Why become a member? ×

Do any of you guys know what the hell this is?

maxrossell

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170323247467"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170323247467[/url]

Claims to be a Mexican Fender.

I've personally never seen a Fender Mex with a one-piece guard and strat-style knobs. Even if those two things are aftermarket, the screw holes are in the wrong place, and surely he would have mentioned that in the listing.

Some of the guys on the Orange forum suggested it could be an old Squier (from back when they still had a bigger Fender logo and just Squier written on the tip) with the Squier logo rubbed off, but in that case, why would it say "Made in Mexico" on it? And surely it's in way too good of a condition to be a cheap early-eighties bass anyway. The headstock looks barely a couple years old. So it looks recent and it's in as-recent condition but I know for a fact that all Mexican Fenders within at least the last five years had a metal plate under the knobs.

Lastly he's started it at £180, which indicates he knows that it's worth less than the £250 - £300 that most of these basses go for these days.

I reckon it's just a cheap copy with an aftermarket logo slapped on it. What do you reckon? Or am I completely wrong and is it just an oddball model?

[quote name='Buzz' post='468550' date='Apr 21 2009, 02:24 PM']Fender did do a jazz like that with a one piece control/scratch plate. The actual model name escapes me now.[/quote]
Yeah they did. I know someone that used to have one.

I have one of those, a sort of Tex/Mex special!!

It has "American Tradition" or something like that on the headstock under the "Jazz Bass" decal, but no mention of Mexico. As I recall it's made up of a job lot of bits, inc Mex stuff that was put together in the US (or was it the other way round?).
Mine has a lovely playable neck on it and is a reasonable bass. I put a proper J style plate on there (needed an extra hole drilled but it was a non original plate) and the correct knobs and metal knob plate. I think I will change the PUPS at some point though as I think they let it down a bit.

Def not a Squire, nor a Mex so if it goes for a good price I'd say give it a punt. It could always be good for a project.

Also if you do a serial number check, it does come back as US.

Edited by Marky L

My 1996 Fender Mexican Jazz bass in red has the one-piece control/scratch plate. It used to have the strat-style knobs, but I changed them to the more traditional jazz style ones.

I looked at replacing the scratch plate, but unfortunately, as you said the screws are in the 'wrong' position. It's just a pity I found this out after purchasing my replacement parts... :)

That´s definitely a completely standard Mexican Jazz, most likely from the early 90s. They came stock with the one-piece pickguard/control plate, Strat-style knobs and the all-black Fender logo. All rather ugly features IMHO but maybe a lovely bass. Starting bid is not unreasonable at all.

I nearly bought one in 2000 brand new but chose a Mex jazz bass instead.
I remember them being labelled Fender Corona Jazz Bass...
The bloke in the shop at the time said it was mexican bits assembled in the US or did he say american bits assembled in mexico?

Edited by Stu-khag

Guys, you are making the matter more complicated than it needs to be.

It´s a bog-standard MIM, just like the seller states. No mods, no replacements, no false logos, no anything. Why not ask the seller for the serial # - I bet it starts with the letters MN (M for Mexico, N for 1990s). No need for conspiracy theories here. :)

Just got home and looking at mine the headstock reads -

Fender logo in gold with black outline, serial number below this - N901850

In line following that is - JAZZ BASS with MADE IN USA below that that.

On the end of the headstock in italics - American Traditional

As I recall (and supported by the logos) its a US construction of a mix of US and Mex parts.

Oh, and a skunk stripe up the back of the neck too.

As for different hole spacing for the scratchplate, well what does it matter, bang the new one on!!

Thanks again guys - It just occurred to me, if I got it and I wanted to replace the scratchplate with a different colour, does anyone know where I'd find parts for that, or would I be stuck with having to get standard stuff and drilling some new screw holes?

[quote name='maxrossell' post='469262' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:23 AM']Thanks again guys - It just occurred to me, if I got it and I wanted to replace the scratchplate with a different colour, does anyone know where I'd find parts for that, or would I be stuck with having to get standard stuff and drilling some new screw holes?[/quote]

Drop BC's very own The Bass Doc a PM - he can make a new pickguard for you.