Why become a member? ×

Stock bridge vs Fender HiMass IV Bridge Brass - SOUND COMPARISON

Bart Funk Bass

My 2 cents.  We are just too obsessed with these upgrades. 

I'll admit that I've swapped out plenty of bridges over the years this was more to do with comfort and adjustability rather than whether I was going to get more or less ponk from the stock bridge.  I've actually cut myself on high grub screws from a BBOT, so it was a no brainer to upgrade to a Hipshot Kicka$$.  Swapping out Thunderbird bridges to Babicz units was also more about the bridge (literally) falling apart when you took the strings off and the general lack of adjustability.

We only seem to think about tone in isolation; once you're playing in a band context you simply will not be able to hear any difference.

• Like 1

Yep, I'd agree with that; the main driver for me replacing a bridge is simply a better engineered, more practical (more comfortable, adjustable (I like a Schaller 3D for string spacing adjustment) or doesn't-fall-apart - see Gibson 3-Point) solution. Over many years I've come to realise that any tone considerations are ones that I just don't register much, and certainly not once the drummer starts hitting things...

• Like 2

@Bart Funk Bass nice comparison!
I found really useful the sustain bit at the end. I took the liberty of adding an FFT next to that actually, attached below.
My 2 cents, they are different sounds, both good I think.

I think the stock bridge has that classic Fender bark, but the high mass bridge is overall more balanced with more low/low-mids too. That doesn't mean it's better though.

In the video attached one can kind of see what I'm saying.

Edited by mario_buoninfante
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought Leo’s bent metal bridge was genius simplicity. High mass bridges promised sustain , but I didn’t necessarily see that as a good thing. I sometimes palm mute.

Last week I replaced two bridges on basses. I have a Danelectro shortscale DC bass that has the metal adjustable bridge and replaced that with a wooden popsicle stick bridge to get more of a woodier thump. And it worked.

And I replaced a 3point bridge on a Gibson DC Jr bass with a high mass Hipshot. To be honest I don’t notice much of a change , but it looks a heck of a lot better. 

Just put a Hipshot on my Flying V. So I prefer Leo’s original bent metal , but on Gibson basses I’ve been replacing the 3points with higher mass Hipshot bridges. 
Say one thing do another … it is much easier to palm mute with the hipshot.

Having replaced a BBOT with a hi mass bridge in the past, I agree that the differences are truly minimal, if there are any differences at all. I am convinced, however, that a bridge can make a significant difference in some cases—think Warwick / Spector brass stuff and so on. But we are talking of a significantly higher mass to begin with, not to mention an entirely different design. In any event, the Fender Hi Mass is a fantastic bridge—in fact, had it been metric, it would have been perfect.