Why become a member? ×

How can I search a thread for my own comments?

alyctes

Question

7 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

If you wouldn't mind, please have a crack at Google Advanced Search. It used to be that you could drill right down into a forum thread by copying in the url of the thread to the ''domain'' and Bob was your hairy arsed Auntie.

Doesn't work for properly me. I've just checked the "How was your gig last night?" thread in which I have posted on multiple occasions - and between 2011 and 2015 almost every week.

Using the thread URL as the domain and my user name in the "this exact word or phrase:" field it brings up exactly 4 results - 2 where my user name is also included in the URL of a photo I posted, once when someone has quoted me, and once when I have edited my post. And even posts with these attributes should be more numerous. I don't even get the usual Google message saying that similar results have been hidden.

Even if it did work it's nowhere near as convenient as being to search for your posts within a thread directly on the site and get a lst of results in the normal way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2022 at 09:40, BigRedX said:

Doesn't work for properly me. I've just checked the "How was your gig last night?" thread in which I have posted on multiple occasions - and between 2011 and 2015 almost every week.

Using the thread URL as the domain and my user name in the "this exact word or phrase:" field it brings up exactly 4 results - 2 where my user name is also included in the URL of a photo I posted, once when someone has quoted me, and once when I have edited my post. And even posts with these attributes should be more numerous. I don't even get the usual Google message saying that similar results have been hidden.

Even if it did work it's nowhere near as convenient as being to search for your posts within a thread directly on the site and get a lst of results in the normal way.

Did a search using Google, with the thread URL as a site: string and "BigRedX" . got 9 hits (one of which was a photobucket URL) and one hidden 'similar' value.

Slightly better than the built-in search engine, but slightly less convenient.

• Like 1