Why become a member? ×

Valve heads

Kevin Dean

I checked my Ampeg manual and I’ll continue to use mine , here’s what it says,

STANDBYSWITCH:Pressthetopof the switch to turn the Standby mode on. The Standby mode allows the tubes to warm, or remain warm, without high voltage being applied to them, which helps to extend tube life. This switch should be OFF when first turning the amplifier on. Allow the unit to warm up for at least 60 seconds before switching the Standby to the ON position. During short periods of non-use, the amp should be put into Standby mode.

When I turn off my all valve amp I just throw the standby switch on, so it's in the correct position the next time I switch the amp on, then throw the power switch to off; no delays. Once my bass and instrument cable, any pedals and power cord plus speaker cables have been packed away the amp is already cool enough to be covered and moved. I don't understand where this dilemma has come from? But I have had a couple of beers, hic......

Edited by Sparky Mark

10 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I don't understand where this dilemma has come from? But I have had a couple of beers, hic......

It's not really a dilemma or a big issue.  It is a simple fact that valves are more fragile than solid state and a 'little' more care needs to be taken.  I was always lead to believe that the power up/down sequence simply lengthened the life of the valves.  I have to confess that I've learned a bit re. the standby / cooling down period.  I tended to think that standby for a minute or two just allowed the valves to cool gradually; going from full hot gig temperature to cool down a bit in standby mode and then full cool down when 'off'. 

For me, common sense said you simply did everything gradually; take it into a gig from a cold van/exterior and give it a while to come to ambient, power up in standby, full power on to play... and then just reverse that to take it home.  I've never timed how I do such things, just whatever happened naturally.  :)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

It's not really a dilemma or a big issue.  It is a simple fact that valves are more fragile than solid state and a 'little' more care needs to be taken.  I was always lead to believe that the power up/down sequence simply lengthened the life of the valves.  I have to confess that I've learned a bit re. the standby / cooling down period.  I tended to think that standby for a minute or two just allowed the valves to cool gradually; going from full hot gig temperature to cool down a bit in standby mode and then full cool down when 'off'. 

For me, common sense said you simply did everything gradually; take it into a gig from a cold van/exterior and give it a while to come to ambient, power up in standby, full power on to play... and then just reverse that to take it home.  I've never timed how I do such things, just whatever happened naturally.  :)  

That's what I got told off the guy that designed the valve amps I had. He also suggested as you switch it off and its powering down, hit your bass strings to help discharge (I presume) the capacitors.

• Like 1

I do "get" the standby to warm up principle, just not any extended delay to the cool down procedure. Agreed that valves are potentially more mechanically fragile than solid state devices and that discharging caps might be beneficial safety-wise. However, some power supplies require to be switched on periodically to condition capacitors too. Without understanding the full science (which I don't) it's hard to know what's fact or just gut feelings.