Why become a member? ×

Mooer Prime P1

stewblack

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I have considered it, as well as teh bigger Spark mini but they lack features I’d like.

To be honest, the product I want doesn’t exist. I wish Line 6 would revisit the pocket pod with the helix algorithms - so a smaller pod go, with Bluetooth audio, rechargeable battery and phone/tablet control. Something I can use for headphone practice, or plug into a small speaker at home, or use as a backup at gigs if my Helix fails.

Apart from the helix algorithms, that is the spark. I have a spark 40, and it really is good although not sure I would use it for gigs. But then I had a pod go and didn't rate that!

As a home practice thing it is fantastic though, it sits right by my chair in the living room for evening practice. I also have the waza air, but the spark would be the thing left if I had to get rid of one of them.

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Apart from the helix algorithms, that is the spark. I have a spark 40, and it really is good although not sure I would use it for gigs. But then I had a pod go and didn't rate that!

As a home practice thing it is fantastic though, it sits right by my chair in the living room for evening practice. I also have the waza air, but the spark would be the thing left if I had to get rid of one of them.

I really need a built in pitch shift effect that tracks down to low E. I don’t play 5 strings any more but I do down shift to BEAD on my helix for several songs.

Correct me if im wrong but I don’t believe the spark series have a pitch shift effect. 

• 3 months later...

Seems this slipped under the radar

https://www.mooeraudio.com/products/1164587355420454912.html

I love the idea of this product, I’d love to carry around essentially an fx brain that I can hook up to different things in different scenarios but the P1 seemed to have a fixed fx chain (Ala 90s multis) and there never seems to be any octavers available.

• Like 1

Does the following mean I can load fancy amp profiles on this thing?

*52 amp models created with MNRS technology + 10 GNR slots to store simulation files downloaded from the cloud

*25 cab sim models + 10 GIR slots to store simulation files downloaded from the cloud or third-party IR files 

• 4 weeks later...

New toy:

PXL_20240112_2307201033.thumb.jpg.2ee7c61bdc6e262dfad3c5b3dad52cb5.jpg

It seems decent, quite futuristic compared to individual analogue pedals. All the software and connections are intuitive (no need for a manual) and I've got some good sounds from it. 

Slight issues being: The tuner doesn't work well with the open E (it's fine on 12th fret instead though), no dedicated Bass effects or Amp/cabs. You can change presets, volume, and access the Tuner on the pedal, anything more involved needs phone/app though which is a bit of a shame. 

I suppose the thing is: Is it better than the NUX Mighty Plug for headphone practice, Zoom B1 four for band practice/backup, or a pedalboard of individual pedals for gigs? I think the answer is it's kind of the middle ground. 

It's bigger than the Nux but has a built-in tuner, more effects and longer effects chains, more presets, and more hardware controls. 

It is smaller than the Zoom and has Bluetooth and rechargeable battery and longer effects chains, not as editable without a phone though and I think I generally prefer the effects on the Zoom (they tend to have more parameters to adjust). 

A tradition pedalboard wins for being tough and more foolproof and easily adjusted/footswitch stompable for gigs. P2 will be a good pocket sized backup though, or good for having access to effects you don't have. 

I think for me it'll mostly be used for band practice rather than carrying about a full pedalboard. Perhaps I'll use it more than the mighty plug for home headphone practice - especially as it has a tuner. I don't think I'll use it at gigs, good as a backup though. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

Any noise? I hear a high end digital almost rattle with my Mighty Plug that is really starting to annoy me.

Does it have an octaver?

Have to admit, looks cool

I've noticed a high pitch noise from the Nux, but haven't noticed any noise from the P2. 

The octaver on the P2 is rubbish! 

19 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

Does it still have the same 4 slots per preset for f/x or dies it support more?

Sam x

I've got a chain with 11 effects in it and that seems the limit, they don't have to be in set positions or set effect types as with some multi-fx. 

You can use effect types multiple times before I guess it reaches processing limits e.g. Mucking about I've got a chain with 5x delays, 2x Amps, 3x overdrive and a comp - it won't allow me to change the comp to one of the other types. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I've got a chain with 11 effects in it and that seems the limit, they don't have to be in set positions or set effect types as with some multi-fx. 

You can use effect types multiple times before I guess it reaches processing limits e.g. Mucking about I've got a chain with 5x delays, 2x Amps, 3x overdrive and a comp - it won't allow me to change the comp to one of the other types. 

Which is cool, but I assume none of the weird stuff like in the zoom? Synths? particle reverb? Pitch delays?

