Why become a member? ×

Bassists who play guitar

Vin Venal

Just an update on this. I bought a mega cheap rig for myself as an early Christmas/birthday present, and I'm loving 6 strings!

I've got a Harley Benton TE20 - can't fault it for the money, although the fretboard is too flat. Into a harley benton Tube15 - this is amazing for the money. Sounds better to my ears than some very expensive rigs I've heard people play through.

Pilfered an analogue delay off me bass board. Added a behringer SF300 fuzz. Crank the reverb and gain on the amp. Roll off the volume for cleaner stuff. Instant Rock n Roll!

Lot of people would say I'm not even learning guitar, cuz I got frustrated with the irregular third interval on the top 2 strings, so I just tuned them up to C and F so the whole fretboard is in 4ths. I'm basically playing a 6 string bass tuned an octave high. 😅

• Like 2

I'm playing guitar just because I like the sound of it, like I'd rather play a simple rock guitar riff than a complex motown bass riff because I like the vibe, plus I'd rather play a simple bass jazz line than a complex guitar country line for the same reason.  I'd also most like to play most instruments in every genre that i like. 🙃  The instrument doesn't matter the feeling does, I also have a tuba, you know there's some tunes that just need a tuba, you can't beat a bit of oom-pha in the right situation.

brassed-off.jpg

Edited by Yan_Huriey
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Yan_Huriey said:

I'm playing guitar just because I like the sound of it, like I'd rather play a simple rock guitar riff than a complex motown bass riff because I like the vibe, plus I'd rather play a simple bass jazz line than a complex guitar country line for the same reason.  I'd also most like to play a screaming solo on both in every genre that i like. 🙃  The instrument doesn't matter the feeling does, I also have a tuba, you know there's some tunes that just need a tuba, you can't beat a bit of oom-pha in the right situation.

If the answer is a tuba, you've got to wonder if you're asking the right question.

7 minutes ago, tauzero said:

If the answer is a tuba, you've got to wonder if you're asking the right question.

I'm sorry i don't quite understand, I didn't ask any question. I do like a Tuba, but i also like a bass guitar, and I like a regular guitar.  I also like techno sytnths, I don't think it matters really.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 22:20, Vin Venal said:

Just an update on this. I bought a mega cheap rig for myself as an early Christmas/birthday present, and I'm loving 6 strings!

I've got a Harley Benton TE20 - can't fault it for the money, although the fretboard is too flat. Into a harley benton Tube15 - this is amazing for the money. Sounds better to my ears than some very expensive rigs I've heard people play through.

Pilfered an analogue delay off me bass board. Added a behringer SF300 fuzz. Crank the reverb and gain on the amp. Roll off the volume for cleaner stuff. Instant Rock n Roll!

Lot of people would say I'm not even learning guitar, cuz I got frustrated with the irregular third interval on the top 2 strings, so I just tuned them up to C and F so the whole fretboard is in 4ths. I'm basically playing a 6 string bass tuned an octave high. 😅

I got the same guitar about six months ago and it really is excellent for the money. I've considered getting that amp too. I believe it is a clone of the Laney Super Cub 12

11 hours ago, machinehead said:

I played guitar for about 20 years before discovering that I enjoy playing bass guitar far more.  Neither instrument is more or less difficult than the other- just different.

Frank.

A nasty arm break in 2008 left me with damaged nerves and I can no longer feel my outside two fingers.  I moved away from guitar as this made fingerpicking nigh on impossible and I wasn't content to just strum along or pick a tune.  In that sense a 4 string bass was less difficult, as 4 string can be covered pretty well with a just the 3 remaining digits but 6 was nigh on impossible at the time.

In fact I'm not sure that 'less difficult' is correct, it takes just as much skill but with a third less real estate for the right hand to cover with 40% less working digits. 'More achievable', perhaps?

I still play guitar and this last year in particular have started to somehow figure out fingerpicking properly again and, somehow, and I'm closing on where I was.  Id always played bass with a pick when on stage because of that, but I'm confident enough now to play fingerstyle live as well.  I practice both regularly though, be daft to confine myself to one style when a little bit of application and time allows me to maintain a diverse skillset.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 2

On 08/11/2022 at 11:53, Vin Venal said:

I'm really thinking about trying to learn guitar.

Although I've never really played guitar before, beyond a couple of abortive lessons when I was about 12, I think I kinda play bass like a guitarist. I play with a pick, and do a fair bit of chordal stuff, mostly just power chords and double stops.

One issue I can foresee is I can't use my little finger at all. Never have been able to, and not about to start now at 40. I think I have quite a weak left hand, and generally set up my basses for low string tension. I know there are plenty of 3 fingered guitarists around, but they must be limited to some extent?

I'm also a very instinctive player. Good at improvising, good at figuring stuff out myself, terrible at taking instruction, and can't read anything, including tab. Always found that's not a problem on bass, I just figure out what the root notes are, then improvise a bassline myself. Dunno if that would be more of a limiting factor with 6 strings?

Anyway, people who did bass first then moved accross, how easy was it, and what advice would you give? Should I just get a Bass VI instead? I think alot of it is just about increasing my ability to play with interesting effects and sounds.

Bit late to the party here. After reading a good many replies, my advice, as both guitar and bass player, is, first: commit to using all four fingers; you will definitely be limited playing only 3-finger/3-note chords (unless you are doubling on some strings or using barre chords exclusively?; not sure what you mean by 3-fingered guitarists). I would doubt that your hand is really weak, but because you will be using it differently, it will initially be frustrating, no getting around it. Second, figuring out tunes on guitar depends largely on knowing chords and keys, not so much following root notes or the outlines of chords, as with bass. You will learn melodies, of course, but that also develops out of chords, keys, and scales. Finally, and most important, find a good teacher, someone with solid teaching experience, not just a guitar player who can show you a few things, and commit to the learning experience, whether that is chord study; reading, and playing from written music; or what have you. Of course, you can learn on your own, but why put up with the frustration that comes with trying to follow a book (to which you can't address the many questions you will have) or what are usually very slow, and also unresponsive, online/video courses that are, most often, trying to sell you something. A teacher sitting in the same room with you is essential. Learning to play guitar is challenging--but definitely rewarding. I hope this helps.

• Like 2