Why become a member? ×

Cheap EBay Pedal Board PSU?

Johncee

Looks like what used to be a Caline one. Loads of people used them with no issues it seems. Having said that, you never quite know what you're getting with generic Chines stuff. Might look the same but....

Personally I would spend a few quid more and get something from Thoman like a Harley Benton or a Fame from DV247 - at least there's some backup if you need it 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Looks like what used to be a Caline one. Loads of people used them with no issues it seems. Having said that, you never quite know what you're getting with generic Chines stuff. Might look the same but....

Personally I would spend a few quid more and get something from Thoman like a Harley Benton or a Fame from DV247 - at least there's some backup if you need it 

If you absolutely want to save every penny and this is the same as the Caline ones (it looks like it is) then go for it. It won't cause you any issues at all. Problems may come if you like adding cheaper pedals, or more expensive and more thirsty pedals. Then you might get some noise bleeding through and having a decent PSU at least rules out that as a source of unwanted noise. 

I'm on my second Caline PSU. Nothing wrong with the first one, I just gave it to an old friend who's still using it when I went to a massive multi fx unit. I'm now back to separate pedals and I went straight for a Caline PSU because I know it works. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2022 at 11:55, uk_lefty said:

If you absolutely want to save every penny and this is the same as the Caline ones (it looks like it is) then go for it. It won't cause you any issues at all. Problems may come if you like adding cheaper pedals, or more expensive and more thirsty pedals. Then you might get some noise bleeding through and having a decent PSU at least rules out that as a source of unwanted noise. 

I'm on my second Caline PSU. Nothing wrong with the first one, I just gave it to an old friend who's still using it when I went to a massive multi fx unit. I'm now back to separate pedals and I went straight for a Caline PSU because I know it works. 

Why do you think cheaper pedals might be an issue ? Less power supply noise rejection ? That should really be eliminated in the PSU itself imo.

And more expensive pedals ? If they draw more current than the power supply can...errr ... supply, then that's obviously a problem.

Bottom line (pun intended 😊). For least potential noise / problems use a supply with properly (galvanically) isolated outputs. That will work well with digital pedals etc.

And if not then using individual outputs is better than a daisy chain power cable as it reduces common impedance in the 0V ("Ground") line.

14 hours ago, rmorris said:

Why do you think cheaper pedals might be an issue ? Less power supply noise rejection ? That should really be eliminated in the PSU itself imo.

And more expensive pedals ? If they draw more current than the power supply can...errr ... supply, then that's obviously a problem.

I'm no techy but when I've had cheaper pedals (Mooer, weirdly named stuff off eBay and Amazon) I've had unwanted pedalboard noise. When I've used Boss, Darkglass etc I haven't. I've always used a cheap power supply. I'm not drawing any conclusion to the exact reason except "cheaper components". If other people don't have these issues, great. 

17 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I'm no techy but when I've had cheaper pedals (Mooer, weirdly named stuff off eBay and Amazon) I've had unwanted pedalboard noise. When I've used Boss, Darkglass etc I haven't. I've always used a cheap power supply. I'm not drawing any conclusion to the exact reason except "cheaper components". If other people don't have these issues, great. 

Could it also be that the designs aren't as good?

5 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Could it also be that the designs aren't as good?

Depends what you mean by the design ? - of the circuit itself, its implementation on a pcb and how things are wired, the enclosure wrt shielding.

Type and position of the power supply is also a possible factor. Depending on the nature of the 'noise' eh hum / buzz / hiss / general "digital hash" etc...

Edited by rmorris
clarification

19 hours ago, rmorris said:

Depends what you mean by the design ? - of the circuit itself, its implementation on a pcb and how things are wired, the enclosure wrt shielding.

Type and position of the power supply is also a possible factor. Depending on the nature of the 'noise' eh hum / buzz / hiss / general "digital hash" etc...

All of the above. They are all different and more likely the cause of problems than the quality of the components themselves IME.

• Like 1

General pedalboard noise tip. 

Avoid the inexpensive patch cables usually in various colours and all coated in plastic including the plug ends.

They lack shielding at the plug ends and are monsters for picking up noise.

And in a pedalboard context this includes radiated power supply related noise.

Edited by rmorris