Why become a member? ×

GK 1001 RB II VS GB Shuttle 6.0

Musicman20

The shuttle seems to cover a lot of problems Im having. But...is it going to be loud enough?! Ill be using it mainly at 8 ohms....what does it do when you are going too loud?!

The GK seems great...not sure Ill be going down the cab route for them...so Im not 100%.

Maybe I even need to start looking at other amp makes for a fairly lightweight head.

Any suggestions?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='467684' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:55 PM']The shuttle seems to cover a lot of problems Im having. But...is it going to be loud enough?! Ill be using it mainly at 8 ohms....what does it do when you are going too loud?!

The GK seems great...not sure Ill be going down the cab route for them...so Im not 100%.

Maybe I even need to start looking at other amp makes for a fairly lightweight head.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Well if the Shuttle is loud enough to make the crowd not laugh at Josh3184 for being left handed then yeah I'd say it's loud enough.

Mark-Bass are another sought after brand which specify in light-weight heads.

P.S. Josh you know I love you really.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Delberthot' post='467653' date='Apr 20 2009, 05:30 PM']One thing I would say that the Shuttle is rated at 600 watts but that limiter comes on constantly very early on, whereas I never had anything come on to suggest that i was overdriving the GK at 480 watts. The 1001RB is probably going to be more power than you will ever need.[/quote]

The GK amps don't have any output limiting circuitry, they're designed to overload with that nice growl when they reach their limits - and to get that sound RAG recommends you choose an amp that doesn't have too much power or you won't reach those limits. You were probably frequently hitting full power but it sounded good and there were no lights to frighten you.

The Shuttle on the other hand has the most foolishly calibrated clip/limiter light ever. It comes on at 6dB below full power, which is 150W into 4 ohms - this is the point when the soft limiter starts to gently work its magic. Eventually you will reach full power and the amp will clip (but this will happen much later than with an amp which runs uncompressed right up to clipping) - does the LED change colour at this point or is it completely uninformative? Great amp, great limiting circuitry, one v weird design decision.

Alex

[quote name='Delberthot' post='467719' date='Apr 20 2009, 06:29 PM']I think its red or red. I don't know how i would differentiate between soft clipping and overloading the thing completely[/quote]

I suspect it'll start sounding nastier when it hits the hard limiter at clipping. Why they didn't just make it a clip light I will never fathom...

Alex

My conclusion is....I cant get any more cabs. Ive got an Ampeg 8x10 for BIG gigs, an Orange OBC 4x10 and an Orange OBC 1x15.

All three cabs care capable of some pretty high volume....

So...now Ive got my Orange AD200b for recording and more pro gigs, I want something I can use for smaller gigs or gigs when we have little room.

A lot of the time it will be house 8ohm or 4ohm cabs....so basically its got to be good through other cabs and my cabs.

Hmmm....this is quite a mindfield!

It has to be able to do rock....if It cant it will not cut through. Ive heard volume issues with the Shuttle 6.0 which is annoying as I thought it might be the right head for me :)

The GK might be a good idea....but I wont be getting GK cabs....ive got too much gear.

Its more like a 'second head'....between £500-650 max.

Anything will be considered!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='467779' date='Apr 20 2009, 07:42 PM']My conclusion is....I cant get any more cabs. Ive got an Ampeg 8x10 for BIG gigs, an Orange OBC 4x10 and an Orange OBC 1x15.

All three cabs care capable of some pretty high volume....

So...now Ive got my Orange AD200b for recording and more pro gigs, I want something I can use for smaller gigs or gigs when we have little room.

A lot of the time it will be house 8ohm or 4ohm cabs....so basically its got to be good through other cabs and my cabs.

Hmmm....this is quite a mindfield!

It has to be able to do rock....if It cant it will not cut through. Ive heard volume issues with the Shuttle 6.0 which is annoying as I thought it might be the right head for me :)

The GK might be a good idea....but I wont be getting GK cabs....ive got too much gear.

Its more like a 'second head'....between £500-650 max.

Anything will be considered![/quote]

I hope this doesn't sound condescending in anyway but playing the head through a different isn't going to make it sound bad at all man, just go with the head that you think will give you the punk tone your after.