What amp sim are you using since there are no bass specific amps?

looper?

3 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Which is cool, but I assume none of the weird stuff like in the zoom? Synths? particle reverb? Pitch delays?

What amp sim are you using since there are no bass specific amps?

looper?

No synth. Quite a lot of effects though (19 distortion, 14 modulation, 9 delays, 6 reverb,etc.). One of the filters is quite good. It has a looper. Generally I'd say the Zoom effects are probably better, there's not a huge difference though. 

I might be wrong, but I don't think there are Bass specific amps and Cabs:

Screenshot_20240113-151415.thumb.png.6adb9b3af0f2509d084fa6170c3606c0.png

Screenshot_20240113-151735.thumb.png.debbb2f3ddb71a8173a256a26a8c6ed0.png

Edited by SumOne

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm surprised there's no bass stuff on the new model. The original gives you a choice of bass or guitar  at the very start.

Weird isn’t it it’s perfect yet terrible at the same time.

I use my nux for practice but without a single bass amp (tbh I don’t care which) the Mooer can’t replace it.

Without any bass specific or random fx it also can’t replace my zoom as a back up rig or something I can just throw on the floor for a jam.

Maybe a firmware update will come and solve these problems for me.

Form factor, interface and io is perfect for what I want 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

No synth. Quite a lot of effects though (19 distortion, 14 modulation, 9 delays, 6 reverb,etc.). One of the filters is quite good. It has a looper. Generally I'd say the Zoom effects are probably better, there's not a huge difference though. 

I might be wrong, but I don't think there are Bass specific amps and Cabs:

Screenshot_20240113-151415.thumb.png.6adb9b3af0f2509d084fa6170c3606c0.png

Screenshot_20240113-151735.thumb.png.debbb2f3ddb71a8173a256a26a8c6ed0.png

Thanks I had read the manual a while back and remembered being unimpressed with the list, somehow was hopeful it was different when it arrived 😂

34 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

Weird isn’t it it’s perfect yet terrible at the same time.

I use my nux for practice but without a single bass amp (tbh I don’t care which) the Mooer can’t replace it.

Without any bass specific or random fx it also can’t replace my zoom as a back up rig or something I can just throw on the floor for a jam.

Maybe a firmware update will come and solve these problems for me.

Form factor, interface and io is perfect for what I want 🙄

I would say though, with EQ and multiple fx blocks you can probably make something sound like what they'd otherwise call a Bass amp, the difference feels quite arbitrary on a lot of multi fx. I mean, it isn't actually driving a real cab so it's mostly just a different view of EQ and gain controls. Likewise with cab sims - they usually just feel like EQ and perhaps a bit of reverb. 

I feel there has to be some common programming language between these platforms zoom, nux, mooer, sonicake etc 

They can’t all be reinventing the wheel making a digital rat every single company.

Someone just needs to make a third party app where we can pick and choose our favourite apps and load them on to the device that suits our needs.

…. and then if any of them can just put an xlr out on it

• Like 1

Sort of reluctantly, I'm going to return the P2 to Thomann while I can still get a full refund.

It is a good bit of kit, but is quite expensive at £209 and isn't really better than the Nux Mighty Plug (that I already have) for home practise, and although I only have a simple pedal setup for live use it can't replace pedals like the LS-2 for switching between two basses, or a stompable tuner/mute (unless getting the bluetooth footswich - in which case cost and size starts to creep up and then it seems why not get a cheap multi fx with footswitches), so it would be an addition to my pedalboard rather than replacing it.

It would be good as a pocket sized all-in-one pedalboard to take to band practise, but something like the Zoom B1 Four can do similar and save about £130  (allbeit a bit bigger, needing batteries/power supply, and no bluetooth to stream music). 

If I had a lot of spare ££ I'd keep it, but for me it just isn't adding enough to what I already have to justify keeping it.

Hopefully updates give it some Bass Amp/Cabs (although I find Amp sims are basically EQ points and a tone/gain levels of drive - so can be done with EQ and Drive effects blocks, and Cabs can be added as IRs), better tuner reading of a open E, some access to the drum loops/metronome directly on the device, and a low battery warning.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Sort of reluctantly, I'm going to return the P2 to Thomann while I can still get a full refund.

It is a good bit of kit, but is quite expensive at £209 and isn't really better than the Nux Mighty Plug (that I already have) for home practise, and although I only have a simple pedal setup for live use it can't replace pedals like the LS-2 for switching between two basses, or a stompable tuner/mute (unless getting the bluetooth footswich - in which case cost and size starts to creep up and then it seems why not get a cheap multi fx with footswitches), so it would be an addition to my pedalboard rather than replacing it.

