Why become a member? ×

Best Zoom (or similar) for recording live music?

Beedster

Too many units available and too many options! I need to put the recorder in a suitable spot in the rehearsal room or venue and press record. Would prefer to use internal mics and be able to upload directly to computer i.e., not via a memory card 👍

Zoom have nailed the small electret mic capsule tech that is used in the H1,H2n,R8,R16 etc, I've used the H2n long term (100s of hours) and love it - works very well as a self contained set it down and press record solution, and you just connect it to a usb port with a usb lead and copy the files to the computer like you would a usb stick or external HD.

If you don't need recording options beyond XY stereo (this is what I use most of the time on the H2n) then the H1 would probably do the job - the H2n has a red led record/clip indicator at the top of the grill just under the record mode selector that you can see easily from across the room, not sure whether the H1 clip led position is as visible in practice due to the position on the housing. All the zoom devices have tiny lcd screens which are kinda hard to see at any distance as they turn off the backlight after a couple of seconds to save battery power.

If you go for the H1n or H2n, the appropriate accessory pack is definitely worth getting for the case and this thing

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/product-accessories/ma2-tripod-mic-stand-adapter

which is invaluable (although you could homebrew one yourself) the mounting thread is the same as camera tripods, so it is possible to use things like a gorillapod flexible tripod if a regular mic stand or tripod can't get the recorder out of harms way.

If you are going to want to record direct from mixing console at any point, the 1/8" line in on the H2n isn't really a good solution.

I can't comment on whether the built in mics on the H4/H6 are an upgrade, as I haven't used them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the look and price of the Tascams but I've heard about interference issues with them so I've been looking more closely at the Zoom H1n and H2n. Can't really decide which to go for.

I'm looking at something to record rehearsals and potentially gigs.

I have a Tascam DR-05 as well, great wee thing and always had great results from it. Mainly used it for recording new songs at rehearsals, really helps with not only remembering what the song was, but also for refining ideas for parts and seeing what works / what doesn't.