Why become a member? ×

NBD: Ibanez EHB1265MS

tauzero

Well, yesterday to be strictly accurate. Went down to visit @lowregisterhead and have a little chat and a try of the instrument in question, then headed home.

It's got a neck which I immediately got on with - I'm not sure what the best description of the profile is, if I say "oil tanker hull" then people may get the idea. Fan frets are fine, this is the first I've owned but I have played them in the past and knew they wouldn't be an issue. I'm a fan of headless basses too.

This particular one has been updated with Aguilar pickups. The demos I've heard with the original Bartolinis didn't seem as clear and crisp as the Aguilars do. The annoying bloke with the lobster hand did the same upgrade on the base model EHB1005 which was a noticeable improvement. The preamp is very flexible with not just stacked bass and treble but also mid cut/boost and mid sweep, and playing with that showed it to be very effective. All in all, a very impressive instrument.

Thanks to Dave for the hospitality and the bass.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Well, yesterday to be strictly accurate. Went down to visit @lowregisterhead and have a little chat and a try of the instrument in question, then headed home.

It's got a neck which I immediately got on with - I'm not sure what the best description of the profile is, if I say "oil tanker hull" then people may get the idea. Fan frets are fine, this is the first I've owned but I have played them in the past and knew they wouldn't be an issue. I'm a fan of headless basses too.

This particular one has been updated with Aguilar pickups. The demos I've heard with the original Bartolinis didn't seem as clear and crisp as the Aguilars do. The annoying bloke with the lobster hand did the same upgrade on the base model EHB1005 which was a noticeable improvement. The preamp is very flexible with not just stacked bass and treble but also mid cut/boost and mid sweep, and playing with that showed it to be very effective. All in all, a very impressive instrument.

Thanks to Dave for the hospitality and the bass.

Thanks for making the journey, Mike. Enjoy the bass!

On 18/08/2022 at 13:04, fretmeister said:

Those Aguilars are really good.

I've seen the word "articulate" used about pickups and I'd never have dreamed of using it myself, but I was sorely tempted. Clear treble and full bass. They seem to simply pass the string vibrations across to the preamp without colouring or muddying them. They seem a very good compromise between the Barts which seem a little lacking in treble and the Nordstrands which are similarly clear and maybe a bit more pushy.

• Like 2

I recently got a EHB1505 and it's really surprised me how great it is. My first headless instrument and it's very comfortable and easy to transport (only bass I have that fits in my boot without seats down !).

@tauzero If it's a reasonable request i'd like to try my standard scale against yours to see how different they are ? I'm happy with mine currently, but the multiscale does look so much better and could be tempted to upgrade should the B really be improved.

8 hours ago, Machines said:

I recently got a EHB1505 and it's really surprised me how great it is. My first headless instrument and it's very comfortable and easy to transport (only bass I have that fits in my boot without seats down !).

@tauzero If it's a reasonable request i'd like to try my standard scale against yours to see how different they are ? I'm happy with mine currently, but the multiscale does look so much better and could be tempted to upgrade should the B really be improved.

No problem, we can sort something out. And you can try out the Variax 705 too 😁

• Like 1

On 19/08/2022 at 23:55, tauzero said:

I've seen the word "articulate" used about pickups and I'd never have dreamed of using it myself, but I was sorely tempted. Clear treble and full bass. They seem to simply pass the string vibrations across to the preamp without colouring or muddying them. They seem a very good compromise between the Barts which seem a little lacking in treble and the Nordstrands which are similarly clear and maybe a bit more pushy.

I've tried the Nordy's on other basses and I found them too clanky for my current needs. Great pickups though, but the Aguilars are just lovely.

They now do DCB versions of P and J pickups so I'm tempted to get a set for a different bass.