It would be good as a pocket sized all-in-one pedalboard to take to band practise, but something like the Zoom B1 Four can do similar and save about £130  (allbeit a bit bigger, needing batteries/power supply, and no bluetooth to stream music). 

If I had a lot of spare ££ I'd keep it, but for me it just isn't adding enough to what I already have to justify keeping it.

Hopefully updates give it some Bass Amp/Cabs (although I find Amp sims are basically EQ points and a tone/gain levels of drive - so can be done with EQ and Drive effects blocks, and Cabs can be added as IRs), better tuner reading of a open E, some access to the drum loops/metronome directly on the device, and a low battery warning.

Hence I went for the P1; half the price and it has bass specific pre sets.  :/ 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Hence I went for the P1; half the price and it has bass specific pre sets.  :/ 

What you get with the P2 though is touchscreen access to change presets, more effect blocks, and a tuner (that doesn't work on my open E), so to me that seemed to make it a better potential candidate for band practise sessions and possibly gigs - not having to change things via phone.....but yeah, now I'm not convinced it's worth the extra ££, especially as it is lacking the Bass specific stuff (which I assume, or hope, will come in an update).

I think I might head back to a trusty Zoom B1- Four for home and band practise, and stick with individual pedals for gigs (until a shiny new multi-fx catches my eye!). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

What you get with the P2 though is touchscreen access to adjust presets, more effect blocks, and a tuner (that doesn't work on my open E), so to me that seemed to make it a better potential candidate for band practise sessions and possibly gigs - not having to change things via phone.....but yeah, now I'm not convinced it's worth the extra ££, especially as it is lacking the Bass specific stuff (which I assume, or hope, will come in an update).

I think I might head back to a trusty Zoom B1- Four for home and band practise, and stick with individual pedals for gigs (until a shiny new multi-fx catches my eye!). 

The P2's touchscreen is very handy but how often would you not have your phone with you regardless of if you had the P1 or 2?  P1 has the tuner so that isn't a deal breaker.  I think for a little bluetooth music practice tool and emergency interface for live, the Mooer is all I need and replaces my old Korg Pandora.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SumOne said:

FWIW I ended up forgoing the all-in-one backup and performance tool. The device I want doesn't exist - at least not in my budget.

So I now have the Boss Pocket GT as a practice tool and recently bought the Sonicake "Boom Avenue" flyrig as a hope-I-don't-need-to-use-it backup for gigs. It's okay, but I'm still considering getting the Sansamp Bass Flyrig V2 instead if I can find one for a good price - I could easily gig with one of them instead of the Helix (as long as I don't have to pitch shift.

Even though the Boss Pocket GT doesn't have bass amp models per se, I think it sounds much, much better than the P1. And the built in bass presets are usable without any tweaking. The only downside is the transport controls are all but useless since Youtube changed their restriction algorithms. It can be controlled with a wireless footswitch like the P1/P2, which could make it a viable live tool, but like yourself, the price then creeps up and you may as well use a more appropriate multifx device. Not to mention, I'm not convinced the headphone output going direct to FOH would be as good as a dedicated line out or XLR DI out on other "gig ready" devices.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

Appreciate the insight from everyone here.

Currently I have (far too much) an Audient Audio Interface, NUX Mighty Plug, NUX Mighty Plug Pro, Zoom MS60b, Zoom MS70CDR, Sonicake Boom Ave.

Then stuff I don’t include in this realm, 2 Groove Tube Ditto’s, JF Capo, Summit TD-100, SFX IEM Mixer and DI, Countryman Type 10, 3 Radial Stagebugs and a few pedals for fun.

My requirements are quite unique (weird), my lifestyle allow me to travel a lot and I always carry a bass with me, or am lucky enough to be visiting somewhere I have family where I’ve left a bass and some equipment for me.

To clarify my obsession with weight and size is due to me mainly travelling with hand luggage and checking a bass…. and you can’t check lithium batteries into the hold.

The NUX Mighty Plug was great and the Mighty Plug Pro should have been an upgrade and for the most part it is, the USB C means I can charge it with the same cable I charge everything else, it works as an audio interface with my iPad and I can bluetooth music too it from my phone, it’s also got IR loading so you can get a really nice sound out of it.

