Why become a member? ×

GAS - The seven stages.

TheGreek

I think I’m pretty much gas free , I really have everything I need , and yet I still scour kijiji , which is an online local buy and sell. And sometimes a really good deal will get the best of me. I’ve been known to message friends when I see something they’re after.

Most recent finds were a SWR Headlite amp , and. Gretsch baritone. Already have a Bass VI so the baritone was just going a little further down that rabbit hole. I’ve been tuning it AtoA. 

And a recent deal , A Ganz amp. About the size of a pedal , it’s a tiny 400 watt amp designed by a pedal steel player , although much of his sales are from bass players. You’ll need a preamp/ front end with it.

They’re made by Jay Ganz in New Jersey, I’ve seen several of these up for sale locally. And that’s surprised me as these are fairly rare and exotic.

This was passed on to a fellow bassist , he hasn’t been using it so it might wind up with a steel player we know.

94774CFA-B0E7-4671-8BA3-18933DCD1E85.webp

4 hours ago, msb said:

I think I’m pretty much gas free , I really have everything I need , and yet I still scour kijiji , which is an online local buy and sell. And sometimes a really good deal will get the best of me. I’ve been known to message friends when I see something they’re after.

Most recent finds were a SWR Headlite amp , and. Gretsch baritone. Already have a Bass VI so the baritone was just going a little further down that rabbit hole. I’ve been tuning it AtoA. 

Ah yes, Kijiji, a blessing and a curse and the reason I have two double basses and two amps but only need one of each.🙄🇨🇦

Edit: ...and I still look through the listings every day.🙂

Edited by Staggering on

I still manage to gig regularly and Herself has never given me grief about gear purchases. She actually looks on many instruments as works of art.
She misses the beauty of cabinets though , and refers to my Bergantino cabs as Lamborghinis .

• Haha 1

You are not alone. 

When I joined I had one 4 string, a 5er and an acoustic bass.

I now have seven 4 string basses,  six 5ers, four guitars ( I don't play guitar), a mini bass with rubber strings and at least six rigs.

You're all a bad influence on me...😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't go through the "dissatisfaction" phase - if I did, I wouldn't have as many instruments as I do. "Desire", yes, and "Research" to make sure I'm not making a horrible mistake. "Purchase" has to happen, and I only do that when I have enough money to buy the instrument, not add to my debt, and "Guilt" has never happened. "Acceptance" follows straight on from "Purchase", and "Relapse" doesn't happen because at this point I've headed back to "desire".

However, what this means is that there has to be a certain level of granularity so I don't think I'm just getting another bass to do exactly the same thing. So I've got a pair of 4-strings, one fretted, one fretless. Sorted. Then I've got 5-strings, one headless fretless, one headless fretted standard scale, one headless fretted multiscale. Um, and one headed fretless with a piezo bridge, one headed fretless without a piezo bridge, one headed fretted with a piezo bridge, one Variax headed fretted, one Warwick headed fretted, and one headed fretted with Bartolini pickups. I think that differentiates them sufficiently.

• Haha 1

We're all wired differently, but sometimes GAS is so immediate those seven steps go out of the window.  

A few years back I wandered into WH Smith in Reading and by chance saw Jeff Ament on the cover of Bass Player holding his signature model.  It was like someone threw a switch.  In seconds I knew that my (eight or nine) Gibson Thunderbirds were toast and so last year and that Lulls were the way forward.  In seconds.

Logistics aside (build time/delivery) I think within 24 hours my order was in and I'd listed several 'birds here for sale.

• Haha 1