Why become a member? ×

Hello from Cardiff

Wigtwizzle

1) Hello.

2) I have a 12 inch speaker and Marshall amp borrowed from a pal whenever I have a gig. Previously I have used a USA G&L bass and a Music Man Big Al, both of which I sold when I thought I'd never gig again. I loved their sound and build quality, but found it so uncomfortabe on my back on two 45-minute sets. So when I got asked to do a couple of gigs now, I considered a Mustang or a violin bass for the short scale, then hit upon the genius idea of a Squier mini P bass. I used it on a gig last night, and I swear it was the best! When you're playing in a room with no soft furnishings with a guitarist and a drummer, I can't tell the difference sonically between a £150 and a £1500 bass - it's down to my fingers and the notes I play. The mini P is so comfortable, it's a keeper, and I'll put a jazz pickup in the bridge as well. YES!

• Like 4

Welcome to BC @Wigtwizzle
and hello from a fellow Cardiff-based player.

I've not tried a Squier Mini-P but I must say, I've been tempted to try one - especially as a back-up, or a bass to take along to pub-jams & camping trips. However, I then bought a Cort Steiny clone, and that's that role filled. Mind you, that Mini-P still looks great. Should I try one out? Probably not - I'm trying to thin the herd at the moment, and I'll probably end up buying one! lol :)