Why become a member? ×

Hughes & Kettner Quantum QC 421

Dubs

[quote name='escholl' post='466449' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:55 PM']don't know, never seen one before, but they look f**king nice! Grog from Die So Fluid plays though a H&K, and her bass tone is one of the best i've ever heard -- so they can't be that bad ^_^

always good to be a bit different :)[/quote]

Cheers for that mate :rolleyes: I've bought it completely blind but it was such a good price that it's definitely worth a punt. I'll have to check out that band and get a listen to her bass tone.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='466601' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:00 AM']How much then?[/quote]

A gentleman never tells… :) Put it this way – I would have got change from the price of a second hand MIM P bass…

I've not got my hands on the thing yet so I could be jumping the gun a bit...

[quote name='sk8' post='466972' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:25 PM']i saw that one was tempted but my back said no![/quote]

:) My back said "hmm, not bad..." @ 29kgs! My old Trace combo was about 34kgs and that was heavy but not too much to handle, and this is lighter so it can't be a bad thing. My old SVT-CL in its flight case was probably over 45kgs on its own...

[quote name='escholl' post='466449' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:55 PM']don't know, never seen one before, but they look f**king nice! Grog from Die So Fluid plays though a H&K, and her bass tone is one of the best i've ever heard -- so they can't be that bad ^_^

always good to be a bit different :)[/quote]

Also needed to be said:

Mmmm, Grog from Die so Fluid.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='467025' date='Apr 19 2009, 09:36 PM']Also needed to be said:

Mmmm, Grog from Die so Fluid.[/quote]

:wub: i need to go lie down now...

also, really interested to know what you think of the amp Ben, the more i look at it the more i want one.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='466983' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:35 PM']:) My back said "hmm, not bad..." @ 29kgs! My old Trace combo was about 34kgs and that was heavy but not too much to handle, and this is lighter so it can't be a bad thing. My old SVT-CL in its flight case was probably over 45kgs on its own...[/quote]i looked into them a while ago having had the Matrix Guitar combo. I don't think you will disapointed epsecially at the price you paid

[quote name='escholl' post='467109' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:39 PM']also, really interested to know what you think of the amp Ben, the more i look at it the more i want one.[/quote]

I’ll get some pictures up and a mini review (I’m lazy) when I get my hands on it; I hope to have it by the end of the week - paid for it through PayPal yesterday but the guy seems to only check his emails once a day as communication has been a bit sporadic and slow.

[quote name='sk8' post='467184' date='Apr 20 2009, 08:13 AM']i looked into them a while ago having had the Matrix Guitar combo. I don't think you will disapointed epsecially at the price you paid[/quote]

Cheers mate. It looks like a great combo and powerful enough for anything I’m likely to use it for in the foreseeable future. I’m still amazed that no one else bid on it. I would have gone up to £300, but as it’s turned out I will have only spent about £210 (including shipping) on it when it arrives at my front door…

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='466392' date='Apr 18 2009, 09:40 PM']Opinions? Seen these retail online at £899; worth the cash?[/quote]
Hughes and Kettner are one of the few serious companies in the business. They have their own full-time electronics designers. They have their own in-house woodworking plant, which makes cabs for companies like JBL and others. They also build their own electronics, and last time I looked, were still making everything in Germany - unlike much of the rest who have shipped production (and jobs) to China. The guy in charge of production (and part owner of the company) has a master's degree in horn design.
I could go on... I have a lot of time for them and did once own a Fortress preamp and power amps, until a so-called friend borrowed it and disappeared. (Dougie McKendrick, where are you now?).
Quality gear.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='467238' date='Apr 20 2009, 09:59 AM']Hughes and Kettner are one of the few serious companies in the business. They have their own full-time electronics designers. They have their own in-house woodworking plant, which makes cabs for companies like JBL and others. They also build their own electronics, and last time I looked, were still making everything in Germany - unlike much of the rest who have shipped production (and jobs) to China. The guy in charge of production (and part owner of the company) has a PhD in horn design.
I could go on... I have a lot of time for them and did once own a Fortress preamp and power amps, until a so-called friend borrowed it and disappeared. (Dougie McKendrick, where are you now?).
Quality gear.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. From the sounds of it they’re a great company and I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on this combo. I’ve heard a lot of great things about their guitar amps (especially the £2k + heads) but not a lot about the bass stuff, but from the sounds of things this QC421 is gonna be great.

[quote name='escholl' post='467277' date='Apr 20 2009, 10:38 AM'];) :lol: :lol: ;) ;)

but....but.....that's not fair!

i'll give you 300 for it! :rolleyes:[/quote]

:) yeah it is pretty crazy, but this is my first eBay bargain having always paid pretty much exactly what my other gear has been worth or there abouts. I was worried that the seller was going to back out of the deal, but it all seems kosher at the moment...not gonna be 100% sure till it’s in my possession though :D

[quote name='sk8' post='474910' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:34 AM']for what you paid it was a steal. Always fancied one and if i hadn't had my shuttle would have probably bid on it. Lucky for you i didn't :rolleyes: ;)[/quote]

:) yeah, I have been lucky with this. I put a bid of £300 (which was my entire budget) on it with about 10 seconds to go, but I was amazed that no one else took a punt on it. I’ve had a few other eBay things f*** up on me over the last year so I guess this is a bit of karma :D