sounded very deep and was loud but a little mushy. I'm currently using a 410 which sounds spot on but it weighs as much as a cow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned the SP210 and now own the SP212, an OBC115 and an OBC410. I use the SP212 for small shows (the sound always gets commented on favourably) and I think the word "comparitively" should prefix heavy. It's heavy for what it is but it is small. They occasionally crop up as a secondhand bargain. Mine's flightcased which adds to the weight but the massive wheels make it highly portable and I have an amp sleeve for local pub gigs (although I prefer to stick it on top of the flightcase when playing ).

I had initially thought that the OBC115 would pair well with the OBC410 but a single cab sounds better to me (and my knees agree on difficult load-ins). I really think the OBC410 is the best sounding cab on the planet BUT I am 100% with SteveXFM as it weighing as much as a cow. Being over 6ft I try and make sure I am on the lower step when taking it up or down stairs and I would say a 2 person lift is always my preference. 

1228725838_BassFav2.jpg.7979444bf7d67f96e19011ce4d78344e.jpg

I’ve a Volvo v90, but unfortunately that’s to fit my bloody wheelchair in 😆 

that said, it’s my band chums who load my gear for me (obviously….. they won’t let me pack in or leave the band and so I just keep

going as best I can) 

so , with others carrying my gear I just can’t take the pesh 😂

i did have a tc elec es 450 combo which allthough on a very very handy portable trolly, it wasn’t the lightest amp out there either, and there was no complaints from that…. So if I can caster a 212 or the like so much the better…

in all honestly, I’m likely to end up with a 2nd obc112 because of weight and a guilty conscience on those carrying my gear. 
good job I’ve only heard good things about that set up .

On 30/12/2022 at 11:04, Wonky2 said:

so , with others carrying my gear I just can’t take the pesh 😂

i did have a tc elec es 450 combo which allthough on a very very handy portable trolly, it wasn’t the lightest amp out there either, and there was no complaints from that…. So if I can caster a 212 or the like so much the better…

in all honestly, I’m likely to end up with a 2nd obc112 because of weight and a guilty conscience on those carrying my gear. 
good job I’ve only heard good things about that set up .

You seem confused.

As far as I can see all the Orange 2x12 and 2x10's you mention are isobarics. None of those will be any louder than a 112 as the second speaker in an isobaric doesn't radiate into the air, it's frankly bonkers for a portable cab to be isobaric. you have all the weight and expense of a second driver with little or any advantage and crucially none in volume. There is also nothing very special about Orange speakers, they are well made and look distinctive but use some very ordinary drivers and generally old tech. If you like the sound and the looks then that's great.

Did you like the 112 when you tried it? If so then go for that. The 115 is going to have a different sound and is going to weigh more, the driver is an Eminence Kappa which is OK but has a very strong peak in the upper response which is a bit marmite, you certainly need to have a listen before changing to that. 

If you go for a 112 and it does for 80% of your gigs your bandmates will thank you and if you do need a second cab get an identical one. If you aren't in a rush then you can look out for something used and if you do sell you'll get most of your money back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

You seem confused.

As far as I can see all the Orange 2x12 and 2x10's you mention are isobarics. None of those will be any louder than a 112 as the second speaker in an isobaric doesn't radiate into the air, it's frankly bonkers for a portable cab to be isobaric. you have all the weight and expense of a second driver with little or any advantage and crucially none in volume. There is also nothing very special about Orange speakers, they are well made and look distinctive but use some very ordinary drivers and generally old tech. If you like the sound and the looks then that's great.

Did you like the 112 when you tried it? If so then go for that. The 115 is going to have a different sound and is going to weigh more, the driver is an Eminence Kappa which is OK but has a very strong peak in the upper response which is a bit marmite, you certainly need to have a listen before changing to that. 

If you go for a 112 and it does for 80% of your gigs your bandmates will thank you and if you do need a second cab get an identical one. If you aren't in a rush then you can look out for something used and if you do sell you'll get most of your money back.

Sound advice….. 

And yes, I’m in one of them confused states with my current gear.

im not entirely sure if it’s all in my head, you know how a tiny seed of a thought can grow……

mill try to live with the gear I have (little bass thing and a single obc112) to see if it IS just over thinking.

what I wanted from the orange was that warm deep punchy clean sound. 
i believe the LbT is good for that I’m just not convinced with the cab. 

the previous cabs I’ve mentioned are the obc115 & obc210 which are none isobaric and the obc212 which IS …. 
All with the intention of just giving a fuller sound. 

wish I could try a 15 near to me but no where has one . Even if it’s just to answer that question. 

Edited by Wonky2

I think living with the OBC 112 for a while is a good idea, you'll soon enough know if it just isn't enough for you. I don't know that LaVoce driver they use but it looks to be a decent quality unit. It may just be a case of fiddling with your eq for a bit until you get a sound you really like. If a used OBC 112 comes up at a price you are happy with you could add it at any time.

looks like Orange don't make the 2x10 any more and the only historic one I found was isobaric. Somebody else may make an old school 2x10 that sounds right to you or you might be able to track down one of the older 2x10's that you liked whilst the 112 does the job for you. The English language is bloody useless at describing sound so that warm, deep, punchy clean sound might just be the sound of  an old 4x10, or not of course :) 

I'm good on the technical side of things but useless at brands. The best advice I can give is that if you have something usable there is no rush, take your time and listen to a lot of stuff and only buy the one that gives you all you want when you audition it.

The other thing is that if portability and weight are the issue then go through the PA, if all your bass amp is doing is being an on-stage monitor for you and the band then you can have the sound you want behind you, the audience get the PA and the band are carrying the PA anyway. Happy days.

• Like 1