Why become a member? ×

Cables and Connectors?

Chienmortbb

As many of you know I have been making cables for some on BC since OBBM retired.

Now like all things simple, the leads that connect us are more complex than meets the ear. I am happy to discuss on a 121 basis with anyone but wondered if an in-depth thread on cables and connectors would be useful.

To me many things are second nature but I have had cases where players that spend £thousands on their bass/amp/cab combo will use a cheap and nasty cable.

Of course it will be my opinion, but I have acquired a great deal of experience Audio connectors and cables over the years. 

I could tell you why I won’t use some brands and where I think Snake Oil is being peddled. However if dad  ole me is the only one interested I will just go and cuddle some Neutriks. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 5

I think you could tell us about features, like:

- connectors

- strain relief

- connection

- cable cover material (+ colours in the stage)

- about copper

- length

- velcro

- coiling

- frequency response

- losses

Did I miss something, you will add the rest.

Wow, that is quite a list and all important, I can only add type of construction of the connectors and the difference between unbalanced and balanced connections. The question is how much detail? I suppose if I touch on everything briefly, people can ask for more information if they need it.

• Like 2

If you went into detail on all the topics above it’d be a textbook!

I can think of a few specific questions I’d be interested in:

- intercompatibility of the different types of Speakon and where they’re used

- what gauge of wire to use for what speaker power

- what to look out for when choosing cable e.g. which are suitable or unsuitable for instrument and mic leads, etc

- solder or screw terminals, given the choice?

- use of gold plated connectors, if available?

Oversized jack plugs and why they should be thrown away

Jack plugs with springy bits on them and why they should be thrown away

Best strain relief method and best way of folding in the metal tang type ones

Right angle jacks to use and to avoid

For patch cables going onto a pedalboard, does installation cable offer any advantages over instrument cable?

I must say that I am a bit septic about expensive cables vs cheap one, thinking it’s more a marketing aspect instead of a real difference in sound. When I see the price of the monster cables …
Now, Chienmortbb, reading you on different thread, I must say that I have respect for what you write, and I am open to learn and change my mind, so:
Using only short cables: 10 ft, is there a difference in sound between cheap cables and good cables for that length  ?
My set up is: active or passive bass, 10 ft cable I made myself with Black Zilk Cable to go to preamp, and after a cheap cable to go to the amp.
Black Zilk: https://www.thomann.de/fr/sommer_cable_the_spirit_black_zilk.htm.
Rockboard Cable: https://www.thomann.de/fr/rockboard_flat_lead_cable_300cm_s_s_blk.htm.
Could I do better ? Thank’s shearing your impressions.
This thread is really interesting and I could add to Nekomatic ’S post : difference between Speakon and Jack, knowing that for ex. TC Bam or Elf use jack output for a 200 W power ?
And do you say (excuse my English): Difference between floating ground and not ?