Why become a member? ×

What happened to the Burns Sonic thread?

BigRedX

Question

8 answers to this question

I assume it has been hidden as it is a whatsitworth post by a non supporting member which is (and always was) against the rules.

There is a whatsitworth forum for supporting members as the restriction against it was against hidden selling, but if they supporting memebers they can put a sale post up anyway - it was introduced after a long discussion as to whether it would upset people. If it does, it will go.

edit - no it hasn't been hidden, it has been moved. I don't know why it isn't hidden, I will ask

Disappointing, considering I spent a fair amount of time typing my replies which would have given the OP some important information regarding the "originality" of their instrument and which are now essentially lost.

I trust that someone has messaged the OP and explained why their post has been moved/hidden, and pointed them in the direction of the relevant rule, so they can understand why this has happened. Otherwise it's not a good first impression for someone who's just joined the forum.

BTW I've been here forever and it still took me a good tens minutes of digging about until I found firstly, the rules and secondly, the section regarding "valuation posts". Is reading and agreeing to the rules now a mandatory part of signing up to Basschat? Again it's been so long since I joined I don't recall ever having had to this and even if I did they will have changed since joined.

Maybe it would be a good idea if all the members on here had a read of the current ones?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I trust that someone has messaged the OP and explained why their post has been moved/hidden, and pointed them in the direction of the relevant rule, so they can understand why this has happened. 

No ideas, would have to know who did it to see. I have asked why it wasn't hidden

37 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

BTW I've been here forever and it still took me a good tens minutes of digging about until I found firstly, the rules and secondly, the section regarding "valuation posts". Is reading and agreeing to the rules now a mandatory part of signing up to Basschat?

FWIW I managed to find it in under a minute, so not quite sure why it was so tricky but yes, as far as I know, following the rules of a forum has always been a mandatory part of using any forum. I am not disagreeing that the rules on here a bit opaque and hard to follow sometimes, but that is down to the site owners to make that choice. Obviously you can't expect people to know all the rules, especially when they have just joined (actually, even when people have been here ages) but they are normally picked up and sorted quickly by the mods, if they are seen. But there is a lot going on and it can get missed. 

21 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

No ideas, would have to know who did it to see. I have asked why it wasn't hidden

Could you please ask whoever has moved/hidden the thread to get in touch with the OP and explain to them why this has happened. That might give them the opportunity to create a post regarding this bass that doesn't contravene the forum rules for non-supporting members, as some of us had some useful information about the bass that we would like to share with the OP. 

Regarding the placement of the rules, they are easy to find once you know were to look, but it might be an idea next time the forum is updated for them to be moved to the top level of the Basschat menu where the link is immediately visible on every page rather than being hidden in the "Support" sub-menu.

Also, since the forum rules have changed several times since Basschat was first started, it would be quite easy for older members to fall foul of newer rules that weren't in force when they originally signed up. Maybe it should be mandatory for all members to have to agree to any new rules in order to continue using the site?