Why become a member? ×

Could you recommend a modestly priced bass - coming from a short scale player

dajaphonics

I have a Squier Jaugar short scale bass that I've had only briefly as I recently repaired a Epiphone ET-280 short scale. I figured I don't need two and I much prefer the pickups and general sound from the Epi. So I'm guessing I could make the Jaguar sound better with different pickups, but I've never had a regular full scale (or whatever you call it) bass. I like to record and I guess if I'm playing maybe I can't really tell the tone apart too much from different pickups but when I listen to a recording, I can definitely discern the difference. I was thinking like a Fender P bass is a classic but the price disparity is all over the place with Fenders. I'm almost wondering is it worth it to get a Squier P bass and just swapping the pups?

Just to add an element to the conversation - is it worth having both a short scale and regular bass guitar? Maybe it's completely unnecessary and I should just sell the Jaguar and be done with it. I know this is a personal decision.

Edited by dajaphonics

Look at the Harley Benton short scale P-bass as a unit for upgrading. The previous owner fitted a Delano in the one I have and it suits the bass well.

I have a 34" scale bass as well as my shortscales but it gets no use so you could get away witout one.

4 hours ago, police squad said:

a squier classic vibe p bass would be good. Also I can highly recomend a Vintage V4. Great value and great quality and sounds like a P bass. I have 4 Vintage guitars and they are all very good instruments and have good pickups too

Good call, Vintage make very good instruments, the V4 Tony Butler Sig Precision I had was very good, not for price, just very good.