Why become a member? ×

Travis Bean #222 TB2000?

GBH999

My dad recently passed away leaving a collection of guitars and basses, including a travis bean which I believe to be a tb2000 with the serial number 222… it is in immaculate condition and would just like any info on it and a rough price check as from my research they vary quite alot. Funnily enough there is a post from 2017 in which someone talks about owning this one? 

Not looking to sell as the collection has sentimental value.

Thanks in advance!

9AB304E4-7EB2-46DF-96E9-FC00DAFBA983.jpeg

8710E2B0-E212-4849-9E39-152FA75F276F.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, GBH999 said:

If I’m honest I have no idea not sure what year this is.. further googling has shown me its 1976

My fretless one was #573 and I bought it brand new in 1977, so that sounds right. I assume you've already found this: http://www.travisbeanguitars.com/index.php/ID/b0c3b03f61dd971d41519e82144bafea/fuseaction/database.detail.htm ?

Edited by Passinwind

• 5 months later...

That's my old bass.

A bit of backstory.  I bought it in Lewisham 1980/81...£375.00, so about a month's salary.  It had a bit of an issue with the fingerboard and the wood was lifting a bit between the nut and the third/fourth fret on the E-string side.  I took it to a luthier in Kingston who built baroque instruments and had formulated a method of adhering wood to metal, but there seemed to be an issue with the aluminium not being machined 100% (there was a shallow dip...a fraction of a millimetre) so the wood was never going to adhere properly, if that makes sense. 

He put a fretless ebony board on it.  I didn't like the bridge at all so he installed a Badass and glued in two small strips of ebony to fill in the gap in the body (these are visible in the photo below).  New brass nut.

I used it as a fretless for a while and then took it to (the late) Richard Knight in Addlestone and had it refretted.  I kept it for a few more years...it didn't get much use and traded it in at ABC music in Addlestone for something else (I'm too ashamed to say what).

I often wondered what came of it and saw that it appeared on the Travis Bean database a few years back.  I seem to recall that the owner posted up somewhere seeking a replacement original bridge.  The bass appeared on eBay in 2015/16 so I assume your dad bought it.  I know it was in Oxford at one point; I was playing the Bullingdon in Oxford one night and I had a few email exchanges with the owner who offered to bring it along to the gig so I could use it for our 30 minute set.  Didn't show up, sadly.

Anyhow, here's two photos.  You can make out the figuring on the body, but it looks a lot redder in your photo.  The other shot is of me and my best mate when we were doing early live sessions for Virgin at The Townhouse in Shepherds Bush.  I forget who we were playing with...it was a signed duo of guitarists, a white guy and a black guy who had inked a deal with Virgin, Hugh Padgham was supposed to have been producing.  No idea what happened!

[Edit]. I mentioned to Gabriel by PM that I have photos the luthier took when the original fretboard was off.  I'll try and find them and get them scanned in.

20230215_143443.jpg

20230215_143424.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

That's my old bass.

A bit of backstory.  I bought it in Lewisham 1980/81...£375.00, so about a month's salary.  It had a bit of an issue with the fingerboard and the wood was lifting a bit between the nut and the third/fourth fret.  I took it to a luthier in Kingston who built baroque instruments and had formulated a method of adhering wood to metal, but there seemed to be an issue with the neck (it wasn't 100% level in that area (there was a shallow dip, so the wood was never going to adhere properly, if that makes sense.  He put a fretless ebony board on it.  I didn't like the bridge at all and he put a Badass on it and glued in two small strips of ebony to fill in the gap in the body (this is visible in the photo below).

I used it as a fretless for a while and then took it to (the late) Richard Knight in Addlestone and had it refretted.  I kept it for a few more years...it didn't get much use and traded it in at ABC music in Addlestone for something else (I'm too ashamed to say what).

I often wondered what came of it and saw that it appeared on the Travis Bean database a few years back.  I seem to recall that the owner posted up somewhere seeking a replacement original bridge.  The bass appeared on eBay in 2015/16 so I assume your dad bought it.  I know it was in Oxford at one point; I was playing the Bullingdon in Oxford one night and I had a few email exchanges with the owner who offered to bring it along to the gig so I could use it for our 30 minute set.  Didn't show up, sadly.

Anyhow, here's two photos.  You can make out the figuring on the body, but it looks a lot redder in your photo.  The other shot is of me and my best mate when we were doing early live sessions for Virgin at The Townhouse in Shepherds Bush.  I forget who we were playing with...it was a signed duo of guitarists, a white guy and a black guy who had inked a deal with Virgin, Hugh Padgham was supposed to have been producing.  No idea what happened!

20230215_143443.jpg

20230215_143424.jpg

Great story and pics, but you HAVE to tell us what you traded it for at ABC Music! 9_9

Mine is #23; they're fabulous and unique basses

Travis Bean TB2000 full front.JPG

• Like 2