Why become a member? ×

NBD - Starter 1/2 size. Lots of questions

sblueplanet

Hey there, I just picked up a 2nd hand 1/2 size double bass by Antoni, made in China. Got it for £150 so was worth a punt I thought. So, are there knowledgeable buffs out there who can advise on getting the best out of this instrument? I’ve cleaned it up, slackened the strings, adjusted the bridge and tuned it to concert but that’s it so far. Strings seem dead, is that normal, or is it that a bass of this level is never going to have great sounding strings put on it in the factory?  Feel the E string is lacking clarity, very muddy compared to other strings. I’ve only ever played/ recorded on DB a few times in my life with borrowed instruments but never owned one to practice with. All advise appreciated as to what to do to improve the DB experience 🙂

image.jpeg

Edited by sblueplanet
Change of image

Double bass strings don't really go 'dead', but the strings might be orchestral strings which could give a dull pizz tone. Could be the soundpost needs adjusting or it could just be a rubbish bass.

Antoni basses aren't at the low end of the Chinese mass produced basses, so it's probably worth trying new strings and then adjusting the bridge and/or soundpost.

Can you take a photo of the silks on the string afterlength? If we can ID the strings then it will inform us whether different strings will make a difference.

Be aware that you will need to spend money.... Double bass strings aren't cheap and while there is a healthy used string market, 1/2 size scale strings aren't common so you'll probably have to buy new.

You can do some bridge adjustments yourself, but soundpost work needs a luthier and about £60.

Don't get started on pickups, thats a whole new rabbit hole.

Not a clue about those strings. Random cheapies I guess.

The pizz only standard is probably thomastic spirocores.  The Best all round strings seem to be Eva Pirazzi ( "weich" if your only going to pizz, regular if you want to bow ).  .  But I paid £180 for my set. Bit ott on a £150 bass.

strings do make a big difference; but don't get too hopeful; I don't think a half size laminated bass is ever going to "sing".

The other bass players in my orchestra have decent basses but mostly use orchestral strings which sound really dead to me.  One of them has a 3/4 laminate with Eva pirazzis on it and that plucks better than the nice carved basses with bowing strings imo.

My fully carved 4/4 with spiros on beats the others hollow! Pretty good with Eva's too ... but that's a £5k + bass with £100s in setup costs and £200 strings.

Maybe stick with what you have. Get a feel for whether you like double bass then look to upgrade?

45 minutes ago, sblueplanet said:

Really? If no stand then lie on its side?

My dad used to stand his in a corner, neck (and bridge) inwards.

He would lie it on its side at rehearsals and on stage (orchestral and jazz player).

Edited by alyctes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

My dad used to stand his in a corner, neck (and bridge) inwards.

He would lie it on its side at rehearsals and on stage (orchestral and jazz player).

Me too.  Used to lean it backwards against the wall; one night it fell forward, shed it's fingerboard, cracked its bass bar and loss lots of the little patches old basses acquire inside. £1500 repair bill and that was 20 years ago.

Probably less of an issue with a small laminate bass.   But why risk it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NickA said:

Me too.  Used to lean it backwards against the wall; one night it fell forward, shed it's fingerboard, cracked its bass bar and loss lots of the little patches old basses acquire inside. £1500 repair bill and that was 20 years ago.

Probably less of an issue with a small laminate bass.   But why risk it.

Exactly  It's certainly what I'd do with a cello, which is a smaller instrument altogether.

On 30/10/2022 at 20:00, sblueplanet said:

Here is a photo of the string silks if this helps identify the existing strings. Any recommendations for replacements are also welcome.

That looks like a totally random collection of odd strings.

Spirocores are a good bet if you're happy to pay £150.  If you want something cheaper, D'addario Preludes are under £100.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sblueplanet said:

Given DB strings are so expensive what is the lifespan?

Years & years & years. If I put some new spiros on my bass I'd expect them to be still sounding great after five years and counting. Obv depending on how much you're playing and whether pizz or arco, I don't play arco so not sure how much the rosin affects lifespan.  

You can buy a well used second hand set for less and still get a few years use out of them.

• Like 1