Why become a member? ×

NPD T-Rex Bass Juice

ped

Nice pedal. Really great feeling switches that click easily with hardly any travel. The pedal is more muff flavoured when pushed but does a very warm distortion at lower gain. The second foot switch massively boosts the gain (but volume stays same) giving really sludgy distortion (my phone just autocorrected that to ‘biscotti on’)

Will have to try it out with the proper rig soon. Compared to my EWS Stormy Bass Drive it’s less ‘modern’ and ‘raspy’ sounding so I’m looking forward to trying it ‘loud’

AB52BA4E-EEB2-42CF-90D9-7526A3240901.jpeg

On 19/03/2022 at 12:25, ped said:

Yeah! I’m still playing with the settings. Interesting to compare high gain with low mix versus low gain with higher mix

I’m doing the same with my new Ampeg SCRDI. High gain low blend gives a smoother sound on the eq, a better sound for fitting in the mix, lower gain higher blend gives better separation to highs & lows enabling the bass to stand out a bit more, though in each case the amount of gain/drive sounds the same.

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m doing the same with my new Ampeg SCRDI. High gain low blend gives a smoother sound on the eq, a better sound for fitting in the mix, lower gain higher blend gives better separation to highs & lows enabling the bass to stand out a bit more, though in each case the amount of gain/drive sounds the same.

An often overlook aspect of a clean blend feature. 

• 6 months later...

Only just been able to try this at volume and I'm super happy with it. Really rich distortion with a fuzz like characteristic when driven really hard. The character of the bass comes through really clearly. I don't know if it's because the bass is Danish as well as the pedal but it just sounds fantastic with my Jazz, from a Geddy kind of grind and upwards. The Boost switch is great fun too. The lows seem to 'bloom' and there's no loss of bass or boxy overtones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used one of these for years with a prog trio and it was a huge part of our sound. I used to love the bits in songs I got to use the fuzz with boost.
One thing to mention, I found it responds really differently with a hot signal into it. I used to run a sansamp vt bass always on in front of it, loads of really satisfying natural compression from the bass juice. A very underrated device. 

Edited by jonno1981

2 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

I used one of these for years with a prog trio and it was a huge part of our sound. I used to love the bits in songs I got to use the fuzz with boost.
One thing to mention, I found it responds really differently with a hot signal into it. I used to run a sansamp vt bass always on in front of it, loads of really satisfying natural compression from the bass juice. A very underrated device. 

Thanks for the tip, I certainly find it responds differently with my basses. I think the particular flavour of distortion suits a jazz bass really well. Maybe a bit weird but I rather like the style of the knobs too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@ped

I just nabbed one of these and I’m playing it primarily with a jazz bass too. Just revisiting this thread and I’ve pretty much the exact same settings for a pleasing always on sound, maybe just a ‘dot’ more of the mix added. I’m looking forward to experimenting with a few more settings but as an always on pedal the settings as posted and a jazz work well. I have stacked it with an DG Alpha Omega small enclosure pedal and they’re a great combination when combined - the TRex settings as posted and then varying the A/O ‘voice and drive’ with the the DG (low boost switch off). 

I sent my mate my VMT for a loaner and just whacked the Bass Juice in to replace it and it’s been a great addition. Really looking forward to stacking the TRex and the VMT down the line too. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I found that using the TRex with the mix and gain set down to nearly the  minimum settings 7 or 8 o’clock and using the level for a small amount of boost sounds great. Just by being switched on in the signal chain and set as described above it adds something and it’s not simply a case of the “louder sounds better” effect (even though we know it does)! Still favouring the jazz bass with this one. Looking forward to comparing it and stacking it with the new SGFX Beta MkV this weekend 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I found that using the TRex with the mix and gain set down to nearly the  minimum settings 7 or 8 o’clock and using the level for a small amount of boost sounds great. Just by being switched on in the signal chain and set as described above it adds something and it’s not simply a case of the “louder sounds better” effect (even though we know it does)! Still favouring the jazz bass with this one. Looking forward to comparing it and stacking it with the new SGFX Beta MkV this weekend 

Yeah I know what you mean, it sort of gives a bit of ‘hair’ that makes the bass almost ‘feel’ louder if that makes sense! 

• 1 month later...

I’ve been cork sniffing my ODs and Fuzz pedals again today and I still really like the Bass Juice. It breaks up the low end giving it a nice rasp without there being too end fizz when you play the skinny strings. Sounds great in a mix.