Why become a member? ×

1979 Peavey T-40 - NOW SOLD

silverfoxnik

[b]**** NOW SOLD ****

Thanks for all the interest!
[/b]
Hi Folks,

I recently bought this [b]1979 Peavey T-40[/b] from GreeneKing with the slightly bonkers idea of turning it into a 4-string bass but with low B tuning, i.e. B-E-A-D.. But when I got it 2 weeks ago I decided against that idea as it would have meant spoiling the integrity of the bass, which is pretty much as it was when first made apart from a recently fitted new scratchplate (also comes with the original though).

It's in good working order, is set up nicely and plays really well and has a very [b]distinctive tone[/b] - apparently much loved in country rock circles in the good old US of A! The [b]passive circuitry[/b] is very unique and allows the pick ups to be used in either [b]single-coil[/b] or [b]humbucker[/b] mode just by altering the tone controls for each pick up! The sound from the bridge pick up is an absolute joy and the 'thump' from the neck pick up is really good.. You can get a [b]vintage 70s vibe[/b] quite easily but also a more nasally, [b]'80s 'honk'[/b] at the flick of a toggle switch! All in all, it's a very good bass and especially so at this kind of price...

Just to be clear, it is a heavy bass though that's never bothered me personally as my Wal and Roscoe Beck are very heavy too..The weight adds to the tone of the bass, so IMHO, is a trade-off worth making! Anyway, here's some pictures that GreeneKing has very kindly let me use, though I will take some more at the weekend in better lighting if I can:

[attachment=23932:th_T401.jpg] [attachment=23933:th_T402.jpg] [attachment=23934:th_T403.jpg]

[attachment=23935:th_T404.jpg] [attachment=23936:th_T405.jpg] [attachment=23937:th_T406.jpg]

[attachment=23938:th_T407.jpg] [attachment=23939:th_T408.jpg]

There's a few reasons why I've decided to sell and that's as follows:

1) Because I just can't seem to get on with the feel or size of the neck.
2) I'm not sure this will get used as a normal 4 string ahead of my Wal or BC Rich Eagle (both of which are more comfortable for me to play).
3) Because I'm thinking maybe I should look around and get another 5 string, like a [b]G&L L2500[/b] Tribute or one of the Ibanez ones like the [b]SRX705NT[/b].

I'm also on the lookout for an [b]Aphex Bass Exciter[/b], so [b]trades are definitely possible[/b] depending on what's out there?

I paid [b]£220[/b] for this bass so am looking to get as close as I can to that figure for it now. It goes without saying that anyone nearby is very welcome to come and try the bass and yes, I am [b]happy to ship[/b] at buyers expense and risk. Will be well protected and shipped in a [b]Fender Gigbag[/b]. Please [b]PM me [/b]with any questions and thanks for looking!

Nik

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='spinynorman' post='464998' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:40 PM']Just wondering if I would have the same problem with the neck as you do, or if it might be better for me. Is it the width, the maple, or something else? Also how much does it actually weigh?[/quote]

Good question though obviously not an easy question one to answer as I've no way of telling whether you'd have the same problem with it's feel as me.. as for the wood; no - I like the maple as it gives it a real 'snap' to the sound!

But as for neck width and any other factors, what works for me may not work for you and vice-versa.. So I'm loathe to say.

To help answer your questions as much as possible, I'll try and get some more details on it in terms of nut width, width at 12th fret and bridge etc, and I'll also get it weighed as well!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='465613' date='Apr 17 2009, 10:41 PM']Good question though obviously not an easy question one to answer as I've no way of telling whether you'd have the same problem with it's feel as me.. as for the wood; no - I like the maple as it gives it a real 'snap' to the sound!

But as for neck width and any other factors, what works for me may not work for you and vice-versa.. So I'm loathe to say.

