Why become a member? ×

Custom Headstock Decals

Jono Bolton

I don't know if this is more appropriate to this sub-forum, or the Accessories one, but I'm looking for recommendations for custom Headstock decals. I'm looking to get my Bass VI headstock sprayed black to match the body, but I'll need a new decal to put on it. Ideally, I'd like a replica of the 60s Fender Bass VI logo, but with the Squier one in place of Fender. The luthier who is doing the work had sent me over some mock-ups, courtesy of his own decal guy, but they weren't quite what I was looking for and we hit an impasse. 

Has anyone got any recommendations for who can do this sort of work?

23 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Rothko and Frost? I know they used to do transfers as they did me some years ago.

There are some guys in eBay as well.

I've sent them an email with the spec, I couldn't see an appropriate option on the site but they seem to do quite a few options.

For context, what I'm after is this:img_8041331847_1561425447.jpg.c248e59cada7adaad17de8adb68aad98.jpg

With (preferably) the JV Squier logo in place of Fender:

Screenshot_20221110-085632.thumb.png.981af41b0cb3d21dd7e4a6848ed86dc0.png

Edited by Jono Bolton

21 hours ago, Jono Bolton said:

I've sent them an email with the spec, I couldn't see an appropriate option on the site but they seem to do quite a few options.

For context, what I'm after is this:img_8041331847_1561425447.jpg.c248e59cada7adaad17de8adb68aad98.jpg

With (preferably) the JV Squier logo in place of Fender:

Screenshot_20221110-085632.thumb.png.981af41b0cb3d21dd7e4a6848ed86dc0.png

I had a response back from Rothko & Frost, but it transpires that they're the company that the luthier was using to create the decals, which I discovered when I opened an attached mock-up to be presented with the same decal I had already rejected 😂 

Hi John I have been a member of bass chat for a while😄you got in touch with me recently about your v1 decals? so sorry they don't work on black backgrounds but tbh you do need metallic inks for black because of the transparency of the decals which they need to be, I hope you get your mod or renewed headstock sorted mate and sorry I could not help you more

Regards Dave

Aka madasatadpole or taddy for short, ti's but a hobby the decals but i'm learning to play bass myself. And quite enjoying it😄👍

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 15:01, taddy said:

Hi John I have been a member of bass chat for a while😄you got in touch with me recently about your v1 decals? so sorry they don't work on black backgrounds but tbh you do need metallic inks for black because of the transparency of the decals which they need to be, I hope you get your mod or renewed headstock sorted mate and sorry I could not help you more

Regards Dave

Aka madasatadpole or taddy for short, ti's but a hobby the decals but i'm learning to play bass myself. And quite enjoying it😄👍

No worries Dave, and thanks for your reply on here and eBay. I've tried a few other places but if I can't get it sorted I'll just plough on with having the headstock sprayed and left plain black.

• Like 1

I've bought a few from an ebay seller. He's been really helpful and will build up your decal from a few pictures and ideas. He supplies in pairs as well incase you screw the first one up. Really thin waterslides that lacquer over easily. 

I'll try and find the details. 

Most recently did these for me for a project from photos. 

He also very generously did all these for a single decal price. 

qU7TPTN.jpeg

Here you go, Bob's Decals. 

Ebay link.

Edited by Maude
Adding link

On 18/11/2022 at 22:50, Maude said:

I've bought a few from an ebay seller. He's been really helpful and will build up your decal from a few pictures and ideas. He supplies in pairs as well incase you screw the first one up. Really thin waterslides that lacquer over easily. 

I'll try and find the details. 

Most recently did these for me for a project from photos. 

He also very generously did all these for a single decal price. 

qU7TPTN.jpeg

Here you go, Bob's Decals. 

Ebay link.

I haven't come back to this for a while, but I'd actually found his website and he made me up the decals I was looking for. Very good service, and very good quality as far as I can tell.