Why become a member? ×

No, I don't mean poops, I mean the things you sit on.

Last Saturdays gig finally drive it home that waiting for a new hip and being stood up for 3 and a half hours are largely incompatible. It hurt a lot, and I had to drug up with prescription goofballs just to get to sleep.

So I need a stool, the type guitarists sometimes use.  I'm 6'5" tall so I need the full height 70cm+ sort, which is no problem.

The real issue is that most have either a 220lb weight limit, or don't quote a weight limit at all. The problem there is that im over 270lbs.  10 or even 20 over wouldn't worry me, but 50+ over is probably pushing my luck to a dangerous degree.

So, do any of you fine fellows or fellowesses know of such a stool that is able to manage the huskier gent? Or do you know of any alternative folding type stools that might be suitable?

I don't plan to spend the while gig sat down like Val Doonican, but the chance to occasionally lean on it a bit to take the weight off my worn out parts here and there would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Dirk.

Edited by Bassfinger
Giggling at my own stool jokes

I was hoping for a poop reference and there it was in the first line. I wasn't disappointed 😂

I've got a dodgy ligament in my ankle and was wondering about something similar recently. How about one of these ....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074MBK2XD/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_P934PPTXXX11W3MHQRTX

Doesn't look as comfy as a proper guitar stool, but it does have a back rest and is foldable. So maybe a rock n roll cushion could be used to up the comfort factor?

I use one of these, 

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Koenig-Meyer-14044-Stool-black-fabric/art-ACC0004958-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=HADAqJarPzAAAAFlea9yjI.G&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi6TLgopASRDVbA3UecGjNJ_dqwyVBK-faAW8BF-x-dfcEh6XJF1MfxoCBWMQAvD_BwE

It's excellent and has no problem supporting 6 feet tall and 18 and a bit stone me.  You can find them in many shops, not just the one above.  It's got a bit more expensive than when I bought mine though.  You can also buy a back rest for it.

Edited by bertbass

I've seen various ones on Thomann for around  £30-80, and which include a bass stand. For those standing, a quick but deceptively taxing exercise called the plank is useful for strengthening core muscles, which in turn help to take the pressure off of your back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ive emailed DV's re the Koenig-Meyer job to see whatnthe load capacity is. It certainly looks beefy.  

I have two of these, one with a back-rest and one without.

Having the back-rest makes it far more comfortable and supportive BUT it also makes it a right PITA to load in/out at gigs.

• Like 1

I found this information on chairs on the internet, American but it does give max weight details:

8 Best Guitar Stools Reviewed in Detail [Mar. 2022] (primesound.org)  https://primesound.org/best-guitar/stool/

Apologies if the link does not work directly but the address is correct.

Edited by naxos10
add link