Why become a member? ×

Eugene Santini - Pointer Sisters - anybody know about him?

Mokl

For a long time I've admired the bass work on The Pointer Sisters 'Steppin', and thought it was all Paul Jackson on bass. Looks like I was wrong, as credit to most of the tracks is given to a "Eugene Santini". Bass line on the below is one of my all time faves, anybody know anything about him? Interested to check out any other recordings he might appear on, but Google isn't giving me much to go on. 

Edited by Mokl
  • Like 2

• Mokl changed the title to Eugene Santini - Pointer Sisters - anybody know about him?

That is a serious bass line - never heard this track before.

I would suggest that it's all played with a pick, loads of damping and compressed to within an inch of it's life, and possibly partly double tracked/overdubbed as well.

I shall have a crack at this tomorrow, don't know how far I'll get but good fun trying, and thanks for the heads up.    🙂

• Like 2

IMO it's fingerstyle and not overdubbed.

I think this is the same guy I saw playing on their UK tour on the early 70's, when they were touring Yes, We Can Can, he's a little white guy with great chops playing a Precision bass.

5 mins on Youtube and I think I've found him. I think this is the guy I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYMtwqAfnA&ab_channel=GeneSantiniJr.Drummer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZkjjENj_w&ab_channel=Soultube

• Like 4

Just run through the 'How Long' track - I find it pretty straightforward to get the right feel using a pick, but I know I'd find it quite tricky with fingers.

And the little fills he ornaments the bass line with on the old audio track of 'Yes We Can Can' are really excellent!

Anyway, I'm off down the Foam Shop this morning !  😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Eugene Santini is on this track below. While looking at some YouTube comments, I noticed his son recommended it ...

Now that's what I call a good slap sound. None of yer Mark King  plink-ity-plink nonsense.

• Like 3