[quote name='Josh' post='467802' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:12 PM']I hope this doesn't sound condescending in anyway but playing the head through a different isn't going to make it sound bad at all man, just go with the head that you think will give you the punk tone your after.[/quote]

+1

exactly...as I said previously I play my 1001rb through an ashdown abm 810 and it ROCKS! the GK is a very balanced head, you can get a great tone out of any half decent cab, and your cabs are weeeell decent imo :) I would say go for it, it will blow your mind with every single cab combination you use....and as for volume, I would say GK watts are on steroids :brow:

Cheers!

It was only the bi-amp thing I was worried about....it says somewhere about potentially blowing horns?!

Ive seen tons of guys using GK's with ampegs etc, just wondered how the horn reacts in 4x10s...dont want to overload it.

Is the bi-amp thing even a massive deal? I think thats what I was thinking!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='467839' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:53 PM']Is the bi-amp thing even a massive deal? I think thats what I was thinking![/quote]

Nope, just a nice little extra feature if you choose to get GK cabs.

The Shuttle 6.0 does have volume issues. IT'S TOO LOUD!

When I play with Chainsaw, I'm the only one that doesn't D.I. to the P.A. because I'm loud enough already! And we are a loud band. Almost every gig, I point out to someone in the band where my master gain is ...usually about 20% on. It's ridiculous.

However, it isn't as loud with a passive bass ...so you might not go for it.

But the OP was about a back-up head. With the Shuttle OR Little Marks, you get something with great tone and volume, that you can carry around with you without noticing. I can't see the point of lugging a medium or heavy head to have just as a spare ...unless it simply lives in the van for when there's an emergency.

Mind you, if I had two heads, I'd be keen to split my signal and use both ...one for the bottom end and one for the growl and bite! Ooh er Mrs :)

I think it would be good if the amp matched well with a Stingray and Fender P and J.

I definitely would like something much more crisp.

The Orange is the king of tube. Just tried my Stingray through it for the first time. Wow...perfect...so much punch and low end. And with the gain high the MM sounds like a monster!

But, Ive heard many good things about MM GK pairings!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='467905' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:39 PM']The Shuttle 6.0 does have volume issues. IT'S TOO LOUD!

When I play with Chainsaw, I'm the only one that doesn't D.I. to the P.A. because I'm loud enough already! And we are a loud band. Almost every gig, I point out to someone in the band where my master gain is ...usually about 20% on. It's ridiculous.

However, it isn't as loud with a passive bass ...so you might not go for it.

But the OP was about a back-up head. With the Shuttle OR Little Marks, you get something with great tone and volume, that you can carry around with you without noticing. I can't see the point of lugging a medium or heavy head to have just as a spare ...unless it simply lives in the van for when there's an emergency.

Mind you, if I had two heads, I'd be keen to split my signal and use both ...one for the bottom end and one for the growl and bite! Ooh er Mrs :)[/quote]

You are kinda right here! I was looking for a small backup and ive gassed upto a 700W GK!

Oh heck.

I do really need small and light...and more hi fi with the capability of some grind..which keeps pointing shuttle!

It's really not that heavy, I can't stress that enough, either as a nation men are getting weaker or I'm bathed in the white light and am destined to take the throne.

Honestly though, if you can haul an Ampeg cab around then you'll have no problem what so ever.

Edited by Josh

Its a massive shame I live nowehere near the stockists of this gear.

I might pop to electro and try some Mark Bass and see what else they have today.

I think if I go down the ultra lightweight route, I might have to wait a little while. Ive been told an amp can be provided for our tour so it isnt now a massive problem.

Soon, there will be the MB LMIII, the Orange Bass Terror, the GB Shuttle 6.0 MAX and no doubt other bits n pieces in the next few months. Hopefully not that long though!

Ill try and try the GK 1001 out asap.

Thanks

I sold my GK RB700 combo to get a Shuttle 6 which I still own.

My thoughts:

Buy the Shuttle because weight, neutral colouring and portability are your main priorities. You won't have the same tone shaping abilities and you won't have the ear splitting sizzle from the GK but you can't expect to get everything in a chassis that size.

Buy the GK if you own a dark or scooped sounding bass, or need a lot of aggressive treble and low end in your sound, or need extensive tone shaping (for example if you play with a pick and need to hear attack).

Apart from that I don't think there's a lot between them. Both have mid controls you can tweak to help with monitoring on stage so in terms of dialing in the mids that carry pitch information, either would be OK assuming the same speaker set up was used in each.