All of this is great except, no octaver, no weird fx, interface doesn’t lend itself to heavily messing with fx (I tend to use it as an amp, ir and maybe compression) can only ever be used as a practice device and finally has a weird digital rattle in the high end which is audible when playing on your own. I’ll probably just suck it up and wait until a Pro 2 or 3 comes out.

Then I have the Zoom’s (I have 2 so I don’t have to always carry one, one is with me and one is in the UK currently), I can transfer settings and swap fx between them. I can hack fx from the CDR on to the B and vice versa and if I need another I can pick them up for £50 ish and load the same fx and presets on quickly. It sounds pretty good,  (far better than the 506 of my youth), I can get some really obscure sounds that stop me from buying really expensive pedals, it runs on usb, 9v standard and AA’s so I can leave it in the case when checking, also means I get to a jam I can just throw it down on the floor and be away.

Issues with it are no usb c,, no simple master volume control to knock down a patch you’ve set too loud in your bedroom, no headphone so I have to use the NUX with it, which means I’m rarely playing with the amps in the Zoom because the NUX sounds lacklustre without one on and switching between multiple devices and interfaces isn’t conducive to creativity or simply playing.

These 2 basically do everything I need (but not want).

The wants then expand into

Whatever I have above I also need a DI box, maybe that’s all I’ll take on a gig but it’s not all I’m carrying with me.

Then I also carry a Behringer P2 on the off chance I get an IEM feed.

Then this is all practice quality stuff, I still have loads of gear for when I’m in the UK and doing recording or more serious gigging.

This ultimately means a lack of consistency between live, practice, jam, recording and whatever rigs. Not the end of the world but often leaves you longing for one when you only have access to the other.

So really I was hoping for a crossover between these 2 devices which the P2 really looked like. The P1 was really close initially but I didn’t like I couldn’t reorder the fx chain (takes me back to multi’s from the early 00’s).

So the device now that has me most tempted currently is the Kemper Player, it’s bigger than everything mentioned but smaller than everything I’m carrying. The only issue for me is power and usb.

This will sound silly but all of these play into what I carry, currently I power everything from 2 usb c leads (easy to replace if needed too) so adding usb c to b is another cable, or a small adaptor (I have several for lightning, micro and mini usb I carry currently).

The power supply is another, what happens if I lose it, break it, snap a pin on the adaptor due to a drunk singer a jam night. I also can’t run an IEM feed through it. Power supply is also the size of 4 NUX’s? maybe heavier.

This has lead me almost full circle to the Line 6 HX Stomp (which for some reason I’ve resisted massively even though an M13 replaced a huge pedalboard for me), again bigger than the Zoom and NUX, similar power issues to the Kemper but people have powered these from usb battery packs and 9v converters. I can live with the USB B adaptor that would be required on the Kemper. The cons are then a lack of bluetooth streaming (I can get round this with a 12 south airfly I use to connect my airpods to plane entertainment systems) and using this in the fx loop return is also how I can use the HX as an IEM mixer live, but finally no xlr.

I was so excited the HX One would be the Line 6 version of Zoom MS series.

I’m aware how specific my plight is and also how first world it is, but we’re also in the FX section of a Bass forum so I feel it fits.

Other things I’ve tried, audio interface and apps. This was my main gig rig for ages, I had a tiny line 6 sonic port, moved away from rigs and fx completely. Until a disastrous iOS update stopped the interface working. Since then much has changed, there are some really great usb c interfaces that work with my ipad (not my phone yet sadly, or not without more adaptors) and apps like Tonex are far beyond what once replaced my rig. But taking a £1500 iPad Pro that is your main work device and you make all your income on to a jam night?

Or taking your phone and having it on that same stage (when it’s the thing that holds copies of your passport, all your banking info, all your flight tickets) what do you do if that gets smashed up because you wanted to play mustang sally one night in Buenos Aires.

So I could get an iRig HD or similar and replace the NUX (but even that minimal equipment isn’t as quick and easy as the NUX) and there is this issue of with the NUX you can turn the device up and bluetooth down (or volume on your phone down) when using an audio interface there is one volume, so you find yourself turning up volumes and gain on amp sims to match the music volume.

Again minor but all of these things get in the way of an organic creative experience. That creative experience where you turn up to a jam night with a killer synth sound that you’ve been crafting whilst jamming Taylor Swift tracks or whatever floats your boat and you’re really familiar with the equipment because you spend hours and hours with it, not just an ancillary device you tack on because you wanted a bit of octave on something.

And there is my brain dump for the evening, enjoy.

• Like 1