Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4005 reissued!

Grahambythesea

They came out a while ago, and to be honest not much like a 4005. Still lovely though. 

Worryingly, at the eye watering price tag I've seen complaints about build quality, up close the tailpiece looks terrible. More like it's designed to cut strings rather than anchor them. 

I'm not a Rick hater BTW, wait 'til they get going. 😁

If someone wanted to gift me one I'd take my chances with it. 😎👍

I believe these are Short Scale 30.5" so, not even really a reissue, which was a disappointment.

The Price was also a shock when they announced it.

When you consider you could take something like an Epiphone Rivoli Ii reissue and fit a set of custom RIC type pickups for around 1/4 of the price; you begin to appreciate how much you're paying just for the Brand Name.

Having said all of that; of course I'd love to own one 😀

53 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

The tailpiece looks like the one on the 12 string George Harrison had before the R tailpiece was introduced. An R type would have been more attractive. I didn’t realise it had come out a while ago, I must have missed that memo 🤔🤣.

Yes, it looks far more like an early Rickenbacker 360 Capri, or dare I say it, a more accurate copy of the Shaftsbury Rick copy bass than an actual 4005. 

I've just been trying to find the thread where it was discussed when it was released, but I can't find it. Maybe it was removed, I can't remember if things where heading the wrong way in it. 

27 minutes ago, Madein1962 said:

I believe these are Short Scale 30.5" so, not even really a reissue, which was a disappointment.

The Price was also a shock when they announced it.

When you consider you could take something like an Epiphone Rivoli Ii reissue and fit a set of custom RIC type pickups for around 1/4 of the price; you begin to appreciate how much you're paying just for the Brand Name.

Having said all of that; of course I'd love to own one 😀

The other even better option is a certain luthier who makes extremely accurate tributes to Rickenbackers, but with even better attention to detail than Rickenbacker themselves can manage. 

See my avatar. 😉

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

Yes, it looks far more like an early Rickenbacker 360 Capri, or dare I say it, a more accurate copy of the Shaftsbury Rick copy bass than an actual 4005. 

I've just been trying to find the thread where it was discussed when it was released, but I can't find it. Maybe it was removed, I can't remember if things where heading the wrong way in it. 

The other even better option is a certain luthier who makes extremely accurate tributes to Rickenbackers, but with even better attention to detail than Rickenbacker themselves can manage. 

See my avatar. 😉

Now, that's something I would definitely be interested in.

For so many years people gave Rickenbacker grief for just turning out the same old stuff. But the last couple of years have been interesting because of the various small runs they’ve been doing. And there’s been lots of checkerboard binding.

That was like a bass version of Harrison’s legendary twelve string. And the order window has closed. I couldn’t quite justify the price at the time , but I loved it. Short scale too.
If they were to use a 350 body and put a short scale neck on it I’d be in trouble. 

Just yesterday they announced a yellow 4003 with checkerboard.

Look at what 4005 basses are selling for , Gibson , Ball Family Reserve , and Fender custom shop  are more expensive . It’s a limited run instrument that will increase in value if their past runs are any indication.

Oh it was too rich for me but I loved the bass. 

• 2 months later...
On 27/08/2022 at 12:29, msb said:

For so many years people gave Rickenbacker grief for just turning out the same old stuff. But the last couple of years have been interesting because of the various small runs they’ve been doing. And there’s been lots of checkerboard binding.

That was like a bass version of Harrison’s legendary twelve string. And the order window has closed. I couldn’t quite justify the price at the time , but I loved it. Short scale too.
If they were to use a 350 body and put a short scale neck on it I’d be in trouble. 

Just yesterday they announced a yellow 4003 with checkerboard.

I don't know if I'll get kicked in the yarbles for commenting on a thread from 3 months ago or not, but I figured I'd test the waters. 

You said the order window has closed so I wanted to tell you that Sweetwater is selling them right now. 

You and a couple others mentioned that it looks like a 350, and that is what their marketing says about it, that it's a 350 combined with a stereo 4003, but shotrt scale, a 30 inch neck. I don't know if that's what the original 4005 was, but they haven't really said it's meant to be a reissue, it's j just a 90th anniversary tribute, mode 4005c. 

Regarding the price, I would never be able to afford it myself, but if you can afford it, it sounds like it a good buy because if it's very limited production run. The way even a modern day 4003 keeps its value for resale is pretty remarkable, I bet this one would only appreciate in value. 

I think it's awesome looking, I don't know how it plays but the body shape and checkerboard inlays are sweet. 

Some dealers have stock , but Rickenbacker are no longer taking orders to make new ones , so once the available stock is gone , they’re done.

(and at that point they’ll probably increase in selling price , as so many limited runs have done)

I think they’re gorgeous , I’d love to have bought one , but … 

3 hours ago, Wild Cayote said:

Regarding the price... it sounds like it a good buy because if it's very limited production run. The way even a modern day 4003 keeps its value for resale is pretty remarkable...

I have to say that the resale value is the least interesting thing for me. I buy instruments as tools. A good one is a keeper, poor one can go. If a 4005 is only meant for collections, it does not have to be good at all, just one more look-a-like.

I’ve read quite a few reports from those that bought the XC. For the most part they were diehard Ric aficianados , and well versed with Ric basses. And they were delighted that the company made something different. And completely over the moon with their new bass. Expensive , yes , but also something unique. 
I expect them to only appreciate. I wish I had the disposable income to have snagged one.
I happily would have.

• 2 weeks later...