Why become a member? ×

Mooer Prime P1

stewblack

2 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Does it have any bass amp? Or just effects?

It does have bass amps and cabs. The effects are all guitar based, but it does a clean signal blend over most of it. On the app, you have to load the firmware you want and it'll bring up all of your saved rigs. 

Screenshot_20220909-204650.thumb.png.178d813d346dbe94706057ffff33a208.png

This video has a good rundown. 

https://youtu.be/-XOA1jgnRa0

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Quick question. How is the Bluetooth connection, or more to the point, does it sync properly with video/graphics? This is a source of frustration with my Nux Mighty Plug, as I frequently play along with YouTube content and the Ultimate Guitar app and it drives my nuts when it’s out of sync by about half a second.

If I understand the question properly, you want to connect your phone to the Prime P1 with Bluetooth. Watch, listen and play along to YouTube videos via headphones which are connected to the P1.

I just set this scenario up and played a video of a bass player with the score running beneath him as he played.

The video was perfectly in sync, to my eyes and ears.

30 minutes ago, stewblack said:

If I understand the question properly, you want to connect your phone to the Prime P1 with Bluetooth. Watch, listen and play along to YouTube videos via headphones which are connected to the P1.

I just set this scenario up and played a video of a bass player with the score running beneath him as he played.

The video was perfectly in sync, to my eyes and ears.

Exactly right, and exactly the response I was hoping for. Thank you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Is there a gap or can you just get used to it and pre-press the foot switch that amount of time before you use it?

It's negligible, but of course these are the kind of things that some people live with and have others tearing their hair.

I can't imagine a guitarist liking it.

It's not so much a gap as a lack of an instant response. 

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's negligible, but of course these are the kind of things that some people live with and have others tearing their hair.

I can't imagine a guitarist liking it.

It's not so much a gap as a lack of an instant response. 

That will be because it’s bluetooth, I had the same “issue” with my ipad rig years ago. It’s just never going to be as fast as mechanical

• 4 months later...

Hey. Just received my P1 yesterday (used via ebay - I did a factory reset first thing). Sounds great so far but I have a query.

It doesn't seem to automatically reconnect with the iPhone app if I switch it off and back on again. I have to manually reconnect it via the Bluetooth button in the app. Is this normal behavior?

Seems to be that way on my android phone. The audio bluetooth connection links straight away, but I have to connect the unit for patch editing. It does remember what you were last on if you'll be sticking with one main patch and just turning it on and off for practice.

• 1 month later...

Looks good, I reckon my next headphone amp will be this Mooer Prime P1. I've owned the Vox and Nux ones but both broke (on my second Nux though as it is generally a good bit of kit).

I know it is asking a lot, but if it had a tuner then the Mooer would do me fine for band practice and perhaps  live stuff (I have a clip on tuner but it doesn't tend to work well in noisy places and on the B string). It'd be less stuff to carry and take up stage space and it reduces the amount of things to go wrong - no power supply/patch cables/multiple pedals to potentially go wrong or have unwanted settings or forget to bring, all eggs in one basket though!

I ended up selling mine after 2 or 3 weeks (I bought it used). After the initial excitement of GAS wore off and I started to properly dial in a nice patch I just couldn't dial it in the way I wanted it. On paper, the bass firmware with its split paths looked ideal, but in practice, it just didn't sound good.

• The 2 paths sounded out of phase and 'smeary' for want of a better word. It didn't sound like one, unified signal, it sounded very much like two totally independent signals that didn't gel.
  • There's a weird midrange hump on the upper portion of the signal that I just could not dial out regardless of which effects, amps and cab are engaged or bypassed. It was like that artificial low mid-bass boost you get on small speakers to make them sound bassier than they really are. The cab section made it even worse. The eq section is not flexible enough to dial this out. If the P1 could load cab IRs it might help. You should be able to set the high and low crossover to the same frequency, bypass all effects and get a ruler flat signal coming out, but it's nowhere near it.
  • I knew the pitch shift effect wasn't great from this forum, but I thought it might be passable for headphone practice. But I really didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. Totally unusable, even for headphones.
  • Something sounded amiss with streamed Bluetooth audio. I can't put my finger on what exactly, but there's something strange with the quality and eq. Nowhere near as good as other Bluetooth devices  - FWIW, my Jabra Move headphones support Bluetooth and wired connection. Streaming Bluetooth from my iPhone to the P1 with a wired headphone connection sounded much worse than audio from my iPhone straight to the same headphones via the headphone's bluetooth.

I tried downloading some presets as well to see if anyone else had success making a nice bass preset. I thought I found one, but when I examined it I realised they had simply set the crossover so high that all you got was the full range of the lower path and none of the top path.

I realise this relatively inexpensive device wasn't going to be in the same league as my Helix, but I really, really wanted it to be better. I could have possibly lived with it if it didn't have that baked-in horrible hump on the top path. As it stands I'm sticking with my little Nux Mighty Plug for the time being (although I wish that one didn't boost the bass on bluetooth audio, and the video/audio sync with youtube is dreadful). I'm considering getting a Boss Pocket GT or Hotone Ampero Mini instead, or maybe both. (I'm aware the latter doesn't have Bluetooth and needs mains power, but I might be able to live with that).

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

I know it is asking a lot, but if it had a tuner then the Mooer would do me fine for band practice and perhaps  live stuff

It does! It's in the phone app you use to control it. I've gigged with mine. It's really good 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Have you thought of a Spark Go?

I have considered it, as well as teh bigger Spark mini but they lack features I’d like.

To be honest, the product I want doesn’t exist. I wish Line 6 would revisit the pocket pod with the helix algorithms - so a smaller pod go, with Bluetooth audio, rechargeable battery and phone/tablet control. Something I can use for headphone practice, or plug into a small speaker at home, or use as a backup at gigs if my Helix fails.

• Like 1