To help answer your questions as much as possible, I'll try and get some more details on it in terms of nut width, width at 12th fret and bridge etc, and I'll also get it weighed as well![/quote]

In response to a few PMs I've had asking for more info, here's a link to the T-40 Enthusiasts website, which has the manual available to view online: [url="http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/t-40-user-manual-f13/t-40-user-manual-no-download-necessary-t316.htm?sid=f6883791239903fcb47a83b9fd235122"]http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/t-40-user-...47a83b9fd235122[/url]

According to one article on the web, here's the neck details: "[i]Width at nut 1.56", string spacing at bridge .75", fingerboard radius 16"[/i]"

There's also this from a BGRA review of the bass:

[i]"It's in very good nick, few scratches and dents here and there, but very well kept, considering it's a 30 year old bass. Quite heavy, although not as heavy as I thought it would be (about 5kg, erm... I think approx. 10lb), when switching basses, you really feel the difference :-) I didn't find the neck to be "log-like", actually: it's really comfortable, although I must say I'm not a fan of glossy finish on the neck, but it isn't really a problem, especially since I dig the neck profile very much. The only thing I don't really like is the radius, maybe a little bit too flat for my taste, but it's all about getting used to it."[/i]

Full review is [url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=2337&type=bass"]HERE[/url]

I actually think the weight of this particular bass is more than 10lbs so I will weigh it ASAP just to be sure...

Hope that helps!

[quote]There's also this from a BGRA review of the bass:

"It's in very good nick, few scratches and dents here and there, but very well kept, considering it's a 30 year old bass. Quite heavy, although not as heavy as I thought it would be (about 5kg, erm... I think approx. 10lb), when switching basses, you really feel the difference :-) I didn't find the neck to be "log-like", actually: it's really comfortable, although I must say I'm not a fan of glossy finish on the neck, but it isn't really a problem, especially since I dig the neck profile very much. The only thing I don't really like is the radius, maybe a little bit too flat for my taste, but it's all about getting used to it."[/quote]

Ooooh, that's MY review of the bass :rolleyes:
Now that I read it again, it may be a tiiiiny bit too long :D

Very good bass, it doesn't sound very modern at all (of course), but with an unique tone.
Too bad mine has been stolen :) (bastards...)

[quote name='Boneless' post='466316' date='Apr 18 2009, 07:05 PM']Ooooh, that's MY review of the bass :rolleyes:
Now that I read it again, it may be a tiiiiny bit too long :D

Very good bass, it doesn't sound very modern at all (of course), but with an unique tone.
Too bad mine has been stolen :) (bastards...)[/quote]
Sorry to hear your bass has been stolen!! Good review though...

LOL, you'd be keeping it had it been made in the '80s :)
Shame you're selling it mate, it's a unique bass and one I've always wanted to own (however, as you know, I am now NoGasMan). It is a bargain price so I'm surprised it's still here (perhaps offer it on ebay to the continent or US).
Good luck with the sale
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='473989' date='Apr 28 2009, 09:27 AM']LOL, you'd be keeping it had it been made in the '80s :)
Shame you're selling it mate, it's a unique bass and one I've always wanted to own (however, as you know, I am now NoGasMan). It is a bargain price so I'm surprised it's still here (perhaps offer it on ebay to the continent or US).
Good luck with the sale
Chris[/quote]
Thanks for the support and excellent 80's reference as per usual Chris!! You could be right in that Ebay might be the best place to sell this..

By the way, you probably know that the Nomad went to another Basschatter this week, so I am temporarily free of 80's FX units, which can only be a good thing! :rolleyes:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='474290' date='Apr 28 2009, 03:09 PM']Thanks for the support and excellent 80's reference as per usual Chris!! You could be right in that Ebay might be the best place to sell this..[/quote]

I'd tend to agree with Beedster. I've been watching this thread for a while, and for the life of me I can't figure out why it hasn't sold. The price is very good, the bass seems to be in really nice nick, and usually these basses attract a lot of attention. I'd say you'd get a good response to this on Ebay.

[quote name='Beedster' post='474514' date='Apr 28 2009, 06:26 PM']Funny how basses at a really low price either go in a second or not at all! Put the price up Nik!
Chris[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. This thread reminds me of Warwickhunt's blue Streamer, which was a bargain as well.