Why become a member? ×

Fascinating brief profile (1979) of Ian Dury

Happy Jack

"It's not obvious is it....?" Beautiful moment. I love everything about the late 70's, and Ian Dury is probably very close to the top of the list, the first time I realised what being 'a tight band' meant was watching The Blockheads, and there was probably not better frontman for that band that Dury, an oddly Shakespearian character who was in so many ways years ahead of his time. Now he really was a huge loss not just to music but to the wider arts and to society generally ❤️ 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Apparently when the filmmakers approached the family about the biopic his son (Baxter I presume) said ‘OK but  you have got to show what a c*** he could be’ or similar.

I suspect that in the final analysis our children are our harshest critics. It's easy to look at the way a person behaved at a point in time and think "I would never have done that". But of course, we were never that person in that situation, and none of us have the slightest idea what that felt like or more importantly, what the options might have been. Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes, and as is very clear from the film, his shoes were not easy to walk in, metaphorically or otherwise  

• Like 1

Wow, what a great film!

I was a big Ian Dury fan at the time, and I'm an even bigger one now. I can still remember buying New Boots And Panties  bringing it home and being thrilled by the swearing. Ian was such a complex but likeable character.

In retrospect, Ian Dury and the Blockheads were, like XTC, The Police and The Jam in so much as at the time they rode on the coattails  of the punk movement. Funny thing is, listening to   those classic records Blockheads now, such is the musicianship that they are closer to Steely Dan than the Sex Pistols!

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2