Why become a member? ×

Bricks and Mortar Shops

Crusoe

1 hour ago, Drax said:

It’s not an either / or, we can still support independent music shops buying from them online. Matchetts is an online retailer, physical store in Belfast plus full fat e-commerce site. See also BassDirect, The Gallery.. 
There aren’t any bricks and mortar music stores that don’t also heavily rely on online sales. 

this is true, add Gak to the list, although I do all my bass related buying online I do try and avoid Thomann, I'd sooner support UK business

1 hour ago, Drax said:

It’s not an either / or, we can still support independent music shops buying from them online. Matchetts is an online retailer, physical store in Belfast plus full fat e-commerce site. See also BassDirect, The Gallery.. 
There aren’t any bricks and mortar music stores that don’t also heavily rely on online sales. 

The thing is, if they aren't getting the footfall, eventually they will go online only. I do get the arguments about buying online being convenient, but I like to be able to ask the shop assistants about the products, if necessary and try before buying. If something does go wrong, I'd rather be able to take a guitar or amp back to the shop rather than go through the hassle of having to pack it all up and arrange for it to be returned (and yes I do understand that not everyone lives close to a music shop).

39 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

The thing is, if they aren't getting the footfall, eventually they will go online only. I do get the arguments about buying online being convenient, but I like to be able to ask the shop assistants about the products, if necessary and try before buying. If something does go wrong, I'd rather be able to take a guitar or amp back to the shop rather than go through the hassle of having to pack it all up and arrange for it to be returned (and yes I do understand that not everyone lives close to a music shop).

I find I generally know more about the products I'm interested in than the folk in the shop do.

EDIT: I am not dissing them, they necessarily have to have a general, broad knowledge of lots of different things.

Edited by neepheid

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would venture that here on Basschat those of us who post reasonably frequently are not the sorts of customers the typical music shop is aiming at.

I'd wholeheartedly concur.  If you're the type of person who gets moist over new Jazz and Precision basses, then you're going to be made up visiting GAK, Andertons, Guitar Guitar etc.  There's nothing particularly special about them, they're just like instrument supermarkets, all selling the same price-fixed stuff.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'd wholeheartedly concur.  If you're the type of person who gets moist over new Jazz and Precision basses, then you're going to be made up visiting GAK, Andertons, Guitar Guitar etc.  There's nothing particularly special about them, they're just like instrument supermarkets, all selling the same price-fixed stuff.

There's plenty of those on here ;)

• Haha 1