Why become a member? ×

Another micro cab

tauzero

On 03/05/2023 at 01:39, tauzero said:

... I have a cunning plan to avoid sticking a signal up the backend of the amp module if using the cab as a cab - the amp input and output and a USB-C connector will all go to a second recessed plate, and the amp will then be connected to the speaker when I want to use it with a J-J lead, the same way as many combo amps (especially guitar) are done.

I had a plan like that, using speakons, but in a hurry, in a dark stage, I managed to connect the output of a stand alone 500W Ashdown MiBass to the output of the built-in 20W RoC amp. The MyBass won.

For the benefit of anyone else considering this, whatever you do, it has to have no option to get it wrong, because if you can, you will eventually.

David

1 hour ago, Mottlefeeder said:

I had a plan like that, using speakons, but in a hurry, in a dark stage, I managed to connect the output of a stand alone 500W Ashdown MiBass to the output of the built-in 20W RoC amp. The MyBass won.

For the benefit of anyone else considering this, whatever you do, it has to have no option to get it wrong, because if you can, you will eventually.

David

Speaker connectors are speakon/jack combos and the input and output of the amp are jack sockets, so the only issue is being wary of attaching an instrument to the output of the amp. I'd leave the jumper in place and only detach it (just one end) if I needed to use the speaker as a speaker. I suppose I could use a flying lead instead of a J-J, that would be almost entirely idiot proof (it would be possible to attach the amp input to the output still).

3 hours ago, JSbass said:

And how did the controller board and amp module perform with the Fane Sovereign?

Is the sound quality before distortion acceptable, and is the volume level enough, say, for accompanying acoustic instruments in a small gig setting?

If so, this certainly would appeal as a low cost, compact and lightweight battery powered rig.

I'm waiting for a power supply that will give 20V - at 12V it would be loud enough to accompany an acoustic instrument. Sound quality seems good before distortion.

1 hour ago, Mottlefeeder said:

My comments were intended for others contemplating this route. 

Your solution sounds fine to me.

David

TBH it also applies to me, at times I am the superior idiot. Originally I thought of using a switch to isolate the speaker and just having an input socket, but of course that relies on actually switching the switch when required.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

TBH it also applies to me, at times I am the superior idiot. Originally I thought of using a switch to isolate the speaker and just having an input socket, but of course that relies on actually switching the switch when required.

You could use a switch to connect the speaker to either the in-board amp or the speaker socket. That would be fairly foolproof.

David

On 08/05/2023 at 19:31, Mottlefeeder said:

You could use a switch to connect the speaker to either the in-board amp or the speaker socket. That would be fairly foolproof.

David

A good point. The amp module appears to have gone tits-up though following connecting it to a power supply that provided 20V. Rather puzzling. Onwards and sideways.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in the market for another amplifier, can I suggest that you consider this, or its rivals

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/6331/s/kenwood-kac-m1814-400w-class-d-4-channel-compact-digital-amplifier/category/37/

Ignore the marketing department's power rating, the CEA2006 standard defines RMS power tests into 4 ohm loads.

This has a SMPS feeding 4 Class D amps giving 4 * 45 W into 4 ohms, or as two bridged pairs, 2 * 45W into 8 ohms or 2 * 90W into 4 ohms, and it runs off an 11-15V supply. It is purpose designed for harsh environments (car boot on a sunny day) and seems to be pretty much bomb proof. It also includes a variable HPF.

I get about 3-4 hours of use from a 7AHr lead acid battery, at outdoor market busking levels with vocals, guitars and electronic drums going through the PA. You only need one channel, but you could use the other for a second cab as and when required.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder
More clarity

• 5 months later...

The more observant of you may have noticed that I made a truly awful job of the carbon fibre wrap, mainly (I think) due to using a wholly unsuitable glue. Every time I looked at it, it seared into my soul. So I took it all off, ordered some leatherette and 250ml of Evo-Stik (formerly the sniffer's glue of choice) and tried to get it right this time. It is a definite improvement, albeit still not perfect.

recovered1.thumb.jpg.bca40e122d2eeab10582d6e430cb058a.jpg

recovered2.thumb.jpg.2a08c7c82d55824f794ef59b43633006.jpg

recovered3.thumb.jpg.266fd4d83916b4fab4fadb01d2de683b.jpg

I finally got round to mentioning this because I have used it in anger, or at least mild annoyance, for the first time. There was an open mic night I'd not been to, and I took the cab, a Tecamp Puma 900 amp, and a bass with me in case there was a need for a bassist. It so happened that a couple of others that I knew from another open mic were there and both asked me to play bass, so I set up the amp and cab and - nothing! I swapped the speaker lead to the other socket and it fired into life (that was the mild annoyance). It sounded good to me, a full sound without the upper end bite that a tweeter gives, which exactly suited my needs, and it had easily enough volume to match the small PA and cajon that were in use. Now, do I build the 8" one too?

• Like 5

PS. As soon as I got home, I whipped the back off and the problem was quite evident - wires had come off an inadequately tinned speakon terminal. I had also realised that the sockets were upside down (the plug catch was on the bottom not the top) so I also rotated the socket plate 180 degrees while I was at it.

11 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Glad it is working, I’m still slightly surprised by mine when I crank it. Another outing for it tonight as it happens. 

I need to get on with the Eight and a finalised design.

One day I will take my 8 to rehearsal, just to see the look on their faces. They were shocked when I initially turned up with a single 12.

On 03/11/2023 at 22:56, Phil Starr said:

Glad it is working, I’m still slightly surprised by mine when I crank it. Another outing for it tonight as it happens. 

I need to get on with the Eight and a finalised design.

...and I still need to get the 8" drawings sorted for you!