Why become a member? ×

Back to the low frequency fold

Chris Hales

Hi,

I’ve been playing bass for over 40 years - started out in a re-bodied Futurama, moved on to an Antonia fretless Precision copy (Percy Jones was a huge early influence)

My musical interests have moved through pop, rock, folk rock, fusion, jazz and pretty much all the way back again!

These days I’m playing my 1980s Westone neck now hosted by a Boogie Precision body (weighs a ton) with an extra Bartolini at the (Schiller) bridge.  Recently got a Cort Rithimic (did I mention how much I love Jeff Berlin’s playing?) both played through a Markbass something or other.

I never lost the passion for playing bass but loving it being my main instrument again!

Hello to everyone - I’m sure there is some great advice here I can benefit from!

Cheers!

Chris

2 hours ago, Chris Hales said:

Thank you!

One thing I meant to say is that I’ve never owned a Fender bass.  Played a few but never been “wowed”.  Am I missing out?

That way lies a can of worms. Personally (having owned a couple) I'd say no, but you will find several fanatics on here who will tell you that all anybody needs is a Precision with flatwounds.

• Haha 1

The nearest thing I had to a Fender was a fretless Squier Jazz from new.  It had a dead spot on the finger board.  After about three weeks, I traded it in against a Vantage fretless with P and J style pups.  That was in the eighties.  I still have the Vantage.

I have no particular hankering for a genuine Fender.

• Thanks 1

The Cort Rithimic (awful name) is definitely Fender inspired but is much more engaging than any Fender I’ve played.  Once I start playing I really don’t want to stop!  It’s just great fun!

On the other hand, the Fender designs are, rightfully, classics.  And maybe something magical I’ve missed if you find the right one?

22 hours ago, tauzero said:

That way lies a can of worms. Personally (having owned a couple) I'd say no, but you will find several fanatics on here who will tell you that all anybody needs is a Precision with flatwounds.

Back in the 70’s and my Antoria fretless I tried flatwounds, half-rounds… dull as anything!  Quickly swapped to roundwounds and to hell with whatever damage they did to the fingerboard!

I’m still a very inexperienced player, but I can’t understand why anyone would want to play flatwounds!

It depends on the tone you want to hear . I’m an old school flatwound guy , most of my basses carry them , a few have extremely old rounds that are just as thumpy as well worn flats , and I do keep fresh rounds on some others. 
I usually gig with a Dano Longhorn that was made in 98 and still has the factory strings on it , I have a set of LaBella flats ready if I lose a string. The Dano has a great deep woody thump with the ancient strings and sits beautifully in a stage mix. 
However I usually practice with a bass that has fresh rounds. 

• Thanks 1

That's really interesting and just goes to show how out of touch I am!  Admittedly, I am striving for a sound with clarity and definition but, as a bedroom bassist, I'm oblivious to the practical concerns of how my playing sounds in a band context!  (Actually, I know exactly how my playing sounds, but that has nothing to do with my choice of strings.)