Why become a member? ×

String price increases. Nearly double for some.

fretmeister

Amazon winning out for me, NYXL set I use is £29 at the mo, which makes it a good deal, when Stringsdirect sells the same set for £40.

Also, its worth watching Amazon strings.  They walk the price down over time, before increasing it after a certainly number of sales.  The last NYXL set I bought I watched it fall to £26 before buying, next day it was up to £32.  Get them added to your basket and keep an eye on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a custom set of Chromes from Strings Direct, 45-65-85-105. They were £79.

Late 2020 I bought a 45-60-80-105 set from them, which I think was about £62.

Given general inflation and the recent shortages of the ribbon steel needed for flatwounds, this seems about right.

Though can't help recalling that the 49-109 set of LaBellas I bought 6 months ago from Bass Direct were half that.... 

I recently paid £57 for a set of tapewounds. No 5 string sets available at the time so had to go for a 4 string plus a single. The 4 string set were £43 and a single 5th string was £8 - then there was the P&P. Now available on Amazon and eBay for around £50 

Thomann are the cheapest site but are charging £19 delivery

Earlier this year I think I paid £39 to my door. When I could buy them from Status Graphite they were soo cheap that it was like buying steels from a shop. 

Ah, those were the days...and reminiscing was so much better then too.

After a bit of experimentation I think I've settled on the good old La Bella Deep Talking Flats to replace my lovely Dunlops. They are a lot cheaper these days.

I've got a set on my 'Berg TT5 and they sound very good.

Ideally the B would be a bit heavier than the .128 but as long as I don't really whack it the sound is good. Unfortunately they only make a B flat in that gauge.

Hopefully I'll get 5 years out of them!

• Like 1

On 09/01/2023 at 16:17, fretmeister said:

After a bit of experimentation I think I've settled on the good old La Bella Deep Talking Flats to replace my lovely Dunlops. They are a lot cheaper these days.

I've got a set on my 'Berg TT5 and they sound very good.

Ideally the B would be a bit heavier than the .128 but as long as I don't really whack it the sound is good. Unfortunately they only make a B flat in that gauge.

Hopefully I'll get 5 years out of them!

Interesting. 

I absolutely love the Dunlop flats but there's no way I'm paying £90 if I need to replace them. 

Are the DTFs quite low tension? It's one of the things I like about the Dunlop. 

Edited by uncle psychosis

On 07/12/2022 at 19:08, mario_buoninfante said:

Yap, prices have defo gone up.
Recently I have been buying D'Addario EXL165 45-65-85-105 and in July they were £22.89, while now £27.99 on sale, otherwise £35.50. All prices on Gak.

These were what I used when I switched back from flats to rounds as they are smooth for rounds and sound really good. I was buying the twin packs for around £30.

Since they put the prices up I decided to try other strings and have settled on Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys at about £18 a set. I can only get 5 or 6 wedding length sets out of them before they get start to get dull as opposed to 7 with the D'addarios but they sound and feel much better. The E string seems more solid, especially when detuned to D

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

These were what I used when I switched back from flats to rounds as they are smooth for rounds and sound really good. I was buying the twin packs for around £30.

Since they put the prices up I decided to try other strings and have settled on Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys at about £18 a set. I can only get 5 or 6 wedding length sets out of them before they get start to get dull as opposed to 7 with the D'addarios but they sound and feel much better. The E string seems more solid, especially when detuned to D

I'll defo double check them then!

Thanks for the tip :)

On 14/01/2023 at 15:50, uncle psychosis said:

Interesting. 

I absolutely love the Dunlop flats but there's no way I'm paying £90 if I need to replace them. 

Are the DTFs quite low tension? It's one of the things I like about the Dunlop. 

They are close enough in tension.

On 03/12/2022 at 13:13, TheGreek said:

I've been ordering Warwick tapewounds for my basses. Best price is £20 from Thomann but postage is £10.

Does anybody know if they combine the cost if you order more than 1 set.

I thought shipping was free over a certain amount. Can't remember what it is