Why become a member? ×

Snapped headstock on 69 Jazz bass - luthier recommendations

moleboy

Hi,

Sadly my 69 jazz bass was in a car accident and the headstock got snapped clean off (luckily the occupants of the vehicle fared much better).  It got repaired by a guitar tech some years ago in Leeds and I believe epoxy was used to fix it but now the join is opening up.

So I'm looking for a luthier recommendation who would be able to sort.  It's a real players bass (as you can see from state of wear) and I'm keen to keep it playing/looking as authentic/seamless as possible. I'm based near Leeds but prepared to travel to get the right person to work on it.

Thanks

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Never mind Botox... needs a Tight Bond Injection...

Calling @Andyjr1515...

Check out the posts and pics of Andys recovery work... in some ways are more impressive than a from scratch build.

Hmmm...flattered, but to be honest, to do this right, this is probably a step (or many more) beyond my own skills.  The challenge is that it probably needs breaking off fully again and the epoxy residue picked out of the grain - tite-bond (which is generally the right thing to use) really needs wood to wood to work properly.  I think it needs a pro-Fender tech to do it justice. 

37 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hmmm...flattered, but to be honest, to do this right, this is probably a step (or many more) beyond my own skills.  The challenge is that it probably needs breaking off fully again and the epoxy residue picked out of the grain - tite-bond (which is generally the right thing to use) really needs wood to wood to work properly.  I think it needs a pro-Fender tech to do it justice. 

I was looking forward to that thread from start to finish 😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, moleboy said:

Hi,

Sadly my 69 jazz bass was in a car accident and the headstock got snapped clean off (luckily the occupants of the vehicle fared much better).  It got repaired by a guitar tech some years ago in Leeds and I believe epoxy was used to fix it but now the join is opening up.

So I'm looking for a luthier recommendation who would be able to sort.  It's a real players bass (as you can see from state of wear) and I'm keen to keep it playing/looking as authentic/seamless as possible. I'm based near Leeds but prepared to travel to get the right person to work on it.

Thanks

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

David Wilson as others have said. He is a magician at stuff like this amongst other stuff he’s also brilliant at and a top fella too! No brainer imo

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the recommendations; this is a great community!

It sounds like Mr Wilson is the man I need and it's not too far of a drive either.  @wateroftyne Have sent you a PM to get his details.

I played a gig tonight with the bass but every time I do I wonder if it's going to be "that gig" where it gives out on me 😬