Why become a member? ×

MarkBass Amp Differences??

Linus27

Considering getting myself a new amp and quite like the idea of giving a MarkBass a go. I play clean melodic bass lines through a Barefaced Two10 on my fretless Stingray SR4 with a little chorus or Octave. Just think your typical 80's fretless tone. I've used a MarkBass combo about 10 years ago and quite like the VLE and VPF filters. I also had a go on the Little Marcus once and was quite impressed with the tone from it. 

So my question is, what are the real difference between all of their heads? Is the Vintage or Tube heads actually different to say the Little Mark heads or are they just gimmicks? Is one head considered the best of the bunch, for example the Little Marcus or is the Vintage V2 the premier unit? I'm after something that will be clean, fairly punchy and will suit my fretless Stingray.

Several years back, I had a Markbass CMD210 combo. I really liked the sounds from it. I particularly liked those VPF and VLE filters - I always seemed to be able to get a sound I was happy with, wherever the venue and whichever rehearsal studios I played at. I also played through someone else's MB208 combo once too, and was really pleased with the sound (and volume) from that.

After trying various amp heads and a few combos, my amp of choice these days is the Markbass EVO1 head. The main reason for this, being that I need 2 separately controllable inputs - I often double up, playing bass guitar and upright. No matter what I did before (inc various A B - Y switches and separate EQ pedals) I never quite got the balance right. So the EVO1 was the answer. I really like the head - though in truth, I wish the controls were better lit.... for those dark corners of the stage I usually end up in.

The 6 separate pre-amp settings on each input are really nice too - there are some nice vintage tones among those settings.... well, I find them quite convincing anyway. And several of the pre-amp settings give a more modern, cleaner sound. If you get chance, I'd recommend giving the head a whirl - don't know where you're based? But perhaps a local BC member would let you try their amp head? You'd be welcome to have a listen to mine.

I do sometimes wish this head had those VLE & VPF filters though.....

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

I`ve had the LM3 and the LMT (tube). The tube isn`t like other amps where you get a drive/gain to the sound, it just seems to add a "shimmer" to the sound, almost like an aliveness that once turned off you really notice. I thought the LMT was a great amp.

• Like 2

I’ve had an F1, LM2, and a Marcus Goldline.

I like the brand a lot. The F1 was a bit sterile for me. The EQ on the Marcus suited me better than the LM2 but both sounded great.

I’d like to try the new Andrew Gouche AG1000 and the newish vintage heads.

After using them with a variety of cabs I have come to the conclusion that they work best with MB cabs.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 09:31, Lozz196 said:

I`ve had the LM3 and the LMT (tube). The tube isn`t like other amps where you get a drive/gain to the sound, it just seems to add a "shimmer" to the sound, almost like an aliveness that once turned off you really notice. I thought the LMT was a great amp.

The LMT interests me at the moment.

Might be because I'm on a bit of a Joe Dart kick at the moment and he seems to use one a lot.

On 25/05/2022 at 13:58, fretmeister said:

I’ve had an F1, LM2, and a Marcus Goldline.

I like the brand a lot. The F1 was a bit sterile for me. The EQ on the Marcus suited me better than the LM2 but both sounded great.

I’d like to try the new Andrew Gouche AG1000 and the newish vintage heads.

After using them with a variety of cabs I have come to the conclusion that they work best with MB cabs.

Although I've used my Markbass heads with many different  Markbass cabs over the years and really liked how they worked together, my Bergantino cabs do sound better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Well, I decided to order the AG1000.

Hopefully with me in a day or 2.

I've never played one of the 1000 watt Markbass heads but from all reports they punch like Mike Tyson. There's nothing weedy about Markbass propietary 500 and 1000 watt class D power amps. The only question is which flavour of preamp/EQ you want in front of them.

• 3 weeks later...