Why become a member? ×

Passive Di box or backup amp

BassAdder60

I keep a spare/back up amp at home for any amp break down between gigs but I carry a Tech 21 Sansamp in my bag to cover emergencies.  We have a pair of full range RCF cabs (725 iirc), no subs and we've tested it and it's fine.  As it happens the singer owns the PA and he's just bought one of those new fangled boxes that we plug into and he controls on his ipad (hey I'm a bass player!) and I'm assured I don't even need my Sansamp as the unit has IRs for bass.   

15 minutes ago, redbandit599 said:

I used to carry a VT Bass DI as backup, but then thought why not just have a small amp instead? - So got a TE Elf. It's DI sounds good (as it also does through the rig too, and plenty loud) and so it covers both options.

I was thinking along the same lines such as a new TE Elf purely as a back up. I know it would struggle but it would provide the Di too and give a bit more tone control

I had the Sansamp bass driver but sent it back, preferring my CTM100 without it so for £250 I could buy a small amp ! 

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I was thinking along the same lines such as a new TE Elf purely as a back up. I know it would struggle but it would provide the Di too and give a bit more tone control

I had the Sansamp bass driver but sent it back, preferring my CTM100 without it so for £250 I could buy a small amp ! 

There are quite a few similar options to The Elf - Warwick and TC have alternatives. The Elf is surprisingly loud, I took it along to rehearsal once ( we are daft and rehearse loud..) stuck it on a 410 and it coped no problem. Sounded really fat too.

It seemed like it might be the easier fix in a 'live' situation too - if main amp goes pop during the gig, then sticking a DI in will still mean you'll probably need to tweak the monitors and FOH sound - I thought just swapping in the small amp would be an easier fix. Plus you can use them without a cab as a DI too.

That said, I've never had to use it in anger...and now I've worked it out I probably won't! 😄

• Like 1

I have a Darkglass Microtubes X Ultra on my board, which I can use as a Di in emergencies. Had to do it recently and with the cab sim on, it was fine through the PA. If I wanted something solely as a back up, I’d be tempted to get a used GK MB500 to keep in a gig bag